Home

Let’s talk about the 5-Out offense in Pro-Am

This is a discussion on Let’s talk about the 5-Out offense in Pro-Am within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Let’s talk about the 5-Out offense in Pro-Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmonkey92
I think you guys are blaming 2K when is OUR fault really.
Let's be honest 90% of us would prefer score points rather than playing a defensive player .

When your player has 99 3pts, 99 mid and most of his HoF badges, you don't need to be that good to score against another pure sharp and the guy you're facing doesn't need to be that good to score on you, you both CRAP on D.

To play a sharp, a stretch or a playmaker/sharp should be a very extreme and risquy bet since you know you can only do one thing and if you face a better defensive archetypes you screwed, but since the vast majority of us are also playing shooting archetypes...you're more than fine. Sure you will struggle against pure lockdown or prime or secondary lockdown ( even physical builds such as slashers) but they are so rare that it's a risk you can gladly take.

We are elite 4-5, obviously we don't play 5-out, here's our lineup

PG : Creator / playmaker (or pLay / lock)
SG : Lockdown / Slasher
SF : Creator / Sharp (or sharp / creator)
PF : Sharp / Lockdown (or lock / slasher)
P : Lockdown / Sharp (or pure post)

We are the kind of team 5-out teams hate to play against, but we're the kind of lineup they face once every 10 ou 15 games, not enough to make them re-think the viability of their 5-out.

My point is that WE created this 5-out trend by turning a basket ball game into a 3 points contest. 2K doesn't need to do anything to fix that, WE do.

2K19 is coming soon, think about it before you create your player. Keep in mind that the more 3 points build we make, the more 5-out we will face. So ask yourself what is the most annoying, not be able to shoot 3's from miles away yourself or facing 5-out 90% of the time.
Seems like a fun lineup . We don’t run 5 out either . Sometimes 4 out 1 in.

What kind offense(s) do y’all run ? Next year I want to do more work from the high post as a PF .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
too many people in this community guard players very tight than complain about blow bys...cant have it both ways. give non shooters a foot of space.
No thats only effective like 30% of the time or against people who don't know how to use the blow by. With lateral quickness being almost non existent your best bet is to anticipate where they're going and stand there. Which really is a guessing game sometimes online because of latency.

All you have to do is find the slightest angle and hit rs upwards to hit the marshawn lynch stiff arm and get them up outta there

Last edited by FixEverything2k; 08-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #35
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3

{Cut}

tl;dr Players are certainly responsible for a large chunk of the problem,but developers also own a large chunk of this too for consistently allowing this sort of play style with little to no downside.
This is a great post.

I put the majority of the onus on the development team. most of the player base, a large percentage of whom are teenagers(I think of 25 year olds as teenagers these days, but I digress), will always look for the easiest way to win, always. They will never willingly play fundamentally sound basketball unless forced to by the game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
VFL

LeBlonde James's Arena

OVR: 3

We'll see how well this works, it should stop the dribbling spam at least.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Clancy
I guess in the end, all that i'm saying is that I wish 2k promoted more diversity in playstyle. Your team is obviously high level, and works well together and that leads to your success. But i feel that is not the experience for most users. Most of us that are running in the current meta don't have the time/will/teammates to build a team solely to stop this lineup and I personally feel that nobody should be able to shoot 50% contested or super deep threes. I've played way too many walk-on games dominated by guys shooting unrealistic threes.

With that said, I fully agree with the underlying point. Geared up correctly, sharpshooting classes can be beaten. I play a lot of 3v3 park games with a friend. We both have decent defensive classes and relish matching up against sharpshooters (especially pure or pm/ss). We know exactly where they're going to be/ what they're going to do...and in the park setting it's a lot easier to shutdown.
I don't think we're that good
We like to play a certain way and it happens to also be the best way to counter the most common playstyle in the game.

I know we'rs struggling against very unselfish, low pace, spurs-like teams because these kind of team don't force anything and seems to only try to find the easiest way to score, it doesn't matter if you're a lockdown or not, an open lay-up or mid will still go in ^^

If these teams were more common then we'll be in big trouble but they're not. I really believe that there's no OP lineup or playstyle, it only depends of what and how the majority of teams play.

Sure 2K still got a lot of things to fix, but I think the whole problem is how shooting 3s is considered "cool" in the modern NBA. I don't mind people who are praising 3 points, I grew up watching and-1 mixtape on VCR and dribble was the coolest thing back then , but I do mind those who ONLY like shooting 3s and have no interest whatsoever in the other aspects of the game.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmonkey92
I think you guys are blaming 2K when is OUR fault really.
Let's be honest 90% of us would prefer score points rather than playing a defensive player .

When your player has 99 3pts, 99 mid and most of his HoF badges, you don't need to be that good to score against another pure sharp and the guy you're facing doesn't need to be that good to score on you, you both CRAP on D.

To play a sharp, a stretch or a playmaker/sharp should be a very extreme and risquy bet since you know you can only do one thing and if you face a better defensive archetypes you screwed, but since the vast majority of us are also playing shooting archetypes...you're more than fine. Sure you will struggle against pure lockdown or prime or secondary lockdown ( even physical builds such as slashers) but they are so rare that it's a risk you can gladly take.

We are elite 4-5, obviously we don't play 5-out, here's our lineup

PG : Creator / playmaker (or pLay / lock)
SG : Lockdown / Slasher
SF : Creator / Sharp (or sharp / creator)
PF : Sharp / Lockdown (or lock / slasher)
P : Lockdown / Sharp (or pure post)

We are the kind of team 5-out teams hate to play against, but we're the kind of lineup they face once every 10 ou 15 games, not enough to make them re-think the viability of their 5-out.

My point is that WE created this 5-out trend by turning a basket ball game into a 3 points contest. 2K doesn't need to do anything to fix that, WE do.

2K19 is coming soon, think about it before you create your player. Keep in mind that the more 3 points build we make, the more 5-out we will face. So ask yourself what is the most annoying, not be able to shoot 3's from miles away yourself or facing 5-out 90% of the time.

No. WE. Don't. Lol

WE do not control the REALISM of the game, 2K does. 5 out's crazy spacing (the thing needed to have all that room to get away from help defense) doesn't happen without the Limitless Range Badge. Limitless Badge on Bronze, let alone HOF, is super unrealistic. There is not ANY players besides Curry who can hit almost to half court shots consistently. And even Curry isn't as good as these HOF sharps/stretchs at long distance. That's not US, that's 2K.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is a great post.

I put the majority of the onus on the development team. most of the player base, a large percentage of whom are teenagers(I think of 25 year olds as teenagers these days, but I digress), will always look for the easiest way to win, always. They will never willingly play fundamentally sound basketball unless forced to by the game.
Right on the money, unless the developers are willing to step in and enforce some sort of standard that discourages certain styles of play, even if it means upsetting some of their fan base, the problem will remain.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith01
No. WE. Don't. Lol

WE do not control the REALISM of the game, 2K does. 5 out's crazy spacing (the thing needed to have all that room to get away from help defense) doesn't happen without the Limitless Range Badge. Limitless Badge on Bronze, let alone HOF, is super unrealistic. There is not ANY players besides Curry who can hit almost to half court shots consistently. And even Curry isn't as good as these HOF sharps/stretchs at long distance. That's not US, that's 2K.
Put 5 Curry vs 5 Nathalie Portman, I bet they'll be around 80% from 3. That's how bad defensively purely offensive builds are. The very idea behind nerfing sharps' defense was to make them less viable and THEY ARE. The only thing 2K didn't thought about is that people will STILL choose this archetypes .

Juste imagine we couldn't really choose our archetypes, that in order to keep a balanced game 2K put some quotas on what builds are availabe when we want to create a player so we could have a total of 33% defensive builds, 33% shooting builds, 33% slasher builds at any given time wether it's the first day or 1 week before the next 2K. You know what? Sharps will become the less viable builds and 5-out will be too much of a risk to be played because instead of having a terrible defender 90% of the time they will face a decent or a very good defender 66% of the time.

That's why there's no need to nerf anything, we just need to learn that too much sharp leads to 5-out, if you want less 5-out, then play some other builds

Is Kyle Korver the GOAT?? Of course not, because he's only good at shooting.But in a league where nobody can defend and all you do is basically playing a giant 3 points contest he'd probably be top 5 all time. Does that mean Kyle Korver is OP?
Same thing with center , nowadays the pace is too fast and the trend is to switch on everything, old school center can't do that , does that mean they're crap?
If suddenly every team start to play slow, old school half court basketball players like Monroe or Kanter gonna be superstar.
If in 2K the new trend is to play with a very defensive lineup then point forward, and pure post scorer will be the new OP

The impact, the viability, the value of a player is largely based on how he fits his era and how basketball is played. Unlike real NBA we are the main actors on 2K, WE decide what build and what style we play, we don't need 10 years of teaching youth how to play differently, we just need to play more archetypes and the game WILL change .

Last edited by Snowmonkey92; 08-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »