Home

New Comments from Mike Wang

This is a discussion on New Comments from Mike Wang within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #153
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New Comments from Mike Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Maybe you’re just not a good rebounder and haven’t studied the way the ball comes off the rim.
You absolutely CAN anticipate where will come off the rim based on where it’s shot from, and how the ball is positioned in the air.

Whether you get get to the spot and get the rebound is a different story.

I can promise you that you can anticipate where the ball will come off. I do it and am right about 70% of the time.
I’m sure others will agree that actually do it.
Again, you still cannot read the ball in the air the same as a player on the court. Period. If you're playing on the 2k cam and a shot comes from the corner, you have no way of knowing if that shot is in line with the hoop, or is going to hit the backboard, or even if it's going to airball.

Of course after the ball hits the rim you know where it's going to go. I'm talking about being able to anticipate the ball's trajectory after it leaves the shooters hands. You cannot do that in the game the same way you can in real life. You can't tell if the ball is going to hit back rim, front rim, inside or outside, etc., until after it happens.

Quote:
If you want rebounding to be a skill, they need to stop with just tapping Y and being sucked to the ball. They need to stop with the 7’3 max wingspan cheese. They need to add in ways to counter a box out, especially against smaller lighter builds. And they need to remove all of the artificial boosts and hand holding.
This I agree with completely. I've been complaining about being sucked into boxout animations for years. And I said earlier that the actual handholding of warping rebounds needs to be fixed for the takeover idea to be a realistic addition.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #154
Pro

New Comments from Mike Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Again, you still cannot read the ball in the air the same as a player on the court. Period. If you're playing on the 2k cam and a shot comes from the corner, you have no way of knowing if that shot is in line with the hoop, or is going to hit the backboard, or even if it's going to airball.

Of course after the ball hits the rim you know where it's going to go. I'm talking about being able to anticipate the ball's trajectory after it leaves the shooters hands. You cannot do that in the game the same way you can in real life. You can't tell if the ball is going to hit back rim, front rim, inside or outside, etc., until after it happens.

This I agree with completely. I've been complaining about being sucked into boxout animations for years. And I said earlier that the actual handholding of warping rebounds needs to be fixed for the takeover idea to be a realistic addition.

You absolutely can read where the ball will likely go. I’m sorry that you can’t but many of us can.
Sure, it’s not exactly like it would be on the court because a real ball bounces different.
But 2k only has certain animations of what the ball does and if you learn those and learn when and from where they trigger from, you can a very high percentage of the time “know” where the ball will come off.

Just because you can’t, doesn’t mean that no one can!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by awg811; 08-18-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #155
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
You absolutely can read where the ball will likely go. I’m sorry that you can’t but many of us can.
Sure, it’s not exactly like it would be on the court because a real ball bounces different.
But 2k only has certain animations of what the ball does and if you learn those and learn when and from where they trigger from, you can a very high percentage of the time “know” where the ball will come off.

Just because you can’t, doesn’t mean that no one can!

I apologize for wanting the game to strive for realism. But again, as someone who plays using the broadcast camera, it is not possible to accurately predict where the ball is going to go until it hits the rim. And 2k having a limited number of animations for the ball hitting the rim is not an answer, because they should be trying to move to RTP where it would be 100% dynamic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #156
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
I apologize for wanting the game to strive for realism. But again, as someone who plays using the broadcast camera, it is not possible to accurately predict where the ball is going to go until it hits the rim. And 2k having a limited number of animations for the ball hitting the rim is not an answer, because they should be trying to move to RTP where it would be 100% dynamic.

The easy fix here would be to play on the camera that 90% of the community plays on........

I’m not gonna lie IMO the only people HEATED about glass cleaners getting the rebound landing point is guys who were already crappy rebounders. In my mind glass cleaners were fairly useless in 2018 because i could out rebounding them most the time. I think this takeover mechanic revitalizes glass cleaners to their 2k17 glory and I’m ok with that. Think bringing back fade ace and post proficiency for post scorers is next. Restricting shoot my badges to only sharps would be a nice touch as well. I don’t think my pure post should get midrange deadeye. If I’m good with my release I’m hitting midranges anyway. It’s overkill

Old 08-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #157
MVP

Quote:
This sounds like a problem with the Broadcast camera view. Maybe they should look into fixing that sort of stuff before they get into any more excessive hand holding than there already is.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #158
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
The easy fix here would be to play on the camera that 90% of the community plays on........
I prefer the broadcast camera lol. I like the game to look, sound, and play as much like what we see on TV as possible. Sure, the 2k camera makes things easier, but the broadcast camera just looks so much better, and adds to the immersion.

Quote:
This sounds like a problem with the Broadcast camera view. Maybe they should look into fixing that sort of stuff before they get into any more excessive hand holding than there already is.
Or they could work on alleviating the unrealistic issues like warping and being sucked into animations, while giving the players tools to make them feel more like themselves. I'm always hoping they choose the latter.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #159
MVP

Quote:
I prefer the broadcast camera lol. I like the game to look, sound, and play as much like what we see on TV as possible. Sure, the 2k camera makes things easier, but the broadcast camera just looks so much better, and adds to the immersion.

Or they could work on alleviating the unrealistic issues like warping and being sucked into animations, while giving the players tools to make them feel more like themselves. I'm always hoping they choose the latter.
I understand where you are coming from; I just prefer they did things in smaller steps;tweak the cameras a little and fix the warping/vaccuum animations first then see how much that helps.

Tacking another system on just feels like they didn't even try, but just threw their hands up and said "We can't fix it, let's just add something else on and hope it fixes the new problem".

Sooner or later they need to stop sticking more band aids on these long standing issues, get in there, and really fix it, even if it means a complete rebuild from the ground up.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #160
Pro

Quote:

I understand your issues with the broadcast camera and that’s probably the reason that most people play on 2k cam.
You just have a better view of everything going on on the court.

As far as the realism thing, if you could show me a real player that gets some kind of arrow to show them where to go, I’ll agree.
But, until then it’s not realistic.

I promise you that it’s possible to anticipate where the ball will come off without help of hand holding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »