Home

VC in 2k19

This is a discussion on VC in 2k19 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #73
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: VC in 2k19

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
I think the complainers are missing the boat, not 2K.

A 'single-player' experience like MyCareer is only fun if you start out lower and have something to work towards. That means grinding and skill ups. VC is no different than in-game currency in any other game like gold in a basic rpg - other than that you can buy it. If they're honest, that's the only thing that people take issue with. It's a psychological barrier where people can't cope with a company taking real money for fake currency.

But arguing against virtual currency in an explicitly RPG mode? That argument was lost decades ago in gaming.

Want to be awesome right away? Start a MyLeague and shoot a bunch of 3s with Steph Curry. Nothing crippled about that.
No. Most gamers have accepted the existence of virtual currency in most video games. That's not the problem. The problem is that 2K took a yearly game and designed it in manner where the grind could LITERALLY be longer than the shelf life of the game itself. In RPG games, I can take as long as I want leveling up, because the grind doesn't impact my overall enjoyment of the game. The game releases in two weeks, and I just got to a 85 overall. My Player is not a single campaign. The story is just one big ad. My Player is a multiplayer experience falling in the lines of COD, Halo, League of Legends, Smite, etc. People play the mode to compete against the other players.

Just imagine playing COD, but the experience points were so stingy (for an average player) that it could take you a year to prestige once. People would be in an uproar.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 AM   #74
MVP

zello144's Arena

For realism purposes I'd like them to inflate the value of VC. If that makes any sense.

I'd like contracts in Mycareer to be a bit realistic. Of course everything would be more expensive. But signing a contract for 5 million VC per year looks better than 500vc per game.

Either that or just rename it to dollars. I don't like my player being paid in gold coins.

Last edited by zello144; 08-20-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #75
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

A 'single-player' experience like MyCareer is only fun if you start out lower and have something to work towards. That means grinding and skill ups. VC is no different than in-game currency in any other game like gold in a basic rpg - other than that you can buy it. If they're honest, that's the only thing that people take issue with. It's a psychological barrier where people can't cope with a company taking real money for fake currency.

But arguing against virtual currency in an explicitly RPG mode? That argument was lost decades ago in gaming.

Want to be awesome right away? Start a MyLeague and shoot a bunch of 3s with Steph Curry. Nothing crippled about that.
Then they need to get rid of the storylines, bring back G-League & Summer League.

Like I said before, MLB The Show got rid of 'stubs' (their virtual currency) in the single player mode. You only get better by playing games & training and it takes quite a long time to level up your guy. SDS is probably getting complaints about it, would not be surprised at all.

But coincidentally, FIFA doesn't give you the opportunity to buy your way up either. Play & train to get better (in both their single player story mode, and Career single player that I can eventually transition to coach -- zero microtransactions).

Pretty sure NHL's 'Be A Pro' doesn't let you purchase your way to a higher rating.

Does Live do it? Haven't played it in a while, but I don't think they do (someone else can chime in if I'm wrong)

So at a minimum, that's 3 popular sports franchises that I know don't do it (one deciding to make the change going away from it), and a 4th that I'm pretty sure doesn't.

Take 2 Interactive has VC in 2K as a primary source of revenue, and unapologetically so. Maybe they view themselves as the vanguard of microtransations in sports games, and are never stepping away from it...but it's not the norm in single player modes.

Which is why MyCareer & Park/Pro-Am need to be separated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #76
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Forgot about Madden in the above post. They don't have microtransations in Longshot or a player career in franchise.

That's approx. 5 big-name, officially licensed, sports titles with primarily offline single player modes, that don't force microtransactions on you because "omg it's soooo hard to get better."

If the argument is that VC is needed so players online can keep up & compete, why is their gateway to getting online through an offline mode?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
Then they need to get rid of the storylines, bring back G-League & Summer League.

Like I said before, MLB The Show got rid of 'stubs' (their virtual currency) in the single player mode. You only get better by playing games & training and it takes quite a long time to level up your guy. SDS is probably getting complaints about it, would not be surprised at all.

But coincidentally, FIFA doesn't give you the opportunity to buy your way up either. Play & train to get better (in both their single player story mode, and Career single player that I can eventually transition to coach -- zero microtransactions).

Pretty sure NHL's 'Be A Pro' doesn't let you purchase your way to a higher rating.

Does Live do it? Haven't played it in a while, but I don't think they do (someone else can chime in if I'm wrong)

So at a minimum, that's 3 popular sports franchises that I know don't do it (one deciding to make the change going away from it), and a 4th that I'm pretty sure doesn't.

Take 2 Interactive has VC in 2K as a primary source of revenue, and unapologetically so. Maybe they view themselves as the vanguard of microtransations in sports games, and are never stepping away from it...but it's not the norm in single player modes.

Which is why MyCareer & Park/Pro-Am need to be separated.
To answer your question, the Career mode in Live does not feature microtransactions, it uses an XP system.

As has been stated before,since the success of GTA5 Online Take 2 Interactive games have been increasingly designed as a platform for the sale of microtransactions. They will continue to push the envelope until enough people get tired of paying full price for a game with the economy of a "F2P" mobile game and the "VC Bubble" finally bursts.

Hopefully this comes sooner rather than later.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #78
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
No. Most gamers have accepted the existence of virtual currency in most video games. That's not the problem. The problem is that 2K took a yearly game and designed it in manner where the grind could LITERALLY be longer than the shelf life of the game itself. In RPG games, I can take as long as I want leveling up, because the grind doesn't impact my overall enjoyment of the game. The game releases in two weeks, and I just got to a 85 overall. My Player is not a single campaign. The story is just one big ad. My Player is a multiplayer experience falling in the lines of COD, Halo, League of Legends, Smite, etc. People play the mode to compete against the other players.

Just imagine playing COD, but the experience points were so stingy (for an average player) that it could take you a year to prestige once. People would be in an uproar.
Main reason why I think VC won't go anywhere soon is because they must get a lot of revenue from microtransctions and advertisement. Like you said the story was one big advertisement. The story had no sense of purpose, but to show advertisements. Really besides the Dame Lillard stuff(which was still unnecessary), the whole DJ stuff didn't have a purpose in the story. Even 2k16 story had a sense of purpose, despite of the disapproval of it. It is one thing to be forced to watch a story line with unskippable cutscenes. But it is another thing to be forced to watch advertisements. Felt like a big commercial.
So with the revenue their getting, I just don't see them changing any time soon
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #79
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

VC in 2k19

Quote:

Just...no. No one is asking to start out as a perrenial all star out of the gate. We just want a player with a realistic skill set and the athleticism of a NBA player.

And again, if you want to compare it to RPGs, then you need to compare every aspect, not just one. In RPGs, the enemies generally scale based on expected progression. That is not the case in 2k; Lebron is going to be just as highly rated in the first game of your rookie season as in your last. Every opponent will outmatch you, and you essentially need to rely on exploiting the game's weaknesses (read poor AI) in order to advance. If you actually play a realistic brand of basketball based on your player's attributes, you'll barely touch the ball.

As far as currency, what RPG uses gold, gil, coins, etc. as a means to level up? Those are used to buy items and accessories, and leveling up is done via experience. And the prices for things like accessories, single use potions, etc. are reasonable in relation to how much currency you earn. Not at all the case in 2k, as the economy in the game is straight up extortion. Everything uses VC, and the ratio of cost to earnings is ridiculously skewed. Hell, even to change your animation for a crossover costs a full game's earnings. And that's assuming you're already a high enough level to unlock it, which then promotes paying for VC just to be able to unlock the ability to pay VC for specific items.

And MyLeague with player lock is not the answer. While the ridiculous, forced storyline could go away (or at least become skippable), things like earning endorsements, contract negotiations as a player, etc. are not available outside My Career.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by El_Poopador; 08-20-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #80
Rookie

Chillyt200's Arena

VC doesn't bother me as much as the slow grind. Because you can have 15 million dollars in VC and still have that super slow grind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »