Home

What I like to see in MyCareer 2020

This is a discussion on What I like to see in MyCareer 2020 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What I like to see in MyCareer 2020

Doubt most of these will be on 19 so gonna start the wishlist early to hopefully get the ball rolling.

First, please give us the chance edit the rosters before we start the mode, not the ability to edit players’ ratings but to add legends to the game to give us rivals. If you make a SG why wouldn’t you want to go play against Jordan, Kobe, McGrady or more? Making a big man? Take on prime Shaq, Hakeem and the admiral. Would also like the ability to reset mycareer without losing your progress so if there was a big trade or a player breaks out (George/Oladipo) you can update the roster and keep your ratings.

Instead of one story line, there should at least be three. Each having a different path to the nba. The first being a “high school phenom” going through college and then the draft combine to up your draft stock.(basically 2k17). During the combine you will get private workouts with teams that are interested in you. Also the better you do in this process along with where you’re drafted effects you overall. Instead of starting at 60, you could be as high as 79 if you become the first pick. A different path would be “an international player.” It would be nice if we could get back all the euro-league teams back because you’d play you’re way to the championship.(Think Doncic) After that you’d get the same private workout with teams interested in drafting you. Finally the last path would be “the walk on”. You choose your teams’ g-league affiliate, play most the season in the g-league, eventually earn a 2-way or a couple of 10 day contracts and manage to get some nba action at the end of the season.

The first two paths you will get a chance to win ROY and the accolades to go with it. The third option, while impossible to win ROY you get to choose what team you want to play for and get a chance to win the most improved player the following year. Each path would have their own story lines with cut scenes(with the option to skip) I think having multiple stories would give tremendous re pay value.

As far as the playground goes. It had its issues, but there is a good foundation to build on. They said they tried to bring an open-box feel to it a la GTA. What it turned into was a long tedious drag to do anything. Even changing hair styles was a ridiculous process that triggered cut scene that you couldn’t skip. Like GTA they need to streamline us the ability to change styles, (hairstyle, shirt, pants, shoes and accessories) we’ve saved, on the fly so we don’t have to run back to our apartment every time we need to change the color of a headband. While we’re on accessories, please get everything that was worn be in the game. Talking face masks, goggles/glasses, Ben Wallace’s high arm bands. Maybe give us the option to have a text on our elbow pads likes “the answer” or “the truth”.

For pro am we need to go back to 2k16. Let everyone have their own team and people who are in your pro am court will play on your team at that time. I hate that you have to leave/disband your main pro am team if you want to play with another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Rookie

Chillyt200's Arena

Re: What I like to see in MyCareer 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barond57
Doubt most of these will be on 19 so gonna start the wishlist early to hopefully get the ball rolling.

First, please give us the chance edit the rosters before we start the mode, not the ability to edit players’ ratings but to add legends to the game to give us rivals. If you make a SG why wouldn’t you want to go play against Jordan, Kobe, McGrady or more? Making a big man? Take on prime Shaq, Hakeem and the admiral. Would also like the ability to reset mycareer without losing your progress so if there was a big trade or a player breaks out (George/Oladipo) you can update the roster and keep your ratings.

Instead of one story line, there should at least be three. Each having a different path to the nba. The first being a “high school phenom” going through college and then the draft combine to up your draft stock.(basically 2k17). During the combine you will get private workouts with teams that are interested in you. Also the better you do in this process along with where you’re drafted effects you overall. Instead of starting at 60, you could be as high as 79 if you become the first pick. A different path would be “an international player.” It would be nice if we could get back all the euro-league teams back because you’d play you’re way to the championship.(Think Doncic) After that you’d get the same private workout with teams interested in drafting you. Finally the last path would be “the walk on”. You choose your teams’ g-league affiliate, play most the season in the g-league, eventually earn a 2-way or a couple of 10 day contracts and manage to get some nba action at the end of the season.

The first two paths you will get a chance to win ROY and the accolades to go with it. The third option, while impossible to win ROY you get to choose what team you want to play for and get a chance to win the most improved player the following year. Each path would have their own story lines with cut scenes(with the option to skip) I think having multiple stories would give tremendous re pay value.

As far as the playground goes. It had its issues, but there is a good foundation to build on. They said they tried to bring an open-box feel to it a la GTA. What it turned into was a long tedious drag to do anything. Even changing hair styles was a ridiculous process that triggered cut scene that you couldn’t skip. Like GTA they need to streamline us the ability to change styles, (hairstyle, shirt, pants, shoes and accessories) we’ve saved, on the fly so we don’t have to run back to our apartment every time we need to change the color of a headband. While we’re on accessories, please get everything that was worn be in the game. Talking face masks, goggles/glasses, Ben Wallace’s high arm bands. Maybe give us the option to have a text on our elbow pads likes “the answer” or “the truth”.

For pro am we need to go back to 2k16. Let everyone have their own team and people who are in your pro am court will play on your team at that time. I hate that you have to leave/disband your main pro am team if you want to play with another.
Not bad ideas
Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
Rookie

Definitely would like the ability to edit the rosters before starting My Career. Sometimes the starting lineups and/or rotations are way off for teams. Lonzo Ball shouldn't be starting off the bench after IT. Also it would help to edit player tendencies because the Celtics and Raptors always suck every year in the east while their real life counterparts are always good. I would like some input in how they play to edit the player tendencies and make it more realistic.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #4
MVP

zello144's Arena

If you've seen my posts here over the years about MyCareer this may look familiar. This is mainly a focus on the NBA side of the game though.

We should be able go back to college for few years up to 4 years max for those who do not want to be a one and done they could do something similar to what MLB the show does with it's Amateur showcase if you weren't satisfied with how you did you could go back for a year as long as you were still eligible. It'd also give us an opportunity to create older players if we don't want to be 19.

I'd like to see Mock Drafts during college/overseas so we can get a clearer picture of where we're projected to go. Would make the decision of either declaring for the draft or staying in college for another year much more easier.

Don't want to go college? No problem play a short 8 game season overseas in Europe or since 2K19 introduced Chinese teams China. You'll earn more VC if you go the overseas route because you're a professional now and not a Student-Athlete.

Choosing an Agent

The agent plays very important part in your career negotiating your NBA contracts and endorsement deals. It's been disappointing that NBA 2k has really downplayed that role and made them an annoying side character for the story instead. You don't have to be loyal to them and can fire them at any time remember they work for you. Each Agent should be different each with their own perks and benefits. Signing with one agent might lead to better money but he has too many clients and hardly has any time for you. Signing with another agent might who might treat you like family but he isn't good at getting you good deals. Another guy might get you good endorsements from companies but is terrible at getting NBA teams to bring out the brinks truck.

NBA Draft & Combine

I have a problem with the whole MyCareer draft process it just doesn't seem very realistic.

We don't really have a draft combine sure you could say that the college games kinda count but it's college the NBA is a different animal. Even if you have a good college career or a decent one the NBA combine can either improve your draft stock or harm it.

Recently it feels like the whole Pre-draft process has been ignored. We don't even meet with teams before the draft like in previous years for pre draft interviews. After you finish the college games it just skips straight into the draft it really takes away from the immersion and experience of the journey of getting into the NBA.

In addition to the combine we should also be able to attend workouts with other teams and schedule interviews with them.

Teams meet with players before the draft to interview them or invite them over for a workout to see if they really fit their team. In 2k it feels like the teams that draft you don't really take anything into consideration they probably threw a bunch of names at a wall and picked you at random it becomes frustrating when they already have a better player at your position and draft you it really takes the fun out of it.

One thing to keep in mind is you DONT have to attend every workout and you DONT have to interview with every team. Maybe you can pull a Kobe or Lonzo Ball and tell teams not to draft you and that you won't be attending their workouts.

Now on to the actual draft. The draft since 2k16 and 2k17 has been disappointing I miss the old draft they had where you got to walk across the stage and shake the commissioners hand.

I want to see everything in this video from start to end

I know we can't really have commentary during the draft and I'm fine with it but can you show a short Pre draft show with Ernie, Kenny, and Shaq?

Then after we get picked have them do a breakdown and analysis

MLB the Show does it where the announcers give their predictions and analysis about your player when you get drafted even if it is short.

It's time to stop the forced scripting we've been forced to be a 1st round draft pick no matter how hard you try since 2k12 we've been forced to be a 1st rounder (except for 2k15, 2k18, and probably 2k19 where we were forced to go undrafted the point still stands though.) One of the things I liked about 2k11 was that I could have fallen down into the 2nd round really making every MyPlayer's experience unique. It wouldn't hurt either to go undrafted.

Summer League & Training Camp

Summer league, training camps, and the preseason to help build our overalls that can also be skipped.

In the summer league if your a 1st rounder it's the first time you get to play and fans get to see you, if you're a 2nd rounder or undrafted playing in the summer league you're trying to show everyone that you can play and get an invite to training camp.

Training camp

Hard Knocks NBA edition

Congratulations! you survived the summer league and didn't get cut give us training camp to fight for a spot on the roster and minutes.
If you're a High pick or late 1st rounder your spot might be secure but if you're a 2nd rounder or undrafted you must try not to get cut or risk starting in the season in the G-league.

One thing to remember is that it can all be skipped or simmed through.

G-League

With it returning in 2k19 in 2k20 there should be promotions/demotions throughout the season. If you're playing on a team that has a star or a better player at your position you might not get a lot of playing time and maybe being sent down would help your development or if you're playing terrible the team may demote you to the G-league until you improve.

MLB the show does this well if you're a struggling rookie or playing behind a star and have a bench role you would split time between AAA and the MLB level during the season. If you go undrafted and can't land a spot on any NBA team and don't want to go overseas you would start the season in the G-league.
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/10/1...-d-league-time

For those who hate grinding away in the G-league it's not the most popular option but just buy a lot of VC and you'll get called up and put on the NBA roster.

Coach Sitdowns

I would really like to sit down with the coach and discuss my minutes. Something similar to the GM sit downs in 2k13 but this time with the coach.
"Hey coach I've been playing well off the bench maybe I should get more playing time." or "I've been playing too much and it's harming the team I think you should give someone else a shot.

When you want someone else to get more minutes because you play well with them. "Yo coach you should give [Insert player name here] more time he really helps a lot late in games and can help us get a lot more W's you should really give him more minutes.

I should not be starting ahead of someone rated higher than me and if I go to a different team I should not be guaranteed the starting spot.

Minutes should be dynamic they should go up and down throughout the season. Once you become a starter in the game you're automatically a starter after that no matter what. What If I begin to play bad I should be back on the bench If I have a good couple of games I should be seeing more minutes being locked into minutes that don't change really takes a lot of the realism away.

What if I enjoy helping my team coming off the bench like Manu Ginobli? Being able to ask for a bench role would be great.

Now 2k18 does have it where you can change your minutes but you must be at 90 Overall and it sometimes changes it back.

Shoe Deals
Shoe deals need to improve for MyCareer in NBA 2k20

I propose that they have contract lengths instead of the system we have now where if you sign a deal with a brand you're pretty much locked in with them for the duration of the deal unless you violate the terms and play with a different brand and they terminate your contract.

In 2k18 my SF has a deal with Nike. As I got farther in the game I realized that I didn't want to wear Nike anymore and wanted to sign with Adidas. There is no contract length to my deal so I'm locked in with Nike until they terminate my contract if I wear a different shoe and I don't want to do that since 2k18 has had a lot of problems I don't want to lose a shoe deal and end up with nothing.

In the real NBA players sign contracts with brands for a certain amount of years like James Harden and Adidas.

James Harden signed a $200 Million 13 year contract with adidas. After those 13 years are up he is a free agent again.

Or like Kawhi Leonard's current deal with Jordan which expires on October 1st.

Yes some guys have lifetime deals like Lebron and Nike or Stephen Curry and Under Armour but that is very rare and not everyone in the NBA has a lifetime deal.

I propose we introduce contract negotiation for shoe deals.

Much like an NBA contract we tell the shoe company how much money we want and how many years we want and they tell you how much they are willing to pay you and at what tier.

Much like an NBA contract we tell the shoe brand how much money we want and how many years we want and they tell you how much they are willing to pay you and at what tier.

Also they don't have to give into your demands. You might have some issues coming to terms with them on money Kawhi Leonard currently gets paid $500k from his Jordan deal and that's brought up some issues between them especially now since his contract expires in October.

You may get a lot of money from a company but they won't give you a signature shoe. Or You might get less money from a company but they might give you free shoes/discounts and more VC from performance bonuses if you make the All star team or win the MVP award.

Also we should be able to sign with Anta, Li-Ning, and Reebok. They're in the game and we should be able to sign with them instead of being stuck with Under Armour, Nike, Jordan, and Adidas.

Or an even crazier idea. Start your own shoe brand.

this since you are starting your own company. You'll be responsible for creating the shoe and marketing it as well as growing the brand itself. You'll design the commercials (obviously not very in depth just 3-4 already created commercials and you pick one). You can however have full control on how you design the billboards and posters.

You'll also hire a couple of people to help handle the business side of things maybe a MYGM type screen with a list of available candidates.

Rome wasn't built in a day so don't expect to earn a lot of VC just because you're your own boss or see your shoe brand to grow as big as Nike overnight. The success of the brand would depend on your players popularity and how well you market the brand. Starting off your own brand you'd earn less VC than if you had a shoe deal with a company like Nike, Jordan, Adidas, Under Armour, but as you grow you'll earn more I'd say maybe max would be like 5-6k VC per check maybe 7k if you're really good at it.

You'd also be able to sign other players to the brand but since that brings another issue of real world contracts and ruining the image of the brand or whatever. I'd say just limit that to CPU generated Rookies and whoever is the 2k Created story character teammate like Shammy Wells or Justice Young. You could attempt to convince established NBA stars in text messages to sign with your brand but they'd just laugh you off and reject your offer everytime kinda like the Lavar Ball texts in 2k18.

The Story...

Since 2k14 we've had a storyline in MyCareer ever since a story element was introduced I haven't been much of a fan of it. I like to create multiple players and with a storyline everybody's pretty much gonna end up having the same story which takes out a lot of the replay value from the game. With it also being scripted it takes a lot of control away from the player. Instead I'd like to see different storylines.

For a mode that claims to be an RPG it's disappointing that there are very few choices aside from what skills to upgrade and what MyPark clothes to buy.

Start with choosing our background

The inner city kid trying to make the NBA

The guy from the suburbs who tries to prove that he belongs where everyone thinks he was handed everything from the start but actually busts his *** off like everybody else. Something like this

The son of a former player trying to live up to his fathers legacy and maybe pass him.

The international guy who played ball in another country trying to make it in America and in the NBA. Who has a cousin that loves basketball and Bowling

Then of course during our careers lots of storylines should happen what if after playing on the same team for a couple of seasons and tired of losing you sign with a different team.

Expect a lot of boo's when you return wearing a different jersey

Switch teams constantly and show no loyalty fans and commentators will consider you a mercenary that is only chasing after rings.

Play rough and violent like Draymond Green and other players will hate you.

A Rivalry with a player that goes way back and you have a history with him? Something like Magic and Bird. Sure we saw a rivalry playout in 2k14 with Jackson Ellis but it was pretty weak.

What if we're one of the most explosive players in the league and we get injured?

After playing for 20 years we're trying to chase one final ring before it's all said and done?

The Offseason

Sometimes the NBA season is won in the offseason. Right now the game just sims the offseason and goes straight to the start of the next season. What if I want to lose some pounds and get skinnier or bulk up and get more muscles? In the offseason we should be able to workout with other players and improve our game.

Since the season is over our schedule is more open and we're available to do commercials for companies and do more endorsements.

The connections we make with other players should also help if we have a connection with a few players we should be able to recruit them to team up together and form a superteam.

Also we should know what's going on around the league during the offseason as well like retirements, and Free agent signings.

Free Agency

Free Agency needs some work

Include the salary cap if I ask for more money and the team goes over the cap they might not be able to sign other expensive Free agents.

I'd like to have a better negotiation process similar to what we have in MyGm. I don't like that you can only submit an offer or two. Let me tell my agent what teams I want to meet with and schedule meetings with them in addition to other teams that might want to sign you.

There should be a calendar and let it be a back and forth between you and the team sometimes in some extreme cases you could even hold out signing with a team until the start of the NBA season if you don't like their offer like what Jr Smith and Tristan Thompson did with the Cavaliers.

Let me ask for a no trade clause and let me tell them how many years I want and at what price. Whether or not you get that depends on the agent you have the better he is you have a higher chance that you end with something you like it's a negotiation let us negotiate!

They should try to wine and dine you to convince you to sign with them give us a preview of what the team offers and the projected roster if you join them and how you fit in kind of what 2k14 did with the pre draft interviews and when you got traded.

Contract buyouts should be included if we're a veteran on a losing team and want to go to a contender.

Contract extensions should return like in 2k13 if you like the team you're on and the situation you have let me have sign a contract extension to stay with the team.

Misc Stuff
Also let us sim games in the playoffs many times I've played on teams I don't want to play for and I just wanted to get through the season so I could hit free agency.

Improve the post game press interviews make them in the locker room. If I'm an unknown player maybe I get a reporter or two asking me questions but If I'm a superstar in the league there should be a lot of reporters all over the place like this.

Improve the celebration when we win the finals. If I win the finals MVP let my player have an acceptance speech.

Also please give us a locker room celebration with the entire team in there throwing champagne,the media, celebrities etc...
Since we can't have champagne change it to sprite or gatorade

More MyCourt Customization I want an outdoor rooftop Mycourt

Last edited by zello144; 08-22-2018 at 06:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »