Home

Player Archetypes (Strengths vs. Weaknesses

This is a discussion on Player Archetypes (Strengths vs. Weaknesses within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Rookie

Chillyt200's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player Archetypes (Strengths vs. Weaknesses

I'm thinking about a Play Making Slasher PG this year but of course I gotta see what the caps will be
Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
Rookie

Vic_Clancy's Arena

I've thought on the express question a lot (build to strengths or build to fun), and the answer is....it depends. Depends on who you're playing with.

First, for me, the two are intricately tied. Ideally, i'd like to make a build that caters 100% to my preferences. I'd be a 6'1 shot creating playmaker Chris Paul build. But in reality, if I did that, the build wouldn't be competitive in the park/pro-am and I'm not going to have fun.

So back to my answer. It depends. If you're playing off-line, think through how you'd like to play, then use one of the online build generators to optimize your build. Your character will work perfectly fine.

If you're playing online with friends who understand your play style, you have a little more room to build towards your preferred build. My primary build is a 6'4 pm/sc and I like playing as a pass first PG. It works well when I play with my friend who is a tall forward, who feeds me the ball off rebounds and cuts. We both have big games and good win percentages. But when I play without him, I often times end up lost in the shuffle, wanting a different build.

If you mostly run park/pro-am solo. I'd recommend a build 6'7 or better, that can do a particular thing very well. In park, this allows you to compete on the boards and be able create your own shot on the other end. Often times in the park, people are duo'd up and not going to create for you, or move well enough to be created for... in pro-am, this gives you some flexibility in position (nothing is worse than being 6'4 PG and having to guard a 6'9 SG) and a skill that you can demonstate that will encourage your teammates to give you the ball.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
Pro

Yeah I think Vic nails it. I primarily play solo so having an effective build generally leads to me having more fun than using a “fun” build. I created a Post Scorer first last year because the plethora of offensive moves excited me. I had a blast offline but then I went online and realized no one would feed me in the post. Or the second I got the ball, a handful of guys would run into the paint. It got old fast and pretty soon I saw people really only passed to me on cuts and I was barely using any Post moves at all.

So I created a Two-Way Rebounder and the impact I could have on a game went up huge because it didn’t rely so much on the rest of my team.

Next I created a Pure Athletic and, like Vic mentioned, it was easier to demonstrate early what I was good at when I would yam on people. After that getting touches wasn’t such a chore.

So yeah, if you primarily play solo, I would suggest you pick a build that’s very proficient at something. If randoms can’t figure out what it is you “do”, they’ll often just freeze you out.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »