Home

Reaction to Year 2 of The Park/Neighborhood

This is a discussion on Reaction to Year 2 of The Park/Neighborhood within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: Reaction to Year 2 of The Park/Neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I don't necessarily have anything against the new content.

I would simply rather they would focus on doing a number of things nearly perfectly than overdiversifying and doing tons of things " just alright" then having people from both sides complain about a myriad of issues all year long, as is often the case with the NBA2K series.
No game can afford to do that and survive in today's market. Back on old gen the complaint was that every year 2k just add's animations. Some of what you see now is in response to that. NBA2k is competing with GTA RDR2 and other games of that ilk now. There are incredible games being released and a game that only focused on NBA basketball probably wouldn't make enough to keep being made.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

All I wanted out of the neighborhood was to not need to hike from mycourt to change clothing to the gym to get my turbo up to the courts to actually play.

Also, would be nice if your party didn’t get automatically disbanded after a loss in pickup ball.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
No game can afford to do that and survive in today's market. Back on old gen the complaint was that every year 2k just add's animations. Some of what you see now is in response to that. NBA2k is competing with GTA RDR2 and other games of that ilk now. There are incredible games being released and a game that only focused on NBA basketball probably wouldn't make enough to keep being made.
While I don't agree 100%, I can respect your opinion.It might just be me getting older; I see more of an increasingly disproportional ratio between NBA and Non-NBA related content, if you will.

I will freely admit to being somewhat of an alternate thinker who prefers a focused experience and is not at all into pop culture, so maybe for me it just misses the mark.

That being said, I'm willing to at least try and have an open mind about it, just from my perspective it worries me at first glance.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #20
Rookie

BigDaneAyMane's Arena

OVR: 1

I could understand all the complaining about 2k "no longer being about basketball" if they completely abandoned or minimally upgraded franchise/MyGM like EA and The Show has done to some some extent except, HELLO, they probably made the biggest leap in franchise mode history with all the changes announced in the MyLeague blog AND they are bringing all those changes to MyLeague online. All these park add-ons are in addition to what I feel are already some excellent new features for offline players, not in spite of.

It makes perfect sense for 2K to also want to appeal to a casual crowd (though I would also argue MyCareer, Pro-Am, Park Players are way less "casual" 2K players than offline players seem to think). I hope all these fun park changes finally pry my sons away from Fornite and maybe they'll want to finally play some 2K with me.

Last edited by BigDaneAyMane; 08-30-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 10

This is how I feel, along w/ a crazy simile.

It's like you talk to your friend and he's like damn, I saw your ex at a party last night and she's still bangin'. And you're like yea I know, but she's crazy. And he's like yea tru, etc etc, and then he's like well anyway one thing led to another and I slept w/ her.

So you say haha, wow. That's crazy, doesn't really affect me, tho. Kinda move on, go to bed, wake up in the morning and you are doing your thing getting ready and everything and it pops into your head, and you're like wait a minute. Did that really happen? And it blows your mind on a level that is so complex emotionally that it can only be explained with a jackie chan meme.

We all said "wow a basketball MMO would be cool" a couple years back, but I dunno, I guess this wasn't what I envisioned. I also disagree that it'd be unsuccessful to 'make a game that is just polished basketball.' It is infinitely harder than just adding mini-games though. All of the modes I wanted (like the ability to make a lobby and search match ups, get your people, set sliders, set what players are available to pick: myplayers, all nba players, all legends, no badges, no take over, set overall cap, etc. Which would be ALL 'sim' people who wanna play online need for ever really) or improvements we wanted and this is what we get. WOW.

Take it to heart if you want. Say I'm mad. I ain't mad. If she calls me I'm not answering the phone tho. haha.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat
All I wanted out of the neighborhood was to not need to hike from mycourt to change clothing to the gym to get my turbo up to the courts to actually play.

Also, would be nice if your party didn’t get automatically disbanded after a loss in pickup ball.
You no longer need MyCourt to change clothing, which I’m happy about. Those stupid cutscenes in 2K18 drove me crazy.

I personally like the Gatorade gym and the additional workout element to get turbo, it adds to the experience. Once you get to level 92 in 2K18 you no longer need to go to the gym for turbo, it’s a nice incentive to keep grinding and leveling up.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
This is how I feel, along w/ a crazy simile.

It's like you talk to your friend and he's like damn, I saw your ex at a party last night and she's still bangin'. And you're like yea I know, but she's crazy. And he's like yea tru, etc etc, and then he's like well anyway one thing led to another and I slept w/ her.

So you say haha, wow. That's crazy, doesn't really affect me, tho. Kinda move on, go to bed, wake up in the morning and you are doing your thing getting ready and everything and it pops into your head, and you're like wait a minute. Did that really happen? And it blows your mind on a level that is so complex emotionally that it can only be explained with a jackie chan meme.

We all said "wow a basketball MMO would be cool" a couple years back, but I dunno, I guess this wasn't what I envisioned. I also disagree that it'd be unsuccessful to 'make a game that is just polished basketball.' It is infinitely harder than just adding mini-games though. All of the modes I wanted (like the ability to make a lobby and search match ups, get your people, set sliders, set what players are available to pick: myplayers, all nba players, all legends, no badges, no take over, set overall cap, etc. Which would be ALL 'sim' people who wanna play online need for ever really) or improvements we wanted and this is what we get. WOW.

Take it to heart if you want. Say I'm mad. I ain't mad. If she calls me I'm not answering the phone tho. haha.

-Smak
I still think a Basketball MMO would be a neat idea; I just don't think it's something you can do with a franchise that features yearly releases.

I think it would have to be set up a bit more like WoW, in the sense of being a long running persistent world with the occasional major expansion pack and most importantly, permanent characters.

The ironic part about the mini games, I would be willing to bet they added more activities to neighborhood but that pool table that's been in our apartment for the past few 2K games still isn't a working mini game.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
I still think a Basketball MMO would be a neat idea; I just don't think it's something you can do with a franchise that features yearly releases.

I think it would have to be set up a bit more like WoW, in the sense of being a long running persistent world with the occasional major expansion pack and most importantly, permanent characters.

The ironic part about the mini games, I would be willing to bet they added more activities to neighborhood but that pool table that's been in our apartment for the past few 2K games still isn't a working mini game.
I don't quite remember the times exactly but there were air hockey and dart back in 2006 or smt in our apartment.. i'm sure of.. Just to add some examples of what 2k have been doing as far as those mini games go over the years so..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »