Home

NBA 2k19 Defensive Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA 2k19 Defensive Impressions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NBA 2k19 Defensive Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
As a side note, that was a damn good video of AI playing good switching and show defense against the off ball movement.
No question, the AI switching (and reswitching) was superb. I cant wait to see how well it does vs pick/roll.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Yup, I dont know if its an awareness issue or if the transition defenders cover an area of the court but I hope its resolved by launch.
Some type of zone fail looks possible, or the defenders being set to no help.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #27
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Meanwhile I'm an offline only user and IMO 2K17 had the absolute worst AI stick/psychic on-ball d where they'd stonewall/bump you seemingly 95% of the time, even with bad defenders. And because of that it was my lowest played of all 2Ks, even after attempting slider changes.

So 2K18 comes along and finally, I could use star driving players and it opened up the drive n kick game beautifully. However, I will fully agree it was too easy and good defenders weren't bumping at all like they should. But I still had fun all year even though I did have to restrain myself from abusing it like you mentioned. It was still nice being to drive at all with elite players against often bad/mediocre defenders. So because of all that, 2K18 was by far my most played, all offline Quickplay/MyLeague.

I would say a middle ground is there to be met for sure. I certainly want good defenders to bump often and not let me drive past them. But I'd personally hate to see the return of 2K17 defense where it was all bump all the time and no driving ever allowed, again, even with bad defenders.

Anyways having not played 2K19 yet (i'm a pc player), I'm confident that it has the on-ball d balanced well. I saw someone say it was more like 2K16 and that sounds fine to me personally.
This year there is a delay in AI recognition of moves and the lower the level you play on the more of a delay for AI defensive reactions. It is also scaled by the quality of the defender.

So, on Pro, bad defenders are really slow to react and great defenders are better. On HOF the difference between bad and good defenders is not as wide and the top defenders are tuned to be really really quick in terms is seeing a move and reacting to it to increase difficulty.

For that reason, if you want fairness, I would stay off HOF in terms of universal reaction times.

So there is a range to it this year unlike years past to this degree. In that sense coming to a conclusion may be tricker to figure out without knowing the comparables of the two players involved and the difficulty level.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #28
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'll probably have to play on All-Star. Even in the prelude on Superstar I'm seeing what is way too good perimeter defense by Cedi and Tristan on KD 30 feet from the basket. Their reaction to the first step move is way too quick and precise.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Note: Offline, Hall of Fame, default sliders, 12 minute quarters.

The first video is what we get when we have "a little less physical" defense. Please tell me ahead of time if 2k19's defense is going to revert back to "2k18s" level of 'less physical' on-ball defense.

I quit 3 weeks into playing NBA2k18 one major reason includes easy blow-bys for buckets.
Spoiler
Klay is an elite Defender, and those clips show him in the playoffs getting away with an abnormal amount of contact. If you watch a quarter of an NBA game, you see a number of blow bys. I'm not saying the defense in 2K18 was perfect, but what I'm seeing so far in 19 is defense that's unrealistically physical. Part of the problem with the defense in 18 versus the computer was that it didn't give appropriate space, or try to take angles away, so often times it was easy to get a step on the computer.

2K had a feature where defense was more physical in the playoffs, then that's a feature I can get behind, but even then if I'm 40 feet from the basket, and you are nose-to-nose with my quick ball handler then there's no reason you should not get blown by.

If I'm 40 feet from the basket and you are quickly running towards me, then there's no reason I shouldn't be able to go around you. That's just physics. If things like that or in the game, then it's just hand holding to quiet the complaining.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 15

2KU- Superstar- I’m really liking the feel of defense in the demo. The developers have clearly made the defensive end a priority for 2K19.

My only issue is the CPU defenders play a ton of “smother” defense, even outside the three point line. Unfortunately, when an on-ball CPU defender plays “smother”, it tends to interfere with the dribble animations and can make a ball handler feel clunky.

I have no problem whatsoever with the developers making the CPU on-ball defense more challenging. However, if a defender played “smother” defense on Curry or Durant outside the three-point line, it would be a blow by 95% of the time.

Hopefully, the devs can find a bit more balance in the retail version, with on-ball CPU defenders giving proper space and playing the angles to cut off the ball handler. This would open up the game signifcantly and reduce the “clunkiness” of the dribbling when a CPU defender is in your jersey outside the three-point line.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
This year there is a delay in AI recognition of moves and the lower the level you play on the more of a delay for AI defensive reactions. It is also scaled by the quality of the defender.

So, on Pro, bad defenders are really slow to react and great defenders are better. On HOF the difference between bad and good defenders is not as wide and the top defenders are tuned to be really really quick in terms is seeing a move and reacting to it to increase difficulty.

For that reason, if you want fairness, I would stay off HOF in terms of universal reaction times.

So there is a range to it this year unlike years past to this degree. In that sense coming to a conclusion may be tricker to figure out without knowing the comparables of the two players involved and the difficulty level.
Do you still get the benefit of CPU ACE adjustments if you don't play on HOF?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Note: Offline, Hall of Fame, default sliders, 12 minute quarters.

The first video is what we get when we have "a little less physical" defense. Please tell me ahead of time if 2k19's defense is going to revert back to "2k18s" level of 'less physical' on-ball defense.

I quit 3 weeks into playing NBA2k18 one major reason includes easy blow-bys for buckets.
Spoiler

The kd blow by was bad positioning..he’d have done the same irl. In the 2nd example klay is stronger than his defender..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »