Home

Footplanting and Momentum

This is a discussion on Footplanting and Momentum within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Footplanting and Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
He didn't slow down though; he went from full sprint to full stop. That's the issue. There is no penalty for the momentum he had going forward.
Did you not go from full sprint to full stop? My point is that he had time to react to you stopping your momentum. Its not not like you both stopped at the same time.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #34
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Did you not go from full sprint to full stop? My point is that he had time to react to you stopping your momentum. Its not not like you both stopped at the same time.
Right, but I actually had to slow down and plant my foot to do it. He went from full sprint to defensive stance facing the opposite direction without slowing down. Look at my first example above. That was a more realistic stop; he had to actually plant his feet in order to stop his momentum. In the second one, he didn't have to do that.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #35
Rookie

To me your first video is different than the next two.

1 - You stepped back into the path of the defender. Instead of a collision, he simply is slowed down, and able to get a good contest. The game is compensating for collision detection and foot planting by sliding Sexton around you the same way the invisible wall slides you in an RPG when you run up against it an angle. Not pretty for sure.

2 - Perfectly executed on your part, feels like you have a defender on a string, forced to change directions 2 times in a couple seconds and hit the turbo to try and catch up - then you unexpectedly change direction a 3rd time, and move into the stepback. Splash.

3 - He is lightly jogging behind you on the break - the way athletic players do when they slow their pace to prepare for a gather on a chasedown. You slow down and stop - you are sprinting and dribbling, so it is more difficult for you to stop then him, who is under control.
He takes a step to change direction, gathers, and contests. I'm guessing lightly contested? Seems about right.

The biggest difference to me between why the stepback was effective in example 2, but less so in 1 & 3, is that Sexton is not really 'beat' in either of those examples - the help is there, he is not holding 'R2' and therefore suffering a smaller penalty to change of direction.

I'm not critiquing your skills on the sticks - just saying that it seems like when you made better moves based on the context of the situation, you got more open. Seems okay to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #36
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK_11
To me your first video is different than the next two.

1 - You stepped back into the path of the defender. Instead of a collision, he simply is slowed down, and able to get a good contest. The game is compensating for collision detection and foot planting by sliding Sexton around you the same way the invisible wall slides you in an RPG when you run up against it an angle. Not pretty for sure.

2 - Perfectly executed on your part, feels like you have a defender on a string, forced to change directions 2 times in a couple seconds and hit the turbo to try and catch up - then you unexpectedly change direction a 3rd time, and move into the stepback. Splash.

3 - He is lightly jogging behind you on the break - the way athletic players do when they slow their pace to prepare for a gather on a chasedown. You slow down and stop - you are sprinting and dribbling, so it is more difficult for you to stop then him, who is under control.
He takes a step to change direction, gathers, and contests. I'm guessing lightly contested? Seems about right.

The biggest difference to me between why the stepback was effective in example 2, but less so in 1 & 3, is that Sexton is not really 'beat' in either of those examples - the help is there, he is not holding 'R2' and therefore suffering a smaller penalty to change of direction.

I'm not critiquing your skills on the sticks - just saying that it seems like when you made better moves based on the context of the situation, you got more open. Seems okay to me.
In the third example, we were both in full sprint. He was actually going faster than I was, which is part of the reason I did the stepback.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #37
Pro

JoFri's Arena

EI, I think the missing animation here is the foot planting part. Sexton reacting to your sudden stop is just a normal "stop" and "continue" animation. If 2K can add in that "using the foot" to stop animation and slow down in half second, the whole should work out fine.

I think they did implemented it well for the ankle breaking animations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #38
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
EI, I think the missing animation here is the foot planting part. Sexton reacting to your sudden stop is just a normal "stop" and "continue" animation. If 2K can add in that "using the foot" to stop animation and slow down in half second, the whole should work out fine.

I think they did implemented it well for the ankle breaking animations.

Yep. I like to call those "defensive stutter steps". This could already be the case in 2k19 but if not 2k20 really needs to spend more time on adding/motion capturing defensive animations. I feel the success of my career/park has really shifted their priority on adding more and more offensive animations...
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 09-06-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I just want realistic reactions based on momentum and physics. A guy should not be able to change directions on a dime from a full sprint, period. I said I'm fine with the animations not showing proper footplanting as long as the outcome is realistic.
you dont seem to factor contextual situation, defensive player awareness, or reaction time.
In most situations defensive players do react in time or slightly late to the point where a blocking foul would be called.
yes defenders get beat, but rarely do their momentum takes them out of a play completely, and rarely do players run full on sprint to get back in position or into a play unless its a fast break chase down situation.

the defensive player seems to be in the play though he was beat.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #40
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril;
you dont seem to factor contextual situation, defensive player awareness, or reaction time.

In most situations defensive players do react in time or slightly late to the point where a blocking foul would be called.

yes defenders get beat, but rarely do their momentum takes them out of a play completely, and rarely do players run full on sprint to get back in position or into a play unless its a fast break chase down situation.

the defensive player seems to be in the play though he was beat.
player ratings have to be factored in, for sure. Compare James Harden's defense recovery to Kawhi Leonard ... oh haha
Perhaps 2K can just add in Harden's "dare him to shoot" animation, that will be awesome

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »