Home

Footplanting and Momentum

This is a discussion on Footplanting and Momentum within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Footplanting and Momentum

This is a play that is possible in youth basketball. But at the highest level of the sport you don’t see this.

This is a terrible showcase of the sharp, explosive athleticism you see in the NBA.

You live and die by your foot steps in basketball. In 2k, they have a ton of sliding and skating to avoid those dynamics.

Everything on offense looks slow, unnatural and awkward. The defense just as bad if not worse.

Go rewatch game 1 of the nba Finals.

2nd possession of the game Bron steals from KD, and runs down the court to the left wing and receives the ball back.

Bron subtly shifts his body weight left to get Draymond leaning and then takes a long, explosive first step to beat Draymond inside right to the hole. Simple, effective, efficient footwork.

2nd quarter Bron palms the ball up top in his right hand, his feet parallel. Draymond is in his stance funneling Bron toward the right. Bron sees the help defense (David west) out of position, brings his left foot behind him and then explodes to the rim in a few steps. Efficient, smart, explosive footwork.

2nd quarter Bron receives a pass on the right wing. Jordan bell starts closing in, Bron does a smooth pumpfake to draw his momentum further out, and then Bron drives to the rim.

And in the clutch, LeBron continued to dominate the Warriors with his footwork. The warriors couldn’t stop LeBron from getting to the rim.

It was a footwork clinic put on my by LeBron. Beautiful display of basketball.

Can’t recreate any of that in 2k. Footplanting and momentum just so disregarded in the game. It takes away so much of the basketball feel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #42
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Footplanting and Momentum

I was hoping more examples coming in to address the issue on lack of footplanting and momentum, and hopefully 2K can get notice it.

I managed to track down this particular offball movement lacking of footplanting animation. In this clip, u'll see Sexton (AI) offball chasing Curry towards baseline. After Curry went passed Cousins at the post, he changed direction and cut back into the paint. Sexton just stopped instantaneously and stick to Curry conveniently on the opposite direction.

There should be some stop animation by way of one foot stopping the forward motion and body rotation to turn and continuse chasing Curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #43
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

One of the ugly things iv already noticed about the gameplay from videos, is theres times where a defender jumps, and then is synced into another jump animation before he even landed from his first jump, looks like it has something to do with how they have more collision animations for standing layups and driving layups, so sometimes it just syncs together the offensive player and defensive player into an animation, no matter what position the defender was in .3 of a second earlier.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #44
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
This is a play that is possible in youth basketball. But at the highest level of the sport you don’t see this.

This is a terrible showcase of the sharp, explosive athleticism you see in the NBA.

You live and die by your foot steps in basketball. In 2k, they have a ton of sliding and skating to avoid those dynamics.

Everything on offense looks slow, unnatural and awkward. The defense just as bad if not worse.

Go rewatch game 1 of the nba Finals.

2nd possession of the game Bron steals from KD, and runs down the court to the left wing and receives the ball back.

Bron subtly shifts his body weight left to get Draymond leaning and then takes a long, explosive first step to beat Draymond inside right to the hole. Simple, effective, efficient footwork.

2nd quarter Bron palms the ball up top in his right hand, his feet parallel. Draymond is in his stance funneling Bron toward the right. Bron sees the help defense (David west) out of position, brings his left foot behind him and then explodes to the rim in a few steps. Efficient, smart, explosive footwork.

2nd quarter Bron receives a pass on the right wing. Jordan bell starts closing in, Bron does a smooth pumpfake to draw his momentum further out, and then Bron drives to the rim.

And in the clutch, LeBron continued to dominate the Warriors with his footwork. The warriors couldn’t stop LeBron from getting to the rim.

It was a footwork clinic put on my by LeBron. Beautiful display of basketball.

Can’t recreate any of that in 2k. Footplanting and momentum just so disregarded in the game. It takes away so much of the basketball feel.
I remember that game, Lebron dominated a team of all stars, and got robbed by some bad calls at the end, i cant remember what they were exactly. But it showed the true colors of golden state players, they whine and complain when things really have a chance to go bad for them. I mean, the team that is known as the top team and all their recent championships ,with winning records, first or second usually in conference etc, all that stuff, also has players and a coach with some of the most technical fouls in the league, showing the amount they complain and whine about things.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
I remember that game, Lebron dominated a team of all stars, and got robbed by some bad calls at the end, i cant remember what they were exactly. But it showed the true colors of golden state players, they whine and complain when things really have a chance to go bad for them. I mean, the team that is known as the top team and all their recent championships ,with winning records, first or second usually in conference etc, all that stuff, also has players and a coach with some of the most technical fouls in the league, showing the amount they complain and whine about things.
Lol, feel better now?

But I agree the footplanting can be a little wonky.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #46
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

This is what foot planting used to look like in 2k16

Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #47
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Lol, feel better now?

But I agree the footplanting can be a little wonky.
I would have felt better if Lebron could have given his team a couple wins in that series. Basically Lebron James verses a team of 4 starting all stars.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #48
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Spoiler
Curry had some decent footplant while changing direction. The offense usually has better footplant (not perfect by any means. Just look at Curry sliding after even gets around). Look at the guy guarding Durant in the corner, still don't know his name. His feet has no solid grounded footplant. He's taking smaller lateral strides but is able to cover so much ground with only a couple steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
Spoiler
I have always been more concerned about defensive footplant. The running in a straight line footplant (I think) has always been fairly good.... **Then watch me go into instant replay mode and it'll probably tell a different story... I don't know**
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-11-2018 at 08:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »