Home

Do Player Tendencies Change/Evolve in MyGM/MyLeague?

This is a discussion on Do Player Tendencies Change/Evolve in MyGM/MyLeague? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do Player Tendencies Change/Evolve in MyGM/MyLeague?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackebarsch10
But how do you decide which number for tendency is sim? Are there any guys who had tested this manually editing?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

It depends on which stat you think a player should be changing.

To raise any of the below stats:

PPG - Raise Shot Tendency and Touches
APG - Raise Dish to Open Man and Touches but lower Shot Tendency
BPG - Raise Contest Shot and Block Attempts (forgot the name)
SPG - Raise the On ball steal and play passing lanes
MPG - Lower Foul Tendency
3pt FG Attempts - Raise 3 Point Tendency, lower drive tendencies

The rest of the tendencies more effect how the CPU plays with them in games (aside from the shooting ones which are straight forward on what they effect)

Do note that other factors play into it obviously but this is a good base. For shot tendency and touches the final stats are also effected by their teammates shot tend and touches stats.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
It depends on which stat you think a player should be changing.

To raise any of the below stats:

PPG - Raise Shot Tendency and Touches
APG - Raise Dish to Open Man and Touches but lower Shot Tendency
BPG - Raise Contest Shot and Block Attempts (forgot the name)
SPG - Raise the On ball steal and play passing lanes
MPG - Lower Foul Tendency
3pt FG Attempts - Raise 3 Point Tendency, lower drive tendencies

The rest of the tendencies more effect how the CPU plays with them in games (aside from the shooting ones which are straight forward on what they effect)

Do note that other factors play into it obviously but this is a good base. For shot tendency and touches the final stats are also effected by their teammates shot tend and touches stats.

I hope that helps.

This helps for sure. But I don‘t know which number it should be. Is 90 the right number for the teams top scorer and what about the 2nd and 3rd option. 80? 75?

Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Rookie

laflame's Arena

Last time that I checked I don’t think so, spent several years and a half dozen training camps developing a late second round 7 footer with a midrange stroke into a post scoring animal. My team was in contention through his first four years in the league so when he was extended (former 60 overall now a 77) it was time for him to take on the role of some of our players we couldn’t keep he averaged a pedestrian 7ppg in 25mpg.

In his final year on the team now at an 85 overall he still only averaged 7ppg 4rpg in 33 minutes played. Somehow got a massive contract from the Clippers.

Guy could have been the next Dirk but did not play aggressively at all, and only developed the one badge he started out with (player mentorship doesn’t work.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflame
Last time that I checked I don’t think so, spent several years and a half dozen training camps developing a late second round 7 footer with a midrange stroke into a post scoring animal. My team was in contention through his first four years in the league so when he was extended (former 60 overall now a 77) it was time for him to take on the role of some of our players we couldn’t keep he averaged a pedestrian 7ppg in 25mpg.

In his final year on the team now at an 85 overall he still only averaged 7ppg 4rpg in 33 minutes played. Somehow got a massive contract from the Clippers.

Guy could have been the next Dirk but did not play aggressively at all, and only developed the one badge he started out with (player mentorship doesn’t work.)
you almost have to edit tendencies for each team. It's tougher now too. I like the depth but it sure was easier when there was a single "shot tendency" you could jump up when a player was ready for a bigger role.

But as players move around you have to adjust tendencies. Cousins shouldn't have the same shot tendencies in GS he did with Sac or NO. If Klay goes to Atlanta (which for some reason he often does in sims I've done) then he needs to be shooting more as the primary option.

And generated draft classes are full of players with high potential, great skills and the tendencies to shoot of Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen. Quality fictional or real draft classes are a must for myleague or mygm, and those classes should have people really paying attention to tendencies. But even then if Boston has a top 3 pick, who they take should be far less likely to shoot than say Trae Young for the Hawks this year or Bagley for the Kings.

It's a hassle but editing tendencies is a must.

That said, I remember a few years back when they had the big man 3 point glitch where bigs (and remember this was when stretch 4's were an anomaly) would keep progressing in 3 point shot tendency until 4 years in Dwight Howard was tossing up 75 or 100 3 pointers a season and hitting 15%
Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackebarsch10
This helps for sure. But I don‘t know which number it should be. Is 90 the right number for the teams top scorer and what about the 2nd and 3rd option. 80? 75?

That value is relative.

If everyone on the team has a 35 shot tendency and one guy has a 60 he can certainly be a 20ppg guy there (given he has scoring ability).

If everyone on the team has a shot tendency of 75 and your best guy has a 90, everyone is going to be looking for their own shot therefor your 90 Shot Tendency guy might end up averaging 18 or 19ppg depending on other factors.

So the optimal value is relative to the situation.

An example of the Cavs from years prior could look like this:
LeBron 95 Shot Tend - 95 Touches
Kevin Love 75 Shot Tend - 70 Touches
JR Smith - 70 Shot Tend - 50 Touches
Kyle Korver - 65 Shot Tend - 50 Touches
George Hill - 55 Shot Tend - 65 Touches
Tristan Thompson - 50 Shot Tend - 40 Touches

Jordan Clarkson - 75 Shot Tend - 50 Touches

Notice the Point Guard will normally have plenty of touches but will not be shooting much (unless you got Damian Lillard or something on your squad).

In this scenario Jordan Clarkson shoots way more than he should for his skill level, but it will not negatively impact the starters too much as his minutes will be limited. However if he ends up in the starting lineup his ball hog tendency would create an issue (which imo is realistic). I use a value like that for guys like Michael Beasley, Lance Stephenson, Lou Williams (until now), Crawford. Guys who on a bad team with no other scorers can easily average in the 20s PPG but on a good team will fall somewhere from 12-15ppg off the bench. Heat check guys.

Last edited by dwayne12345; 10-05-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Back in 2k17 or something i remember Leftos saying that tendencies are dynamic and do change. But that hasn't been my experience at all. I haven't noticed them change. And i've played a lot. They definitely need to be way more dynamic. And couch systems need to have way more affect (even if temporary) on player tendencies in MyLeague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
That value is relative.

If everyone on the team has a 35 shot tendency and one guy has a 60 he can certainly be a 20ppg guy there (given he has scoring ability).

If everyone on the team has a shot tendency of 75 and your best guy has a 90, everyone is going to be looking for their own shot therefor your 90 Shot Tendency guy might end up averaging 18 or 19ppg depending on other factors.

So the optimal value is relative to the situation.

An example of the Cavs from years prior could look like this:
LeBron 95 Shot Tend - 95 Touches
Kevin Love 75 Shot Tend - 70 Touches
JR Smith - 70 Shot Tend - 50 Touches
Kyle Korver - 65 Shot Tend - 50 Touches
George Hill - 55 Shot Tend - 65 Touches
Tristan Thompson - 50 Shot Tend - 40 Touches

Jordan Clarkson - 75 Shot Tend - 50 Touches

Notice the Point Guard will normally have plenty of touches but will not be shooting much (unless you got Damian Lillard or something on your squad).

In this scenario Jordan Clarkson shoots way more than he should for his skill level, but it will not negatively impact the starters too much as his minutes will be limited. However if he ends up in the starting lineup his ball hog tendency would create an issue (which imo is realistic). I use a value like that for guys like Michael Beasley, Lance Stephenson, Lou Williams (until now), Crawford. Guys who on a bad team with no other scorers can easily average in the 20s PPG but on a good team will fall somewhere from 12-15ppg off the bench. Heat check guys.
That's not true in my experience. Shot tendency isn't relative to other shot tendencies. It defines how much an individual player attempts to score. Having more scorers on one team does reduce their collective PPG but i think you're making an assumption that shot tendency is all relative without actually knowing.

A player with a 60 for shot tendency will not score 20ppg if surrounded by other 35 shot tendency. He will score more like 14-15ppg or something. And he'd probably score like 12 ppg if everybody else on the court had 60 shot tendency. If everybody on the court had 35 shot tendency then it would just be a reeeally slow paced offense, but it's not like a 60 shot tendency guy would step up and become a go-to scorer or something because by relativity he had a 25 more shot tendency than his teammates. No. They would all score less than if they had a higher individual shot tendency.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm hoping they don't change this year. Everyone has their own tendency scales (min/max/step), so I'd rather spend one day each offseason editing a few key development tendencies manually than having to redo the entire tendency set from scratch for every single player in the league to avoid craziness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I'm hoping they don't change this year. Everyone has their own tendency scales (min/max/step), so I'd rather spend one day each offseason editing a few key development tendencies manually than having to redo the entire tendency set from scratch for every single player in the league to avoid craziness.
Thats what I'll be doing too. And if you think about it most tendencies shouldn't. I mean, Harden doesnt go from a high stepback tendency in one season to low stepback and high spin jumper the next. How each player plays is their game and doesnt change unless they develop a different area in which case they'll utilize it more. The only tendencies that really change "often" are shot and touch tendencies, which change because they're so dependent on team and system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »