Home

On Ball Defensive Animations

This is a discussion on On Ball Defensive Animations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #33
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: On Ball Defensive Animations

Don't totally agree. I've only had the game for a little bit, but I find that taking someone off the dribble to get an open look requires a mismatch (which is realistic). A quick side to side dribble crossover is enough to trigger speed boosting for good ball handlers and the game still has the blobby animation if you make your move fast enough. If you're facing an average defender, you need to rely on picks or be prepared to take a contested look (like in real life).

People are used to having to cross your guy over and be open before they can shoot. This game is trying to break that way of thinking. Hunt for mismatches, use the PnR to get separation to set up midrange pull-ups, or set your offence to push the ball so the court is more open and the defence is scattered.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #34
Rookie

hurricane83's Arena

OVR: 0

We can post the highlights of James Harden, Donavan Mitchell, Ben Simmons, Kyrie Irving, LeBron James, Westbrook, Paul George, Derozen, Kawhi, and all other top flight scorers and you’ll see them repeatedly create mismatches on the perimeter with PnR offensive and those defenders become food. Houston’s offense is predicated on this very action cause u can’t go under the screener cause their shooters are too good, try and fight over and harden is on the way to the hoop, so you switch and hope they can’t take advantage of the matchup but IRL 7/10 times harden or CP3 will take advantage by creating a shot, drive or a drive and kick for another player once the help comes.

Yeah I watch a lot of CPU vs CPU games and the cpu can’t even score on it’s when there’s a mismatch on the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #35
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Hurricane, in the games you win do your guys perform like they do in real life? Because thats the standard...not that we win every interaction, feel me?

Ant, I agree they need to use the Blocking Foul and Charge mechanics more (hell over the back fouls too) One would help with perimeter mismatches and the other would make people pay for ramming into defenders with no conscience.

And i'm talking about "organic" charges like you see below, not that press circle stuff. As long as the defender beats the offensive player to the spot and they keep pressing turbo there should be a chance of an offensive foul IMO.

I saw this Week 1 of 2K19 and was like: "Soooo no offensive fouls this year"

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-20-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #36
Rookie

hurricane83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
Don't totally agree. I've only had the game for a little bit, but I find that taking someone off the dribble to get an open look requires a mismatch (which is realistic). A quick side to side dribble crossover is enough to trigger speed boosting for good ball handlers and the game still has the blobby animation if you make your move fast enough. If you're facing an average defender, you need to rely on picks or be prepared to take a contested look (like in real life).

People are used to having to cross your guy over and be open before they can shoot. This game is trying to break that way of thinking. Hunt for mismatches, use the PnR to get separation to set up midrange pull-ups, or set your offence to push the ball so the court is more open and the defence is scattered.

Good point. I need to run more PnR. In my thinking I don’t wanna just run this scheme all day long. I want variety but that’s what’s happening so I need to get with the meta and run PnR 80% of the time.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #37
Rookie

hurricane83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Hurricane, in the games you win do your guys perform like they do in real life? Because thats the standard...not that we win every interaction, feel me?

Ant, I agree they need to use the blocking foul and Charge mechanics more (hell over the back fouls too) One would help with perimeter mismatches and the other would make people pay for ramming into defenders with no conscience.

And i'm talking about "organic" charges like you see below, not that press circle stuff. As long as the defender beats the offensive player to the spot and they keep pressing turbo there should be a chance of an offensive foul IMO.

I saw this Week 1 of 2K19 and was like: "Soooo no offensive fouls this year"

Kush most of the games I win online are because my shot timing is on point that game and either my opponent is not shooting well or I’ve contained their go to action. I don’t believe I’ve won a game based on tactically taking advantage of a mismatch.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #38
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane83
Good point. I need to run more PnR. In my thinking I don’t wanna just run this scheme all day long. I want variety but that’s what’s happening so I need to get with the meta and run PnR 80% of the time.

I know what you mean, but I see even the CPU do it. In MyTeam, I was playing that Lebron moments challenge where you have to face a team of 10 Lebron's. The entire game the CPU would only pass it to the Lebron that was being guarded by a centre or a point guard/shooting guard. Never the SF or PF. Literally just hunting those mismatches so he could just blow by my centre or backdown the guards. Ended up having to change my team to all wings just so I could beat it
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #39
Rookie

hurricane83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
I know what you mean, but I see even the CPU do it. In MyTeam, I was playing that Lebron moments challenge where you have to face a team of 10 Lebron's. The entire game the CPU would only pass it to the Lebron that was being guarded by a centre or a point guard/shooting guard. Never the SF or PF. Literally just hunting those mismatches so he could just blow by my centre or backdown the guards. Ended up having to change my team to all wings just so I could beat it

Lol that’s crazy

Old 09-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #40
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

Man I think I need a break from this game. I've tried so many different combinations of sliders to try and tune the game to my liking and I just am not able to get the type of shots I want. I can't recreate step back 3's like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-V6dAn...=1bxhx0t7hw25u

I was able to pull off these sweet stepbacks the first few days the game was out. Not anymore. Something changed I can't just keep blaming my stick skills. I know people think hitting these types of shots is cheese but I'm playing offline. I'm not cheating other human players out. Players hit these shots in every game in the NBA. The CPU seems to hit these on me with regularity, I'm playing on All-Star and I feel like the Shot Release timing might be too difficult. This is the first time I've contemplated touching Pro difficulty in yearsss.

When did Jamal Murray become Ron Artest on defense?

Last edited by antdoggydogg; 09-22-2018 at 05:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »