Home

Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

This is a discussion on Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

I’ve got two players, a PG who is my real life size and play style, and a stretch/post scoring 4.

I’ve played a couple Park games with the PF, and have done alright. I can usually bother the shot of my man of defense since most players don’t know how to actually attack bigs, but I don’t see much action on offense because my teammates try to zig zag too much and I can’t even set a screen for them. And forget posting up. Of the games I’ve played, I think I’ve received a single pass while posted up.

I haven’t gotten to the NBA in my PG yet, so I haven’t been able to play any games online with him since the neighborhood is not available.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
Rookie

RallerenAFC's Arena

Its because there is no reason for a player who just wants to win online in any way possible to play through a big man or use a big man to score. It's much better to run around on the perimeter trying to get an open 3 with a pure sharp/stretch. With the high rating and badges from those builds its almost always an automatic make so yeah like others have said 3s rule.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Personally, I blame it more on the online mentality of gamers. Being a big in itself is not the problem. The problem lies with gamers who don't know how or care to work with a big. If you not setting screens for them or grabbing rebound to kick back out to them for 3's, then most people really don't care about bigs. I usually have a defensive type big just so I feel like I'm doing something else other than doing the aforementioned things.

It's all about breaking ankles and how many threes you can splash in someone else's face with a green release.
Yep, pretty much my shot creating post scoring big is useless online since everyone wants to shoot threes.

On that note, who wants to run with me? lol
Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
MVP

ph33's Arena

Post Re: Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

lol this year 2k drove me to play as a big because being a point is a pain in the ***. I'm happy to do the role of glue guy so it's no big deal to me

And yeah, you can't really make big men as versatile as the star big men in the league, but you can definitely play through a post scorer. but as many people have stated, 3s>>>2s so that's just everybody's first second and third option

a lot of bigs suck though, they don't set screens, and camp in the paint at the worst times

Last edited by ph33; 09-23-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallerenAFC
Its because there is no reason for a player who just wants to win online in any way possible to play through a big man or use a big man to score. It's much better to run around on the perimeter trying to get an open 3 with a pure sharp/stretch. With the high rating and badges from those builds its almost always an automatic make so yeah like others have said 3s rule.
I don't play much online so my experience is very limited. I do get on twitch sometimes to watch people play. I watch one team that had a great record and no one was what I would consider a "big". I hated watching them but they won by 30 probably. Each guy was pretty much was interchangeable which I think reflects the actual NBA had taken. It's not my thing and I love playing down on the block but that's not very common anymore. 2k should definitely take a new approach to designing big men.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #22
Pro

Why would anyone want to play a big when the inside scoring game looks like this?

Contested from behind

Clear run to the hoop - slow *** standing layup instead of dunk.

Behind the D - let’s do it again.

Yikes...

Running at full speed but let’s stop and gather for a layup.

And again

Not “open” enough I guess...

Or this time

Not to mention all the bail out blocks from behind.

Jump shots are lightning quick but the animations they throw at you inside are like molasses. I’m pretty much trying to dunk everytime but somehow 90+ stats and HoF badges aren’t enough. I’m a glorified Rebounder and pick-setter. I actually don’t care that much about scoring but it’s frustrating when you make a good cut, someone makes a good pass and you’re foiled by crappy animations or bail out blocks.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #23
Banned

As a shot creating post scorer I have to say that big men can absolutely be as versatile as the names mentioned in this thread, but in order to do so the user needs to play with a high IQ and skill level. I made a post scorer for a couple reasons, one being I find it an enjoyable way to play offline career games. However I plan to play a lot online and this build is extremely versatile. On offense I can space out to 3, pop or roll after a pick, and of course you can throw me the ball in the post and I can get a bucket or create one for a teammate. I went with a 7' 270 lb PF which allows me the athleticism to switch on defense when needed, as well as the strength to defend anyone in the post. Rebounding is not an issue at all as its all about position and timing, I'm having no issues on the boards vs 7'3" glass cleaners by simply boxing out and timing my jump.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #24
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
Why would anyone want to play a big when the inside scoring game looks like this?
Story of my life right here . I meant to mention to you in the other thread. It’s something seriously off about catching the ball in stride .

My slashing post player catches the ball and then stops . Idk why but I’ve noticed that’s what is causing me to not dunk on catches. I have to catch the ball — then turbo some more and then attempt the dunk . That way I won’t get that ugly standing layup as much .

Problem with this is it gives the defense time to recover.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

Last edited by Rockie_Fresh88; 09-23-2018 at 08:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »