Home

Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

This is a discussion on Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

The post scorer builds this year have better badges and more powerful animations than they've had in any previous versions of 2K Pro Am/Park.

Y'all just need to stop playing these online modes with strangers, because the general population of 2K players has no idea how to play on a team with a post scorer.

Use twitter/reddit/xbox group finder/playstation group finder and connect with other likeminded players instead of going into the rec center or the park by yourself.

I have a couple post scorers on my Xbox friends list and they're doing fine this year in Pro Am. I will probably make one for myself, eventually, after seeing how strong their animations/badges are in 2K19.

Last edited by jyoung; 09-24-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I think you missed one of the key parts of my post. You can't create a modern face up big in the game. Versatile guys like AD, KAT, KP, Draymond, etc. 2K forces you into the narrow Clint Capella role or the Marvin Williams role, while guards can be very versatile with builds that can shoot, drive, pass and defend.
Why can’t you? You can make a shot creating post scorer. Or shot creating athletic finisher. That’s a face up build. You can make a stretch finisher or stretch shot creator. You say you can’t make an AD type player but you can’t make a lot of superstar builds. But you can come close.

A shot creating defender at PF would be close to AD as you can get. You could even go rebounder instead of defense. Idk. KAT & KP would be considered shot creating stretch bigs. KAT could be a shot creating post scorer.

I think you overestimate the ability of guards this year. Because if you don’t have a high enough ball control it’s harder for you to create your own shot. The guard builds that can shoot 3s, dunk, and finish reliably are all slow compared to other guard builds that focus on 1 or 2 things.

For example a pure shot creator can do everything. But it’s slow compared to a playmaking slasher, a 2 way slasher or a shot creating playmaker. Although you lose a lot of offense by mixing with shot creator you can speed. The best offensive guard build in the game is a sharpshooting shot creator. High 80 mid range & 3. High 70 dunk. High 80 layups. But compared to all those builds I named it’s super slow. Even at
6’1...for example a 6’6 playmaking slasher would be faster. You can’t really make a Kyrie, Harden or Devin Booker either. You can’t make a LeBron or KD. All you can do is mix archetypes to best match their skill sets.

Side note... for a Draymond build. You can easily make a playmaking defender at the PF position. Draymond is no more than that. AD, KP & KAT can all be made in some form. You just gotta choose which skill set of theirs fits best.

Also. Bigs actually had a time where they could dribble like guards and it got completely out of control. Doing step backs and crosses at 6’11 and everything. I feel like you can actually make the type of build you want. But your problem is more the players you play with than the build you can make. You can be a KP/KAT with shot creator in your build easily IMO.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
Why can’t you? You can make a shot creating post scorer. Or shot creating athletic finisher. That’s a face up build. You can make a stretch finisher or stretch shot creator. You say you can’t make an AD type player but you can’t make a lot of superstar builds. But you can come close.

A shot creating defender at PF would be close to AD as you can get. You could even go rebounder instead of defense. Idk. KAT & KP would be considered shot creating stretch bigs. KAT could be a shot creating post scorer.

I think you overestimate the ability of guards this year. Because if you don’t have a high enough ball control it’s harder for you to create your own shot. The guard builds that can shoot 3s, dunk, and finish reliably are all slow compared to other guard builds that focus on 1 or 2 things.

For example a pure shot creator can do everything. But it’s slow compared to a playmaking slasher, a 2 way slasher or a shot creating playmaker. Although you lose a lot of offense by mixing with shot creator you can speed. The best offensive guard build in the game is a sharpshooting shot creator. High 80 mid range & 3. High 70 dunk. High 80 layups. But compared to all those builds I named it’s super slow. Even at
6’1...for example a 6’6 playmaking slasher would be faster. You can’t really make a Kyrie, Harden or Devin Booker either. You can’t make a LeBron or KD. All you can do is mix archetypes to best match their skill sets.

Side note... for a Draymond build. You can easily make a playmaking defender at the PF position. Draymond is no more than that. AD, KP & KAT can all be made in some form. You just gotta choose which skill set of theirs fits best.

Also. Bigs actually had a time where they could dribble like guards and it got completely out of control. Doing step backs and crosses at 6’11 and everything. I feel like you can actually make the type of build you want. But your problem is more the players you play with than the build you can make. You can be a KP/KAT with shot creator in your build easily IMO.

The park experience as a whole was infinitely better when bigmen had guard handles, now I agree they should have been removed but archetypes have been a particular bugbear of mine. The game was far more balanced in 2k15 pre patch 4, than we've ever had since the archetype system and it's HoF badges have appeared. It was also infinitely better balanced in 16. Archetypes have really knocked the park experience back a few years imo.

No archetypes equals an instant skill gap, archetypes equal 3 pt half court shoot outs with players whose only skill in the game is pressing the button a set amount of time - you could never have gotten away with that in 15/16.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP Floppy
Embiid, KAT, Porzingis and Jokic post up a lot, Embiid was 2nd in the league in points in the post. The problem with the game more than anything else is the extreme percentages people can make threes at, we've arrived at a point in this game where the tuning is so messed up that a 28 foot three is going in more reliably than a contested standing layup. Hashmark threes are part of the 2k experience, and you can shoot 70-80% from there which in reality it's like a 25-28% shot. The post, whether it's the low post or the mid post (Kevin Durant's office) is still a very real part of NBA offenses, do you see anyone using the mid-post in pro-am? Nope, cause the spacing is so jacked up that the middle of the floor is dead, meanwhile the Warriors really do use Durant's mid-post as part of their offense when they need a bucket.

This game does a terrible job of really replicating where basketball is going, like OP pointed out you can't make any versatile bigs, there's zero chance you can make a Horford, Draymond, Porzingis etc. You can't make bigs that are 3 level scorers, even though there's several in the NBA, you can't play from the mid or high post cause everyone can recover due to the small court etc.
I don’t understand how you can’t make a Draymond Green lol. Dude isn’t a versatile scorer and he can’t shoot at all. He’s a defender 1st and a playmaker 2nd. That’s an easy build to create.

Horford is a rebound stretch big. Rebounding builds get the 2nd best defensive attributes. You get a high 70 post up attributes. If you consider him a defender make a 2 way stretch. Is that not Al Horford? It’s not just about averages but it’s not like he’s putting up 20 & 10 a game. He’s a role player that you can make quite easily.

As for posting up in the NBA vs 2K. You named like 3 players plus the 1s I named. So that’s maybe 10 players that actually run post up plays dude. It’s already been established long ago the mid range shot is actually the worst shot in basketball (analytically)

But to say you can’t make a Horford or Draymond role player build just isn’t true. You can make a playmaking post scorer and have Jokic.

If you guys are playing with randoms and trying to run high post offense in pro am that’s user error. But if you get some shooters and have a shot creating post scorer to the 4 or 5 with a team you can do damage. But if you running with randoms running around like chickens with no heads of course that won’t work.

There’s plenty of guys on this board that would love to try that type of basketball in pro am. How about you link up with them?

To add to that. If you’re running certain builds with randoms but they expect you to only set screens and rebound for kick outs, then find some guys that play how you want. I just don’t understand the dilemma. I have multiple different builds & I have guys I run with I’ve been running with for 5+ years that I met playing 2k. We do just fine without spamming 3s & rebounding for kick outs.

I do have some ppl I run with that we run the cheesy glass cleaner a pure sharp and a sharp playmaker & I’m like 50-2 running that setup because it’s really hard to stop. But I run with them maybe once a week.

I say all that to say you can find some guys that would play the type of ball you want.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #37
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ShowTime2
Thats not only a problem with bigs, 2k's archetype system in general is a problem. You cant create any superstar in 2k because they excel in more than two parts of the game. I already said last year that we need a tertiary archetype or more flexibility in general.

The current archetype system is also flawed in itself. Why are layups and slashing tied together? Is Kyrie a master of layups? For sure, but a slasher? Ummm...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Operation Sports mobile app
Kyrie is a slasher tho. He isn’t a dunker. But he’s a slasher 100%. You can easily go playmaking shot creator and get a Kyrie type build tho. Great mid. Decent 3. Best finishing build that’s not a slasher.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k

The park experience as a whole was infinitely better when bigmen had guard handles, now I agree they should have been removed but archetypes have been a particular bugbear of mine. The game was far more balanced in 2k15 pre patch 4, than we've ever had since the archetype system and it's HoF badges have appeared. It was also infinitely better balanced in 16. Archetypes have really knocked the park experience back a few years imo.

No archetypes equals an instant skill gap, archetypes equal 3 pt half court shoot outs with players whose only skill in the game is pressing the button a set amount of time - you could never have gotten away with that in 15/16.
Lol 2K15 with the demi gods? Nah. Or was that 16? Either way 7’0” bigs doing step backs was not only the most cheesiest OP stuff in park. It also limited the effectiveness of guards. So you could run 3 centers and dominate doing step backs & crossovers & Guard small players and still win? That was fun to you?

Now it’s a certain medium you can have to be competitive. A guard and a big and a full in player can be a wing or a big.

It’s not like you can come to the Park in 2K and run all wings and not get dominated by bigs. Same goes for having all bigs and not get dominated by wings. I think we have a very good balance now
Old 09-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #39
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The post scorer builds this year have better badges and more powerful animations than they've had in any previous versions of 2K Pro Am/Park.

Y'all just need to stop playing these online modes with strangers, because the general population of 2K players has no idea how to play on a team with a post scorer.

Use twitter/reddit/xbox group finder/playstation group finder and connect with other likeminded players instead of going into the rec center or the park by yourself.

I have a couple post scorers on my Xbox friends list and they're doing fine this year in Pro Am. I will probably make one for myself, eventually, after seeing how strong their animations/badges are in 2K19.

Pure post scorers are a bucket waiting to happen. But you need a 5 that knows how to run with them. My squad does not know at all.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #40
Rookie

DboyRavage's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Pure post scorers are a bucket waiting to happen. But you need a 5 that knows how to run with them. My squad does not know at all.

Here is a good example from proam with me and pg even tho he missed the shot when i kicked it out. First play i get on the block again just off the strength my team knows i would kick it out with no hesitation if i get doubled.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »