Home

Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

This is a discussion on Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
There absolutely are, hell with my 62 open 3 on my Shot Creating Post Scorer through 30+ Rec games I'm shooting 55% from 3. I played last night with a pure sharp who only had points into his shooting and athleticism, was a 70 something overall and shot 70% on 10+ 3s a game over the 3 or 4 rec games we ran together.
I didn’t say there were no people. I said there is less than 1%. I also said consistently over 250 games there’s not that many players shooting 70% from 3. In 3 or 4 games that’s possible but you’re not gonna tell me they are doing that every game for 300 games. Or later into the year with 2000 games played. It’s not happening.

And take into account people are playing with randoms a lot. You’re gonna get open 3s. You shooting 55% with your 3pt rating actually proves my point in the Draymond/Horford/AD/Porzingiz build debate. Bigs can shoot with a 60 3pt rating. Anybody can if their timing is right with the right form.

I get shooting 70% is high but we’re also no accounting for user error in these topics. If a guy is left open and he’s a sharp and everyone is a user. The defender should be held accountable for leaving them open. If you can’t get guard a sharp. They should light you up. If you leave a player open they should light you up.

I get latency is a thing. But my whole point is these guys shooting high 3 pt percentages aren’t taking those shots with hands on their faces after this latest game tuning on shot contests. They’re probably open shots.

But personally I’m having fun with the game. I’m fine with the archetype system. I would be cool using a big. I would be cool using a wing. Because I don’t play with randoms and I also don’t expect randoms to be able to switch or get me the ball in my spots.

Last edited by 24ct; 09-24-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
You can make Al Holford or Green in 2K19, but they won't be any good.

I just used 2klab's tool to spec them up. Holford, as a rebounding playmaker, maxes at 66 mid, 62 3-pointer, 62 speed with ball, 72 contest, and 88 rebound. But he's only 6'10. Now he has good length in real life, which would reduce his shooting even more though edge up his rebounding and defense some. He has no shooting badges, so even the corner 3 will be very hit or miss, but 62 speed with ball won't get him past anyone. With his low contest and at 6'10, he won't block many shots, stop many dunks, and he's going to get crushed on the boards because we all know he's going to go against 7'3" glass cleaners over and over.

Green gets u a 68 mid, 69 3, 69 speed with ball, 82 contest and 77 rebound. Better, but wait, he's 6'7". He also has no shooting badges. And he plays CENTER in all the Warrior's best lineups. In 2K he'd get outrebounded 30-3 most games. And he still doesn't have the ball handling to get past anyone.

Once again, both of these builds could be perfectly viable and interesting, except for one thing, getting crushed on the boards.

The issue with the current system is the EXTREMES. A handful of extremes are breaking the game for everyone else. One extreme is the limitless range pure sharp, who can shoot %60 from 28 feet consistently. The other is the 7'3" pure glass cleaner who can pick up 20+ boards a game. These two archetypes basically don't exist in the real world. Because of that they suck all the gameplay towards their two respective directions like black holes. The ultimate pro am team is a some sort of playmaking PG, 3 sharp/combo sharps and a glass cleaner/combo glass cleaner. One rebounder shouldn't be able to dominate the boards, and 1 dimensional shooters should be pretty easy to guard without multiple dynamic playmaking threats.

Fix these extremes, and I think we will find all kinds of interesting builds flourishing. But if they aren't fixed, gameplay isn't ever going to be interesting. If people started hitting 3s at a normal rate and glass cleaners were getting 13 boards a game instead of 25, we'd see a lot more variety.
That looks like a solid build for dray.

Why would that need shooting badges dray has shot %30 from the distance the past two years on mainly uncontested attempts
Old 09-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #59
Banned

I feel like 2K kinda nerfed bigs this year. My center can no longer have Free throw ace badge so im stuck with 65% free throw rating forever. In 18 my free throw was on gold and i would shoot 93% from the free throw line in pro am.

But to be honest i think it really all comes down to skill level when using bigs. Ive made a center glasscleaner for 3 years in a row now and always been carrying the team every time.

In the rec center when i would join walk on, im always the last person to join the game which happens about 90% of the time. Every other big that i faced in proam was never better then me. Almost 95% of games i play i finish with a A grade and a GUARANTEED 15 rebounds minimum. I think the best game i had was 24 pts 25 rebounds so far. But i gotta admit most of the off rebounds are because of the missed bunnys right next to the rim due to the shot timing.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #60
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct

I get shooting 70% is high but we’re also no accounting for user error in these topics. If a guy is left open and he’s a sharp and everyone is a user. The defender should be held accountable for leaving them open. If you can’t get guard a sharp. They should light you up. If you leave a player open they should light you up.

I get latency is a thing. But my whole point is these guys shooting high 3 pt percentages aren’t taking those shots with hands on their faces after this latest game tuning on shot contests. They’re probably open shots.
That is still way too high of a percentage. The best shooters in the NBA don't even hit 60% of their wide open threes. Hell, Curry was under 50% with no defender within 6 feet last season. On the other hand, there were several players who shot over 60% from inside the arc with a defender within 2 feet.

So for players to be able to shoot 70% or higher from three is ridiculous, especially considering the limitations placed on non-3pt builds. It's not realistic, and it's not balanced, period.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
That is still way too high of a percentage. The best shooters in the NBA don't even hit 60% of their wide open threes. Hell, Curry was under 50% with no defender within 6 feet last season. On the other hand, there were several players who shot over 60% from inside the arc with a defender within 2 feet.

So for players to be able to shoot 70% or higher from three is ridiculous, especially considering the limitations placed on non-3pt builds. It's not realistic, and it's not balanced, period.
Again. You’re not accounting for user skill. If you don’t know your shot you’re gonna brick those open shots. It’s not about realism when you’re playing user vs user. It’s about controller skill in my opinion.

I actually just played a game against a pure sharp the other day that couldn’t hit anything. I’ve also been playing myself & couldn’t hit a shot a was tilted.

Saying 70% on open shots is unrealistic is true. But this isn’t real life. It’s a video game. And you want to rewarded for knowing your created players release.

That’s like playing Madden & getting 7 user picks in a game and saying that doesn’t happen in real life. You would be right. You would also take into account the user controlled QB on the other team is throwing the same pass route that you just picked off several times. Should they not be punished for user error? Or should the game just make you miss wide open shots because it would be more realistic?

If you wanna stop a shooter play them like a shooter should be played.

Should 2k punish the user for being open more than they punish the user that’s letting the shooter get open?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
That looks like a solid build for dray.

Why would that need shooting badges dray has shot %30 from the distance the past two years on mainly uncontested attempts
Yeah people just acting like Draymond is this rebounding machine. He’s not Dennis Rodman when it comes to rebounding. Like Horford, his defense is what makes him Draymond.

When the Warriors go small. They are sacrificing rebounding for speed & spacing. They already know they’re gonna get out rebounded with their death lineup. They usually do get out rebounded but the 3s they get & the turnovers they create by going small make up for any offensive rebounds they give up. This is a chess move. Sometimes it works if the team goes small against them. Other times it doesn’t if the team can stay big & still matchup like the Cavs did before the Warriors added Durant.

You’re always gonna give up something playing basketball. It’s like a game of chess. Your move has to be 3/4 steps ahead of your opponent.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #63
MVP

ph33's Arena

Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
If you wanna stop a shooter play them like a shooter should be played.

Should 2k punish the user for being open more than they punish the user that’s letting the shooter get open?
I agree with your basic premise about user vs user, but....

This is where the problem lies, a shooter can get off a super quick "open" release far too easily. They can catch and shoot immediately and the game doesn't really take into account how tight the airspace is. I know we are all in favor of forcing the defense to get a hand up, but shooters can launch faster than the defense can get their hand up and the balance there is funky. If you don't get a hand up the game pretty much acts like the defender doesn't exist.

When a shooter gets the shot up at that speed it's because the defender is putting pressure on them to shoot that quickly, but the game doesn't take that into account.

For example there has to be a bigger difference between the openness of a catch and shoot where no one is around you, and a catch and shoot when curling off a screen with a defender trailing you closely. But in this game, both shots are basically the same.

I've played teams where shooters are running around limitless range area just waiting for a screen to hit before they make a quick shot. They're having to work way harder for that but this isn't taken into account. And that's where it messes with the spacing.

And shooters still shoot way too high a percentage from limitless, period, I don't care how open they are.

Last edited by ph33; 09-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #64
Pro

Just looking around my neighbourhood, it wasn’t difficult to find a bunch of guys shooting 60+ with a bunch of games. It doesn’t look like there’s a big difference between Park and Rec either from the guys I could find who played both. You’re severely understating how badly that unbalances the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »