Home

MyCareer gameplay is atrocious

This is a discussion on MyCareer gameplay is atrocious within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
MyCareer gameplay is atrocious

I had high hopes this year, and had a good time playing a Post Scorer/3pt on GSW. Gameplay was mostly fine because I patrolled the key and boosted defense. Offense consisted mostly of automated playcalling and post ups on mismatches. Got bored of it and decided to make a Shot-Creator/3pt SF, also on GSW.

Wow, I never imagined how atrocious the gameplay is. Playing on Allstar, it's just atrocious.
  • There's no such thing as a defensive mistake for the CPU. Even in fast breaks, they stick to me like glue. Screens don't really work, because I'm stuck in a crab dribble stance even with turbo. So they recover pretty much right away. Forget dribble moves and fakes, they don't fall for those. So right now I'm stuck with post moves, same as my PF, but worse since I can't bully my way into the paint anymore.
  • Mid range/3pt shooting is atrocious. Even with 80s in mid range and 70s in 3pt I regularly go 3/12 overall and 0/5 from deep, taking open and wide open shots.
  • I can't freelance at all. My defender literally sticks to me regardless of what happens. He'll also always bump and hand-check and shove me so that my movement speed is very low, all the while draining my stamina. That's bull**** and doesn't happen in the NBA that often. So I can't really run fast-paced plays because I'm stuck in slow animations ALL THE TIME. Oh yea, 3 second violations. My defender openly molests me and I can't do anything about it. Turbo doesn't work. He'll only release me when they get the ball back.
  • My teammates are ******** and perform extremely poorly on offense. They regularly take bad shots AND horrible shots, but mostly don't make them. That means players like Durant and Curry are not a threat on offense, same with players like Livingston who feasts on posting up smaller guards. My team, GSW, regularly loses because we're out-rebounded, and shot a way lower percentage than our opponent. It's like a permanent slump. It's been that way for 20 games. Our record is 6-14...
  • My teammates are also ******** on defense. Lockdown defenders like Iguodala and Draymond regularly gets beat by dribble move spam/backdoor cuts, as well as regularly giving too much space to the offensive player. Forget fast break defense, it's almost always a 3pt, a layup or a foul.
  • CPU offense is extremely cheesy. It consists of spamming dribble moves over and over, side to side, and force an open shot/layup animation when the defender is slightly out of position. The ball is also magnetic, because many of the animations have the ball fall far from their hands, but defies physics and bounce back to them, so they rarely get a turnover.
  • When they actually have motion in their offense, usually it's just setting a screen, side step to trigger the screen animation, and take an open shot. Again, very cheesy and frustrating.
Anyway I can get to play free-flowing ball like in the actual NBA?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
MVP

Re: MyCareer gameplay is atrocious

You pretty much summed it up. Not even a month in and I'm already tired of MyCareer. The worst part is a lot of those issues you mentioned are in PNO as well so I'm not having as much fun with that either.

On top of that, the AI jogs up the floor on a fastbreak.

Concerned that you said you were playing on All Star. I play on HOF and thought it would be better on lower difficulties.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Rookie

You’re on GS and you’re losing? lmao. I think you’re just kinda bad. Not that the game isn’t without its issues.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPerson
You’re on GS and you’re losing? lmao. I think you’re just kinda bad. Not that the game isn’t without its issues.

I am pretty bad when it comes to perimeter play, not gonna lie . Doesn't make what I say untrue.

However, GSW losing isn't because of me. I barely take 8-10 shots a game, make about 45-50% of those, 35% from 3pt. Usually get a +5 to +10 for +/-. However, no idea why the simulator would make us lose, usually when I get subbed out.

I'm not salty cause I lose, I'm salty cause the gameplay just flat out sucks. Almost as bad as Park...
Old 09-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Rookie

HesiPullupJimbo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trandoanhung1991
[*]My teammates are ******** and perform extremely poorly on offense. They regularly take bad shots AND horrible shots, but mostly don't make them.
I sympathize with most of what you said, but not this. My teammates all have really high true shooting percentages. A graphic came up in my last game (the 20th of the season) and it showed Bobby Portis was the 3rd most efficient scorer in the NBA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

I ended up just creating a player, adding him into a draft class roster, starting MyLeague and simming the first season. My guy got drafted so I then took user control of that team, put everything on auto and used player lock.

It's seriously night and day. I'm using Tomba's slider set from last year, with a few tweaks for me personally and the overall gameplay is outstanding.

My teammates actually play smart (at least the ones who should).

The only downside will come when my player becomes a free agent as I won't be able to control it from their perspective.

But aside from that, I can't even touch MyCareer anymore.
Created player + MyLeague + Player Lock = Win.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Pro

Cesco's Arena

OVR: 6

I felt the same the last few days. I play mostly MyLeague, but sometimes I switch to MyCareer and yesterday I started MyTeam also. Compared to the gameplay in MyLeague and MyTeam, MyCareer feels indeed terrible. I tried both Pro and All-Star and I found All-Star a bit cheesy and Pro more human-like.

I have to say I'm the kind of guy who never spend 1$/€ in VCs (I prefer to buy other games with the same money) and never cared about being a Pro in MyPark, so my player is still a 67 and struggles in the NBA, but the difference in gameplay is tangible. MyLeague is great even with default sliders and this year I'm also enjoying a lot MyTeam, even if it still pushes you a lot towards buying VCs to unlock stuff. I'm an old-school guy (or maybe only OLD, eh eh) who still prefers to grind.

Every year, after 10 or so NBA games, I get tired of MyCareer, every year. I strongly believe that if you don't buy (and spend) VCs and stay on par with other players you can't enjoy it. Worst of all, all the 80s and 90s players will quit Park games if you try to join with your 67 player.

It's easier and almost cheaper to buy basketball shoes in real like than in NBA 2K :-D
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 1

This year the myCareer gameplay is a lot different when it comes to perimeter. You don't get the huge blowbys that were part of 2K18, and defenders get stuck on picks less frequently and switch when picked much more often.

For lower ball handling shooters, the pick and pop is the ultimate play. For fast ball handlers, you need to run your P&R very fast, or speed boost out of it. Even then you won't get the clear separation and open dunk that was common in 18, but contested shots are easier to make. For my 6'4" playmaking sc, my goto is call for a pick & roll, then, as the pick is approaching, if my man jumps out to pressure me (Which he usually does), I do a pull back followed by a momentum dribble / speed boost which is enough to get my man to hit the pick. It's very hard to beat your man straight up, though if you have a mismatch it can be done, just be ready to reset if you don't make any progress, because you can't just count on the blowby animation kicking in.

Also, your AI teammates play much better if you let them run the offense. If you constantly do your own thing you are going to find they are all reduced to idiots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »