Home

Transition Defense

This is a discussion on Transition Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Transition Defense

This game has so many areas that need work. But this one right here.........it gets me every time. No matter if you switch to limit transition, defenders still play all the way into the lane. Even if you have the setting on deny ball it doesn’t matter. So the opposition comes on the court for a wide open 3 more often than not. It doesn’t matter what you do nor what kind of adjustments you make, they still do it.

The AI is just not up to par imo. Really they just tried to beef up defense with suction walls and glue along with passing lanes that any player can play from 1-5. Along with allowing elbow push backs, which in reality is really a foul call every time.

These past several years I’ve really been hoping to get my 2k11 fix back again, seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back every year. Not even close imo. Skill??? Negative

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

i'm with u guys. it gets my vote for #1 priority 2k20.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13

I am honestly expecting more people here join in this thread, becuz the problem is actually HUGE, yes you can play good defense and getting rewarded, especially after watching youtubes online, you will surely get better,

but is so frustrating when you play so well defense making stops during a half court set, but then you keep getting killed BY YOUR OWN AI TEAMMATE, when defending fast break, they don't find their own men and make stops, I keep getting owned by AI on three pointers in transition, I just don't know what to do, anyone can offer some help here??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #12
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Spoiler
I am currently working on a transition defensive piece. It'll hopefully be posted here within the month; I am trying to get it done as fast as possible but I don't want to rush it (plus there are other things getting in the way). But I also need to finish it as soon as possible so I can tweet the information to the developers. I was never planning to create a twitter account. But this has prompted me to do so. I also want to confine my information to that future thread first. And that is why, as one of the many users here on OS, I am not responding to this thread yet. It's one of the massive issue that 2k needs to tackle.

What you're experiencing in your original post is no coincidence. It's not a bug. That's how 2k programs their transition defense including their stand alone half court defense. You cannot initially use the closest defender (if they are out of position) to guard the ball handler -- that's going disrupt 2k's programming logic and result in those unwanted user induced double teams. Player awareness is actually one of 2k's weak links.

To combat the lack of awareness from your teammates during transition, you cannot play on-ball defense. You must initially play off-ball defense. You have to immediately turbo sprint the player you’re already controlling back as fast as possible. Then you have to use icon player select to take control of your wing defenders or the furthest player back to fortify the perimeter first or the paint first depending on how your defenders are covering their assignments. Wait until the opposing team's ballhandler gets either near/past halfcourt, then do either one of these: take control of the person down in the paint and move him outwards (if you see your paint defender is guarding no one), then switch back to on-ball defense, or vice versa. The person furthest back could be a point guard, so you have to read the transition defense. But most importantly, you must initially play off-ball defense and simply watch your coverage.

If you do, however, select the closest the defender (JJ Reddick) to pickup Lebron James like you did in your original post. You need to be mentally prepared to know that Covington WILL come guard Lebron James, at which point you switch to Convington. At which point, the CPU will take control of Reddick and find his original assignment.

The transition defense is a complicated mess because how 2k programs the logic is chaotic. It's not you, it's the game. I understand what 2k is trying to do. But it's unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknjr007
You aren't lying! Ive seen that a million times so far and its frustrating. Same thing happens when defending the pick and roll. I might go over the screen and my teammate will double the ballhandler instead of sticking to the big man who rolls to the basket EVERYTIME
On default settings, always switch to the big man when defending the pick and roll.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 10-03-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Transition Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I am currently working on a transition defensive piece. It'll hopefully be posted here within the month.

CAN. NOT.WAIT.

In the meantime i'll keep crying about long passes and clueless transition defenders .

Last edited by Kushmir; 10-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Saw this today and cheered out loud. Defender attacks long pass into his area. I would have preferred he never turned around (they should get back facing the ball) but at minimum we should see deflections out of bounds like these. Its time for the long passes and incompetent transition defense to die.

More of these please.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

*Sigh*

Any game against savvy players ALWAYS devolves into long passes when they need a basket.

FACT: No defense in the NBA struggles getting back after a score. A top 3 defense where transition defenders aren't facing the ball retreating and ready to pounce on passes like these? NO WAY.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2018, 03:06 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

Has this problem been addressed through the patches lately?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »