Home

#StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

This is a discussion on #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

Totally agree with the OP, I also sent a tweet to mike wang and Timmerman on this issue a couple of days ago.

"Funny" thing is that reaching the rebounder has been an automatic foul in 2k for years, and now they changed it.

If you are into online (especially pro-am), it also makes almost useless badges like One Man Fast Break and Break Starter, as you get stripped before making a single dribble/pass.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Here's an instance where bad timing actually results in a negative outcome, sadly its rare.

What happens most often:

Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Pro

kenn5373's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
I don't understand the point of having a Steal rating if every player in the game is Deion Sanders when it comes to intercepting the ball.. There's no downside to just pressing square every single time on reaction of seeing the ball handler make a movement and daring the pass to come in that direction.

I've been saying that just as your teammate grade goes down for bad block attempts they should go down for bad steals attempts. All you see on defense is players flailing their arms around because they're pressing steal even if they're nowhere close to the ball. There's no consequence at all for doing it. It doesn't put you in a bad position if your pressing it at the wrong time and it rewards you with a steal if the pass does happen to be coming your way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Ask yourself how many steals should you get to miss before you're punished with a foul or bad position? Think about it, if every steal attempt has the potential to take the ball, the chances for a failure must be HIGHER than success based on the amount of steal infrequency alone.

Those numbers are skewed horribly tho. From earlier today:

Paul's first miss at 1:16 is the kind of missed steal animation we want. Sure I could have gone to the basket but I wanted you guys to see how many times users can spam steal without consequence....I count 7 misses--not one foul call. Thats horrible balance because CP3 is an elite ball thief. If an elite player (this guy isn't) can spam with him it breaks gameplay.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-28-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

How spamming steal and double team ruin 2K19 gameplay, i'm also now realizing how much of a force multiplier passing lane steals are when combined with the Double team. I've said for years that the double team had to be carefully tuned and balanced (it should have always had high fatigue drain and a 50% chance of a contact foul to prevent abuse)

Right now its the ultimate force multiplier when you add it with passing lane steals. Also, count the sheer number of inbounds to half-court I score--it breaks the defense too often....1) no set defense should allow that. The long pass thing has to get resolved.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-27-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree that there should be more lazy steal attempt animations, but don't agree that they should force you into extreme animations. That lazy reach around steal attempt (aka what Harden does to a lot of the people he guards instead of staying in front of them) should be what happens most of the time when you attempt to steal from a driving player, because in real life, reaching across someone as they are driving usually results in you clotheslining them. An exception would be if you are using a long defender that has a good steal rating that would be able to reach that far with enough quickness to poke the ball loose (aka Kawhi Leonard)

The one situation that should result in foul animations more is the steal right off the rebound. You literally don't even see the camera fully change or gain control of your player yet and the ball is already gone. That should end up being a reach in foul 8/10.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
I agree that there should be more lazy steal attempt animations, but don't agree that they should force you into extreme animations. That lazy reach around steal attempt (aka what Harden does to a lot of the people he guards instead of staying in front of them) should be what happens most of the time when you attempt to steal from a driving player, because in real life, reaching across someone as they are driving usually results in you clotheslining them.
I'm fine with the reach around being frequent as long as the numbers are right. You'll notice it forced a turnover in the vid above. That can't be a frequent outcome--maybe 1 time in 20 outcomes. The other instances should be foul (12 outcomes) and simply beat off the dribble like in the PHX vids above (7 outcomes)

I do like that lunging Horford animation tho. Too me thats what happens when you're too far away or have low ratings.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-08-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Welp....tried to preserve the 20pt win over Golden State but #StealSpam wasn't having it. Pay attention to all the missed steals with no downside or penalty.

The passing lane steal by Jerekbo (steal rating 38) at the 55 sec mark (game clock) defies description. Steal spam is the new hip-riding animation as ANYONE CAN DO IT.

The video ends with me hitting Protect Ball as soon as Muscala gets the rebound (ridiculous in and of itself) and the ball being stolen anyway....this whole thing is comical at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »