Home

#StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

This is a discussion on #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

The best counter to the teams that just run around smashing the steal button and playing the passing lanes like that is to have a post scorer on your team.

The post entry pass is the safest pass to make this year, and the post animations will overpower any build that doesn't have gold or higher defensive stopper (glass cleaners only get silver stopper, which isn't enough to negate hall of fame post badges).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2018, 02:13 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 1

Op, u make excellent points I agree that the steal spam is op there’s no doubt about it. However, if we keeping it a buck, based off the few clips you posted, there’s a part of me that has to respect their attempts to actually play on ball d.

Ima be honest, I actually prefer to play the guys you posted over ur style of offball defense. Now clearly we have an ADHD 2k community where we want every shot to go in and every steal attempt to be successful I get that. Those the types of players we will run into it’s unavoidable. But my personal issue with the steal spammers are the spammers who are off ball with it as the cpu defense is stifling as it is. I’d contend that offball spammers are actually the worst offenders. Waiting till the cpu forces u one way and just waiting in the lanes or disrupting a simple play from ur playbook it’s pretty lame.
U posted a clip where u was offball and homeboy couldn’t get pass the cpu u caught a break and ur cpu made the stop. Meanwhile he at least guarded up spammer or not. Now I respect u not a spammer but I’d lighten up on the guys who at least guarding u up
Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #43
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm done with this game till they fix this. After the first quarter of my last rec game i had 5 TOs because every pass is tipped and anyone can just run up to you and you'll drop the ball even with a 90 ball control. It's not like i was throwing bad passes like everyone says. I'm talking about a man wide open in the corner and I'm on the same side on the wing. You telling me that someone can come from the paint and tip that pass? He's out of position. If i made the pass and he contested and we missed i might not be angry. But if you're not a defending archetype you shouldn't be able to make pick 6 interceptions like that.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #44
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Shirls
Op, u make excellent points I agree that the steal spam is op there’s no doubt about it. However, if we keeping it a buck, based off the few clips you posted, there’s a part of me that has to respect their attempts to actually play on ball d. Now I respect u not a spammer but I’d lighten up on the guys who at least guarding u up
Understood, Keep in mind not everyone's hiding--and "guarding you" isn't an indicator of skill. There's no inherent value in it. What you described is your preference--and you're certainly entitled to it...but as long as the other user isn't abusing the AI there's no valid complaint. Most people who've played me will tell you I play defense pretty well. My issue? I play the 2 because 10+ ys of playing 2K have showed me that's the position OVERHELP leaves open and 2) I can stop pin-downs really well and 3) I don't like the delay after you switch to a new defender....i'm proactive by mastering stopping the 2 on defense instead of being reactive and trying to stop catch-and-shoot plays after its too late.

CPU actions are inevitable (we're controlling 1 of the 5 players on the court) I've always found it interesting how certain ones are acceptable, but the same people let the CPU rebound and screen for them without complaint.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-29-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #45
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
I'm done with this game till they fix this. After the first quarter of my last rec game i had 5 TOs because every pass is tipped and anyone can just run up to you and you'll drop the ball even with a 90 ball control. It's not like i was throwing bad passes like everyone says. I'm talking about a man wide open in the corner and I'm on the same side on the wing. You telling me that someone can come from the paint and tip that pass? He's out of position. If i made the pass and he contested and we missed i might not be angry. But if you're not a defending archetype you shouldn't be able to make pick 6 interceptions like that.
It's pretty annoying. You see this in Pro-AM streams too.

The guy guarding the inbounder and the guy guarding the ball handler double him immediately off the inbounds (If their intercept spam didn't work)

As the ball handler, much of the time, you're lucky if you can even make a pass over them. And if you do, the other 3 will be hounding the lanes like piranhas. The annoying thing is that they can be behind the person you're trying to pass it, but the moment you hit X is when your teammate gets frozen and the other guy warps straight to the ball.

The best alternative is to just have a secondary ball handler to inbound it to away from the spammers. It's possible to space the floor properly, but because the defense's interception/tip range is so wide, it makes it really difficult at times.

Have I mentioned that it seems like there's a delay when you hit the pass button? There are times where I'm like hitting it repeatedly wondering why it's not happening and that just gives the defense enough time to swarm into position.

When we play, we'll play straight up at first, but if the opponent wants to open Medusa's box we'll happily oblige.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #46
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Shirls
Op, u make excellent points I agree that the steal spam is op there’s no doubt about it. However, if we keeping it a buck, based off the few clips you posted, there’s a part of me that has to respect their attempts to actually play on ball d.
I get that there's this misconception that users who don't switch every time the ball is passed can't play D--but I assure you its not the case with me. Keep in mind I play the two whether its Roberson or Harden. Its helps my defense because I can take my weakest defender and make sure he's not doing anything silly (like overhelping) people assuming i'm a fish on D usually end up frustrated.

I always chuckle when dudes online waste possessions trying to and-1 me....its not that kinda party--TRUST.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #47
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
The best alternative is to just have a secondary ball handler to inbound it to away from the spammers. It's possible to space the floor properly, but because the defense's interception/tip range is so wide, it makes it really difficult at times.
This is why I wanted to post some videos. I keep hearing that people need to learn to pass and only bad passes get intercepted. That narrative is wrong. Plenty of good passes get intercepted and tipped as well. You really have to readjust your perception on what’s a safe pass in this game and it definitely doesn’t fall in-line with real basketball. It really discourages ball movement which is a shame.

When people bring this up, I keep hearing claims like “Ok well I guess you just want it like other years where you can pass to the paint from anywhere and it just goes through everyone.” Why are there only 2 possible outcomes? Why can’t there be a middle ground? I think you’re letting the developers off easy if you believe these are the only options.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
This is why I wanted to post some videos. I keep hearing that people need to learn to pass and only bad passes get intercepted. That narrative is wrong. Plenty of good passes get intercepted and tipped as well. You really have to readjust your perception on what’s a safe pass in this game and it definitely doesn’t fall in-line with real basketball. It really discourages ball movement which is a shame.

When people bring this up, I keep hearing claims like “Ok well I guess you just want it like other years where you can pass to the paint from anywhere and it just goes through everyone.” Why are there only 2 possible outcomes? Why can’t there be a middle ground? I think you’re letting the developers off easy if you believe these are the only options.

They have literally killed backdoor cuts with this game, the amount of distance a player can cover when they hit steal is insane. Those animations should only be for lockdowns, and they need to make a system where the player has to see the ball to attempt a steal.

The onball swipes are stupid as well, centers can rip guards in the open court just by rushing them and hitting steal at the right time. If you actually play on ball defense and back up and bit then reach in you get the foul called, but running at the offensive player like you're about to tackle them and just swinging actually works out better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »