Home

Learning to Embrace the MyCareer Grind in NBA 2K19

This is a discussion on Learning to Embrace the MyCareer Grind in NBA 2K19 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #25
Rookie

laflame's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Learning to Embrace the MyCareer Grind in NBA 2K19

We post here because we enjoy 2k and therefore inherently have some bias. Yet and still on the section of the Internet that is perhaps most favorable to 2k there is significant criticism of the game and the practices of the company in most every discussion thread. I paid for this game, so why does it feel like I’m on a gambling website when I load up the park?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

People ***** and moan about VC and the grind every single day (and years) and they voice that. What's wrong with someone who views the grind differently voicing that?? I hate how some of these guys act like there's only one (poor us, greedy companies) way to look at VC. I found the article an interesting take. No better or worse than anything else I have seen on microtransactions.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #27
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Am I the only one who read this as devil's advocate mixed with parody mixed with tongue in cheek?

Sounds like the writer is having a bit of fun with us here.

I think the ridiculousness of the arguments against the criticisms are intentionally trying to highlight the reality of the situation - that it is all just a bit ridiculous how far VC has gotten. At least, in my opinion, if this is in fact a serious attempt at a rebuttal against the VC grind criticisms, it is indistinguishable from a parody of a 2K fanboy.
I absolutely read it the same way as you NZA....
Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #28
Banned

Firstly, i don't have any problem with OS writing this article and presenting it to us as a differing or opposing opinion on 2k's business practices.

I just want to address a couple of specific points made.

Quote:
2K makes you a piece of human trash so you feel forced to buy VC

I don’t know about a piece of human trash, but is it really all that surprising that you would start as a lowly scrub when you begin your career in NBA 2K19? What were you expecting? That you would start out as an 80 overall without doing anything at all? That would defeat the whole purpose of progression and provide little sense of accomplishment for improving. Yes, your player isn’t going to be very good at all at the outset but that offers all the more incentive to play the game, improve your skills on the court, and this will ultimately lead to accumulating enough VC to start boosting those attributes.

Does 2K make you this “piece of human trash” in order to entice you to buy VC instead of earning it? Sure, that’s certainly part of it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a necessity. You could always grind for VC instead and do it the hard way.
The problem with this point, is that it completely negates the length of time people need to put in in order to grind from 60 to 85. In VC terms, the grind is approximately 190,000 vc, and most of this will need to be played as a professional basketball player that can't make a shot, layup, pass, dribble or move up and down the court in a way that is above the skill and speed of an average 10yr old. To reach that initial 85ovr, you're probably looking at approx 200hrs, or the equivalent of 5 week full time job. Does that seem reasonable for non-youtubers/people with grown up work/education/commitments?

I do think that once you've hit the level where you're banking VC at a faster rate than you need it for your upgrades, then 2k have done a good job this year of balancing it out. I'm earning between 2700-3500k vc per game and that's the best since 2k14. I'm pretty sure I'll hit 96ovr this year, so at that point I'll be earning between 5400-7000k vc per game, and that will be the most of all time in any game since 2k introduced VC.

I'm only creating one player this year, so all this VC I have banked isn't going anywhere and will only increase further and further. Maybe I'll treat myself to one of those skateboards so hilariously *cough cough* mocked in the article.

Quote:
“Grinding for VC instead of paying for it is equal to working for 40 cents per hour.”

I’m sorry, are you being forced to work long hours at some sort of 2K slave labor camp? It clearly must be some kind of horrible predicament that people find themselves in to speak of playing a basketball video game as if they are instead toiling away in a coal mine or doing similarly hard labor.

A friendly reminder: this game is supposed to be fun. If you look at the prospect of playing a basketball video game as some sort of punishment or indignity that has to be suffered through rather than enjoyed, there’s real possibility that this might not be the game for you.
This is where you hit the absolute nail on the head, and it is where you stray furthest from what 2k would actually want written into any article. People play video games for fun, or at least that used to be the aim. But grinding hour after hour after hour loses its appeal quickly when there is no reward to go along with it. Once you hit a certain ovr, the grind between that and the next upgrades are punishingly long and monotonous.

Personally, I couldn't care less about having a 99ovr that is actually closer to a genuine 89ovr than the label we're given, but I do want those attribute upgrades. The fact that for the 2nd year running, 2k have given us zero control over what we unlock just forces an on-going grind designed to bore 2k's own customers into giving in and creating a new build with the potential for money to be spent on VC, all over again.

Quote:
“MyCareer archetypes need to be changed.”

The archetypes in NBA 2K19 are in place to allow you to create specific types of players that do can do a couple of things well at the cost of being limited in other facets of the game. The main reason that people like this want to see these archetypes changed is because they’d probably like their player to be good at absolutely everything instead. In a perfect world, they’d be able to create a 7-footer who moves with the quickness of Westbrook, rebounds like Rodman and shoots three-pointers as if he was the second coming of Steph Curry. Learn to embrace the strengths and accept the shortcomings of your players and focus on what they do well instead of what they are lacking.
This for me, is the most common misconception any critics of the archetype system receive; It's predictable, boring, and not anchored to reality.

I started playing 2k originally because of mycareer; I loved that I could create and grow my own players like KD, MJ, KAJ etc, not to end up as a 99 ovr Joe Ingles (apologies if you're reading this, Joe - loved what you did against playoff P!) Archetypes were introduced for 2 reasons in my opinion; E-sports and limiting what players could do in order to get them to make more builds.

2k15 parks were never this empty ever, even on the night that 2k16 was released, and 2k16 parks were never this empty, and you know what? People were enjoying playing those games right through the games cycle.

2k15 gave us practically unlimited attributes, and I agree that 7ft SF's were an issue, then the 7'2PG glitch was an even bigger issue, but those could have been addressed in a similar way to 16. You want to be 7ft? Great, well now you're going to be slower and worse at ball control, shooting etc.

Another problem with archetypes is that imo they're actually responsible for the many game affecting issues we see now. In 17, players complained about playmakers being able to finish at the rim so effectively, so what happened last year? The attempt to balance that out lead to the layup off the underside of the backboard issue, and this year has lead to the fact that I can barely finish my dinner under the rim as a pure post scorer, never mind hit layups with dudes nearby consistently.

You can almost see the tightrope that 2k are forcing themselves to walk each year, as they try and make all archetypes as both viable and balanced. I don't envy them for putting this much work back on themselves when it's so completely and utterly unnecessary.

People complained about a skills gap the last couple of years as archetypes and badges have proved a crutch to bail out players instead of their own abilities. No one ever complained of a skill gap in 15 or 16 for the very reason that we all had access to the same players. There is no skill gap this year again because shooting builds exist and they can finish contested 40 ft jump shots at a higher rate than I can finish 6 inch layups with a dude behind me.

Give 2 teams of 3 players 99's in each attribute and only silver badges, you'll find the better team wins, give the winners of the first game each a defensive playmaker, and give the other team sharps, and the better team with better players are unlikely to win; that's the opposite of a skillsgap. Being a good 2k player should never come down to running left and right before pressing a button once to shoot.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
People ***** and moan about VC and the grind every single day (and years) and they voice that. What's wrong with someone who views the grind differently voicing that?? I hate how some of these guys act like there's only one (poor us, greedy companies) way to look at VC. I found the article an interesting take. No better or worse than anything else I have seen on microtransactions.
You have admitted many times in the past that you don't play modes affected by these issues, and yet you continue to lecture people that do play these modes. Do you ever see any of the mycareer/mypark/pro-am guys in the Myleague or MyGm threads lecturing dudes about what slider sets and rosters they should be using?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #30
Pro

Article is garbage. Just get rid of this whole Road to 99 idea and go back to the old format. Top Rep should be determined by playing against actual people not some stupid MyCareer exploited grind. The rep system and VC is payout is a joke in this game. We need some changes next year.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #31
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

Lol that bit about how playing MyCareer doesn't involve having to suffer through anything to be enjoyed is gold. As if getting thrown into the NBA as a 62 OVR and having to use a horrible player for hours and hours is fun. I'm never going to buy VC, but I don't see why the "grind" isn't easy to start with and longer in the end. It shouldn't take hours and hours just to get to 75 (which is just a good or above average role player). If it were up to me, everyone would start at a 70 (like it used to be if I remember properly) so that you would immediately be able to be useful on the court and not rely on cheesing to get a high grade in game. People that have lives and can't dedicate hours and hours to the game will almost never reach a high 80 to 90 rating without buying VC so I always end up playing the mode for a week then going back to quick games in MyTeam or PNO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #32
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

Quote:
“2K how you gonna charge me 10k VC for shoes I made??

Did you hand-stitch those shoes yourself? Will you be playing barefoot without them? Yeah, you don’t really need those then. Keep grinding!
Yeah this is def has to be a parody piece. Lmfao

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »