Home

My frustration has finally happened

This is a discussion on My frustration has finally happened within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #41
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: My frustration has finally happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by soamazen23
Anyone else having trouble with the playcall messages not appearing?

My playcall is set to auto, full and show all msgs. But when im on offense the msgs is not being shown.

Is this happening to anybody else?
You have pull the HUB in the upper right-hand corner...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #42
Rookie

soamazen23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
You mean like the one on the upper right hand corner that gives you the grades?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #43
Rookie

soamazen23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76

Got it. Thanks
Old 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #44
Rookie

CelticBalla32's Arena

OVR: 5

Half the comments I see about this are people complaining about their success on specific difficult levels.

If you play on All-Star and you hate your life and get mad.... then play on Pro.

I personally love 2K19's gameplay. It forces you to play smart basketball. People are upset because it's "too hard" which means their knowledge of basketball is probably not what they believe it is.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
Half the comments I see about this are people complaining about their success on specific difficult levels.

If you play on All-Star and you hate your life and get mad.... then play on Pro.

I personally love 2K19's gameplay. It forces you to play smart basketball. People are upset because it's "too hard" which means their knowledge of basketball is probably not what they believe it is.
I like it too but it forces you to play non-sim unrealistic basketball often.

The CPU sliding is bad and unrealistic movements are killing the game.

There is still no contact animations in the paint.
https://youtu.be/8HsegAbx6bA

Last edited by keshunleon; 10-06-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBalla32

I think there's different kinds of "too hard". I typically don't mind getting beaten by better basketball. But I do have an issue when I'm beaten by programmed compensations.

In 2K17, I still have nightmares of timing a block attempt perfectly with Ben Wallace, only for the game to choose a conveniently slow jumping animation that'd allow an offensive player to narrowly slip a layup over his finger tips.

In 2K18, that compensation came in the form of nerfed point blank jump hooks and shot attempts in the paint to balance inside scoring.

So far in 2K19, perhaps in an effort to combat what some felt to be drives that were too accessible and successful in 2K18, there seems to be some over-compensation in terms of defensive sliding, limited offensive explosion, and a touch of the ol' brick wall defensive routine. Moreover, I've experienced some games so far where my point guard can't even reliably call a play without leaving the ball briefly exposed and having it poked away.

Those compensations aren't better basketball. Rather, they're just handicaps to prevent folks from being too effective. And I get it, you sort of need those handicaps when you're trying to create a balanced video game simulation of a real life activity, but they're handicaps nonetheless.

I'm still in the midst of feeling 2K19 out so I'm not ready to make any sweeping conclusions (I've been doing a lot of roster editing instead). As it stands right now, Pro seems to be way too easy of a difficulty but All-Star seems to start introducing a lot more video game fixes as opposed to improved computer basketball tendencies (Chauncey Billups suddenly can't protect the basketball and call a play at the same time on one end, defenders constantly lose their man via backdoor cut and watch the opposing point guard rifle 50-foot passes on the money for point blank layups as a result on the other).

When it's all said and done, I'm hoping I can find a suitable balance with sliders, but I can comfortably say that I don't think my issue is related to a supposed lack of basketball knowledge and understanding.

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #47
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Spoiler contains quotes about not being able to call plays while in protect mode.
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdeguerre
I genuinely hope this won't be the ultimate resolution to the protect-ball + playcalling bug. You can't call plays while dribbling? That's so lame.
Technically, you can still call plays while dribbling, just probably not if you're standing completely still. Yes, once you activate the play calling system despite holding onto L2, you lose the ball protect mechanism. I probably just haven't figured out how to still protect the ball while calling a play.

The following video is calling a play while dribbling. I don't recall if I held L2 (ball protect). I know I over did the movements a bit; it was purposely done to show an exaggeration of the solution. So this is a variation on what I would do when calling plays. If I do call a play it's normally before I cross half court, then improvise when needed. Or if necessary during half-court but I don't stand still. I move around a bit to activate play-calling.

A second thing you could probably do (it feels like it) is to pass the ball to the teammate and get it right back and that sometimes stops the defender from hugging up on you.

That's actually one of my pet-peeves in years past (and probably still) is that the CPU ball handler simply stands stills calling a play instead trying to do it while being active (i.e. fake a dribble drive, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Spoiler

So far in 2K19, perhaps in an effort to combat what some felt to be drives that were too accessible and successful in 2K18, there seems to be some over-compensation in terms of defensive sliding, limited offensive explosion, and a touch of the ol' brick wall defensive routine. Moreover, I've experienced some games so far where my point guard can't even reliably call a play without leaving the ball briefly exposed and having it poked away.

Those compensations aren't better basketball. Rather, they're just handicaps to prevent folks from being too effective. And I get it, you sort of need those handicaps when you're trying to create a balanced video game simulation of a real life activity, but they're handicaps nonetheless.
Spoiler
You know, more often than not (default settings, still playing the game unpatched) I have to check the game itself and settings just to make sure I'm still on HOF and still playing NBA2k19 because I feel like I can still blow by the defenders at ease sometimes. Often I would revisit those moments in replay mode just to see me completely leave the CPU HOF in the dust with one or two dribble move, and sometimes it was simply a quick first step.

The first time I heard of the "brick wall phenomenon" was a few years ago. I always wonder if that was simply coined by lesser skilled players not being able to get around defenders. And I personally do consider myself a lesser skilled player, but I do feel the existing on-ball defense or "lack there of" from the CPU is about right.

My biggest issue with 2k basketball in general is that I've come to realize that "awareness" is actually 2k's biggest weakness; it's their weakest link.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 10-06-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
You know, more often than not (default settings, still playing the game unpatched) I have to check the game itself and settings just to make sure I'm still on HOF and still playing NBA2k19 because I feel like I can still blow by the defenders at ease sometimes. Often I would revisit those moments in replay mode just to see me completely leave the CPU HOF in the dust with one or two dribble move, and sometimes it was simply a quick first step.

The first time I heard of the "brick wall phenomenon" was a few years ago. I always wonder if that was simply coined by lesser skilled players not being able to get around defenders. And I personally do consider myself a lesser skilled player, but I do feel the existing on-ball defense or "lack there of" from the CPU is about right.

My biggest issue with 2k basketball in general is that I've come to realize that "awareness" is actually 2k's biggest weakness; it's their weakest link.
I, too, am a relatively unskilled 2K player. I'm not helpless, but I'm not a guy who's going to master all the in's, out's, and glitches that'll help me climb an online leaderboard.

That said, my issues with eluding defenders in what I feel to be a realistic manner have pretty much fluctuated from year-to-year since 2K11. I thought offensive movement felt great for its time in 2K11, then we were hit with the magic sliding defense in 2K12. (Then I skipped a few years.)

By the time I came back in 2K17, I'm not sure I'd ever been more frustrated by a movement system. That year, it seemed like a significant portion of moves, timings, and weight shifts that'd usually induce an advantage in real life were all snuffed out by a defense that seemed to magically predict what you were doing the moment you hit the sticks.

I thought 2K18 was a breath of fresh air because I once again felt a freedom of movement that reminded me what it felt like to run the floor and operate in real life. Now, in 2K19 at the moment (again, only a few games in), it seems like a hint of the magic, superspeed slide defense is back, alongside a frequent inability to gain an edge when it appears an edge would typically be gain-able.

The issue, for me, comes when I have to stop thinking like a basketball player and instead think like a 2K19 player.

For instance, in the clip below, when Chucky Atkins decides to step out and pick up peak Baron Davis 28 feet away from the hoop, he should be opening himself up to some unsavory consequences. Unfortunately, the moment Davis' potential advantage is recognized and acted upon (size-up dribble and set-up for elusive maneuver), Atkins' feet magically slide backward at first before his entire body suddenly jets back toward the paint, allowing him to pressure one of the league's all-time great ball handlers nearly 30 feet from the hoop while at the same time giving nothing up and even staying in perfect position to contest a jumper.

I don't mind a little foot sliding if it's just ugly to look at. But I do have an issue when it means results that should be based off of things like momentum, inertia, weight shifting, and balance are instead decided by a game that wants to negate a correctly acknowledged advantage for the sake of difficulty or proverbial balance.

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »