Home

Taking a Look at NBA 2K19 MyLeague and Why Sliders Are Necessary

This is a discussion on Taking a Look at NBA 2K19 MyLeague and Why Sliders Are Necessary within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Taking a Look at NBA 2K19 MyLeague and Why Sliders Are Necessary

Prior to the advent of card-collecting modes or single-player campaigns, the most anticipated mode in a...

Written By: Brandon Kosal

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
This is still, by far, my most played mode. I appreciate the ability to use sliders but it sure would save time if it worked more realistically right out of the box. I haven't played around with the sliders but I have ran a few test MyLeagues myself to see how things pan out. A.I of the CPU simulation decisions is what needs to be most improved. If there's a free agent as good as Julius Randle available a team should definitely have picked him up before the season starts. Even simulation wins and losses from non controlled teams can be pretty wonky at times. Of the test MyLeagues I ran it seemed kinda inconsistent as to whether it was unrealistic or more spot-on. So, I'd say A.I. decisions of CPU, more realistic contracts, and more consistent sim stats are what's most important for me as far as needing to be improved. There also seems to be an issue with an unrealistic number of G-League players becoming eventual all-stars but again, this seems inconsistent. I still haven't started my official MyLeague yet for this year as I have been hoping and waiting a patch may come out to address some of these issues with the default sliders. It's likely I'll start within the next 2 or 3 weeks regardless as I'm really eager to get started.*
Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Taking a Look at NBA 2K19 MyLeague and Why Sliders Are Necessary

The most glaring is that after 10 years of sim, 80-89 rated players shot from 60 total in Y1 to 233 in Y10. Like, did they do any testing? It's great to give us sliders, but it feels like they're just saying "we don't feel like putting any effort into this, so you guys figure it out."
Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
At the start of season 11, 17 teams were more than $60 million over the salary cap, with a handful of those teams $100 million or more over. That probably has something to do with the diluted talent pool. Out of the box, 2K19 features 60 players rated between 80-89. But by the start of the 2028-2029 season, that number shot from 60 to 233. That likely helps explain why so many teams are way over the cap as there are so many players that fall into max or near-max salary range. Sliders are definitely needed to help fix this.
There are so many variables at play, and some things aren't related to sliders.

Other factors contributing to it:
-Roster (most players reaching their potential rather than busting)
-G-League and euro-stash guys progressing 7-8 pts overall. It's not uncommon to see a random G-League get up to 80ovrl within 1 or 2 seasons. There's probably like 5 or so of these guys per offseason. This is creating a big misbalance where obscure players are taking up space in the league. It's cool that random guys break out every now and then but it's far too common at the moment, and it shouldn't be limited to just G-Leaguers and euro-stashes.
-Player peaks are ending too late (this is a roster issue. 2K's roster by default has a lot of guys that start their decline too late, so they stick around in the league too long. In general, a player's peak would start around 25 and end around 30, give or take a year or 2. It should be rare to see player peak ends at 33 and beyond.

I'd be interested to try and compare how many injuries there are in MyLeague compared to real life. I suspect there's way less in MyLeague, possibly half. Perhaps injury frequency needs to be increased in the MyLeague sliders so that it creates more space and keeps the oversaturation of talent at bay.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut7
The most glaring is that after 10 years of sim, 80-89 rated players shot from 60 total in Y1 to 233 in Y10. Like, did they do any testing? It's great to give us sliders, but it feels like they're just saying "we don't feel like putting any effort into this, so you guys figure it out."
I agree. Although I love myleague customization I feel like we have to figure out everything instead of things just being fixed. I don't really feel like myleague changed at all. Needs better presentation for increased immersion.
Customizing sometimes gives me headaches. Sometimes I just want to play instead of adjusting things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

There are a number of issues remaining in MyLeague that need to be adjusted -- the ages of imported draft classes with historical players, the inability to upload created alternate jerseys and use them, the contract extensions for rookies (which, yes, can't be done during the offseason but you should be able to extend the rookie's rookie scale contract in the regular season, as was recently demonstrated by the T'Wolves with KAT -- it is impossible to do that at this moment however for any rookies, as the game tells you that the they don't have the right amount of years (4) on their original contract but the correct amount is 4).

More attention to these and other issues across multiple game modes is needed. We're all just sitting here waiting on a Patch to fix things but there's been little communication either through direct postings here, on twitter or reddit, or via 2K support (which, as per usual, is a mixed bag of responses).

If OS is going to do an article on NBA 2K, I think one focusing on the remaining issues with the game and bringing attention to that (hopefully garnering an official response from 2K) would be more welcome by myself and the rest of the community.

For me at least, and probably some others, it feels like all the posts in the Bug and Glitches thread, the multiple 2K support tickets, and the multiple "Official Feedback" threads on reddit are just screaming into the void. The community needs video game journalists to highlight the continuing issues we're facing and bring attention to the issue that the makers of the game will have a hard time ignoring.

As nice as a MyTeam or MyLeague or MyCareer article is highlighting what's right with the mode, there should be articles to highlight what's still broken with those modes and those articles should be asking why they're still broken and what 2K's official stance is on it.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
In your sim are you experiencing this bug beginning in year 2 where Centers in the draft are not ranked properly?
Prospect Bug - Centers Not Ranked and Drafted

Even with 100% scouting, the Centers end up not getting drafted by the CPU in simulation and they end up in the FA pool. Of course, the highly rated ones demand a ton of money and end up with bloated salaries. This along with the inflated talent pool, can lead to many teams over the salary cap after several years
Old 10-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Rookie

fzdoom's Arena

OVR: 1
I think, when it comes to too many players rated 80+, you just have to edit the drafts classes.* If you let 2K auto-create a draft class every year the potential ratings are too high.* I usually create my own and try to realistically edit the incoming rookies.* maybe a 90 potential on a couple of guys for instance, but after the lottery bring those potentials down to the low 80's - high 70's.**

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »