Home

Off Ball (User Defense) vs Computer Defense Inconsistencies!!!

This is a discussion on Off Ball (User Defense) vs Computer Defense Inconsistencies!!! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Off Ball (User Defense) vs Computer Defense Inconsistencies!!!

Someone explain how to play good user defense. I have looked at the movement of the computer defense and they don't operate under the same conditions as human playing user defense and this is a HUGE PROBLEM!

The computer defense is so over powered this year that it has become a crutch for lesser skilled players who don't have good user skills. When it comes to online, head to head, peer to peer competitive play, user defense should be MANDATORY. If anyone wants to play the computer, play offline.

There is such an imbalance in defense between user defense (off ball) vs computer defense that its borderline game breaking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Off Ball (User Defense) vs Computer Defense Inconsistencies!!!

I feel you. It certainly is a crutch for guys who cant play good defense. They just control the Center and let the cpu ai do all the work.

What I had to relearn going from 18 to 19 is to lay off the "L" trigger for spot up defense as holding it will cause your man to blow right by you due to poor lateral movement. The only time you should tap or hold the L trigger is when you have perfect positioning in front of the ball handler and it will push him back from driving.

Best way to play defense is to rely on the stick to stay in front of your man. Lateral movement is much quicker.

Lay off the steal button cause the second you do the cpu takes advantage of the moment to create space and break down your defense due to help D which leaves somebody open.

Yes, the cpu AI is psychic. Watch a replay and watch how they perfectly mimic your button presses. You move right, they move right. You wiggle left and right, they wiggle left and right. Seems as if ratings don't matter when it comes to cpu defense. You have just as hard of a time driving past Chris Paul as you would Jeff Teague.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Thats why i find it hard to play online, the computer almost wins users most games, and when you do pull ahead, you know the offensive rebounds are coming.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Only use turbo when absolutely necessary, e.g. when they drive or closing out a shooter.

Use the LS and control your movement like that. Cut off angles before they even try to do anything to fool them. Sag off a bit, but also smother them, too. Depends on what they do. Use turbo a little bit. If you use it too much, you'll get in trouble.

A lot of players and even the AI don't like being pressured, so the more you try to deny them, the more they can't think. This in turn makes them lose time on the shot clock, so they have no time to get off a shot, so this leads to...

1. Shot clock violation.
2. A stupid turnover, which leads to easy points for you.

I average a lot of fastbreak points like 30-45 or sometimes even more than that. I get a lot of shot clock violations, too.

I've said for years on this forum: Anyone can hold a button and release it for a shot, but defense is an art. I love playing defense. I haven't played 2K19 that much, but the games I have played? Defense is amazing on my end. I can actually play defense like I did in the past.

Think of it like this: Have you played a video game that uses stealth tactics? You have to make calculated and slow movements, right? Play defense on this game just like that. I hope this helps.

P.S. Do not be afraid to go into 2KU and scrimmage. Make all the mistakes you want there.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kVetRespect
Someone explain how to play good user defense. I have looked at the movement of the computer defense and they don't operate under the same conditions as human playing user defense and this is a HUGE PROBLEM!

The computer defense is so over powered this year that it has become a crutch for lesser skilled players who don't have good user skills. When it comes to online, head to head, peer to peer competitive play, user defense should be MANDATORY. If anyone wants to play the computer, play offline.

There is such an imbalance in defense between user defense (off ball) vs computer defense that its borderline game breaking.
This is the #1 reason i stopped playing head to head online. People hiding behind the CPU defenders. Its the same reason i stopped playing madden. People refusing to switch onto the DB's allowing the cpu to do all the work for them.

The problem with this is simple. if both user players decide to let the cpu do all the work on defense. it means when either player is on offense they are playing vs the CPU not a HUMAN.

Think about that for a moment. the point of head to head, is to play person to person. not person to cpu.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Only use turbo when absolutely necessary, e.g. when they drive or closing out a shooter.

Use the LS and control your movement like that. Cut off angles before they even try to do anything to fool them. Sag off a bit, but also smother them, too. Depends on what they do. Use turbo a little bit. If you use it too much, you'll get in trouble.

A lot of players and even the AI don't like being pressured, so the more you try to deny them, the more they can't think. This in turn makes them lose time on the shot clock, so they have no time to get off a shot, so this leads to...

1. Shot clock violation.
2. A stupid turnover, which leads to easy points for you.

I average a lot of fastbreak points like 30-45 or sometimes even more than that. I get a lot of shot clock violations, too.

I've said for years on this forum: Anyone can hold a button and release it for a shot, but defense is an art. I love playing defense. I haven't played 2K19 that much, but the games I have played? Defense is amazing on my end. I can actually play defense like I did in the past.

Think of it like this: Have you played a video game that uses stealth tactics? You have to make calculated and slow movements, right? Play defense on this game just like that. I hope this helps.

P.S. Do not be afraid to go into 2KU and scrimmage. Make all the mistakes you want there.
I'm going to hurt your feelings a bit. a lot of that defense you think you're doing. thats 2k doing it for you. Doesnt mean YOU dont know how to play defense even if 2k wouldnt go that route. it just means what you think you are doing you may not actually be doing.

For an example. I play a ton of ReC center or pro am games with my my player vs other humans (no hiding behind cpu defenders/players.)

Big men are made to blow layups and miss dunks or not dunk when they should in order to give the defense a chance to shine.

This team i played kept running high screen and roll. small quick pg with a 3ball shaking and baking side to side waiting on the pick. I had my PG guy out this time(i also have a big man). since i realized the big on my team just didnt understand how to ICE that pick or trap it properly. I was forced to switch onto the big and let him follow the pg around.

the pg passes it to the big man. I'm guarding said big with my little 6'2 pg that is all of 180lbs. The big man couldnt do anything in the paint. sure i played very good position defense and all but lets be real here. this guy was 7'1, badged up, and had a higher overall rating. one stop? maybe, two stops? you're pushing your luck. Multiple stops with a little for a real big is STUPID and the game is allowing that to happen and its not because of my stellar defense. This is just one of many examples of how the game is helping you play defense. The game slows guys layups down or even shot animations off the dribble if the guy isnt a shot creator.
So again its not your great defense all the time. its just 2k being 2k. There are a lot of things you dont have to do properly on defense in order to still LOOK as if you play good defense.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Pro

AI is back to being basically just nonsense. They slide and warp back in front of you, move with you many times at a one to one ratio which is humanly impossible, and will instantly step with you every time you try and step back. They also will rarely help off making it insanely frustrating and unrealistic to play against. When I was playing this game I played a lot of Play Now Online Player Control in which you can play with AI or many people quit leaving an AI. In every single game I played, every single user matched up against an AI had a terrible game with low shooting percentages. I had a couple good games at point against AI with high assists but still shot poorly from the floor. Every time I match up against a human I light them up including a 65 point game. The inconsistency between human and AI is insane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »