Home

Who Plays Off-Ball D??

This is a discussion on Who Plays Off-Ball D?? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
Rookie

Moroccan_Boy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Who Plays Off-Ball D??

Off ballers ruined PNO

Its 99% off balling golden state users

Play some D stop being a child holding the hands pf the CPU grow up man up and D up !
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #18
Rookie

gu8lal8's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAH_U_AKBAR
Off ballers ruined PNO

Its 99% off balling golden state users

Play some D stop being a child holding the hands pf the CPU grow up man up and D up !
Sliders, green releases and lag are killing PNO, online should be HoF or Superstar sliders, ATM online sliders are PRO at best of course these GSW users are making every shot that's lightly contested. My only 3 losses in PNO were to GSW users but not because they were off-balling (which they were) but because they made every open and light contested shot.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu8lal8
I'm using a combination of both.

When my opponent is running pick and roll I usually play on-ball D so my PG defender won't be stuck on the screen plus I can decide to go over or under the screen.

When your opponent is running a play for a 3pt shooter coming of a screen it's better to play off-ball D and follow the shooter or you will be too late to contest plus you can switch, go over or under the screen.

IMO good defense is a combination of on-ball and off-ball defense.

You can exploit people who play 1 or the other exclusivly.

When you play someone who plays off-ball D exclusive, you can hit him with a pass fake and a back door cut (using triangle button on PS4), his AI defender will not contest the shot as good as you would be playing on-ball D and it's easier to draw a foul when you're driving or making a post move.

When I play someone who plays on-ball exclusive, I just play basketball (run plays, run pick & roll, post up mismatch), no way you can stop that playing on-ball D only.
Yeah I actually use a mix but mostly off ball helping off whoever the worst shooter on the floor is. I'll switch to on-ball if I think my opponent's about to shoot so I can make sure to get a good contest or if I know exactly what he's about to do so I can cut him off and possibly try to rip him.

If somebody is only playing on-ball online it's very easy to shake them and drive or pull up for an open 3. That's why I avoid it especially with how easy it is to shoot 3s online.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Funny because a majority of people online do play offball but wont admit it lol. I always say if you play offball vs another offball user its all good. Fair is fair. If you see your opponent guarding up onball and u still playing offball you duckin the fair one idc what ppl say. Its obvious onball is harder to master than offball i think the respect should be reciprocated imo but unfortunately thats rarely the case
Old 11-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #21
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Trust and believe playing off-ball defense as one player is playing defense...especially if you are controlling and having to guard and point guard or a 2. Try chasing Steph or Klay through screens. Try guarding Wall or Lillard. If i get beat i dont switch...i just hope my teammates help me out. I let my CPU teammates guard their men and let the chips fall where they may. I let them rebound as well. I love it actually. I play with the Bulls and am currently 1-3 in MyLeague. I played and beat Dallas. I control the point guard on defense. Crazy thing is, i held Dennis Smith Jr to 5 points on 2-19 shooting but JJ Barrea lit me up for 28. Played the Hornets and Kemba lit me up. I don't freelance or roam. I play my position and i rotate when it calls for me to. I can also tell a difference when i am controlling Dunn on defense versus a guy like Cam who has D perimeter D hrade. He gets abused. I love it.

Its basically Player Lock on D without actually having Player Lock on. Maybe thats what the title should have been lol.

Last edited by TarHeelPhenom; 11-06-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #22
Rookie

No shame. I play it against the cpu
Old 11-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #23
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonioshellz
Sometimes I'll user whoever scored the last basket. Pretty cool to play defensive possessions at a different position each time down the floor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm offline only and this how I play most of the time, as well. Whoever scores I just keep playing as them. The only times I switch is if a big scores and the guy that they are guarding beats them down court so I can't see them on screen anymore (since I play on Broadcast cam). However, once the other team in in their half court set, I don't switch.

I find that trying to keep up with guys like Curry, Redick, etc. coming off screens to be tough, plus if you get caught cheating or ball watching then it can lead to really easy buckets. To me, knowing my defensive assignment, rotating, fighting through screens, etc. is just as interesting (and more difficult at times) than just exclusively guarding the guy who has the ball.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I'm offline only and this how I play most of the time, as well. Whoever scores I just keep playing as them. The only times I switch is if a big scores and the guy that they are guarding beats them down court so I can't see them on screen anymore (since I play on Broadcast cam). However, once the other team in in their half court set, I don't switch.

I find that trying to keep up with guys like Curry, Redick, etc. coming off screens to be tough, plus if you get caught cheating or ball watching then it can lead to really easy buckets. To me, knowing my defensive assignment, rotating, fighting through screens, etc. is just as interesting (and more difficult at times) than just exclusively guarding the guy who has the ball.
This pretty much sums it up for me right here!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »