Home

Future 2K: Block Timing has to hold players Accountable

This is a discussion on Future 2K: Block Timing has to hold players Accountable within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Future 2K: Block Timing has to hold players Accountable

Agreed. I also think the hands up Contain should be as close to perfect defensive position as we see in the game. So much could be done with it, still it wouldn't guarantee anything, see below:

We should see contact animations, a higher percentage of misses, strips and even the offensive foul thats virtually disappeared from the game if users shoot while contained.

Obviously it would depend on matchup which is why triggering it would really require players of similar offensive/defensive rating. Me trying a hands up contain on say, AD with Redick should rarely trigger if ever. Here it works with Jalen Brown tho:

Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Agreed. I also think the hands up Contain should be as close to perfect defensive position as we see in the game. So much could be done with it, still it wouldn't guarantee anything, see below:

We should see contact animations, a higher percentage of misses, strips and even the offensive foul thats virtually disappeared from the game if users shoot while contained.

Obviously it would depend on matchup which is why triggering it would really require players of similar offensive/defensive rating. Me trying a hands up contain on say, AD with Redick should rarely trigger if ever. Here it works with Jalen Brown tho:

Yep, the common mantra you hear from coaches on the defensive end is "Hands up and move your feet!"

Better control over hands up contests and shot selection would allow for a deeper,more skilled level of interaction between shooter and defender rather than the "slap a button and hope you get the good animation" style we have now.

Using the clip from the other post as an example, Embiid could have elected to go straight up to take advantage of the defender's positioning directly under the hoop.This would probably be a better choice as with a deeper system that reverse layup would have either ended up stripped or even an offensive foul instead of just sliding the defender out of the way.It would also help to better differentiate the skill level and athleticism of the players;a big, strong defender like DAJ would get much different interactions than say Kevin Love.

Offensively it would better highlight the capabilities of some bigs to be able to just turn and shoot it right over mismatches.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
Offensively it would better highlight the capabilities of some bigs to be able to just turn and shoot it right over mismatches.
Exactly.

OAN: I think I just found my new pinned tweet. Nothing encompasses how bad Neutral Outcomes are and how egregious the pogo-sticking is than the clip below. True to form none of his missed blocks have any downside whatsoever-- but when he finally does have good timing he gets a block.

HILARIOUS.

Gameplay can't be one-sided like that.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-17-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #12
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Pre-release Mike Wang mentioned how you could draw fouls if you were shooting and someone came down on you. IMO there needs to be a big shift there....Anyone not a bad offensive player should lean into the contact and get a shot up like we see Embiid do in the clip below.

Obviously #AndOnes in these situations would be rare--the real bonus would be drawing fouls on bad defense and getting to the FT line. Defenders can't be pogo-sticking all over the place with no downside.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Exactly.

OAN: I think I just found my new pinned tweet. Nothing encompasses how bad Neutral Outcomes are and how egregious the pogo-sticking is than the clip below. True to form none of his missed blocks have any downside whatsoever-- but when he finally does have good timing he gets a block.

HILARIOUS.

Gameplay can't be one-sided like that.
The really bad thing is that he did an aggressive block and essentially jumped into the player with the ball every time with no downside.If this is going to be case, why did they even put the vertical shot contest (LS away from shooter + block to jump straight up, not that anyone uses it) in the game?

You said it best in an earlier post when you said that there HAS to be a balance of Risk vs. Reward; right now it's "all reward,no risk", and it hurts gameplay.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Call fouls when low rated shot blockers block shots, and limit the block animations of low rated blockers. Nothing worse then seeing a non athletic 6 foot 8 defender with a 40 block rating explode off the floor like Ben Wallace. Just call the foul.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Call fouls when low rated shot blockers block shots, and limit the block animations of low rated blockers. Nothing worse then seeing a non athletic 6 foot 8 defender with a 40 block rating explode off the floor like Ben Wallace. Just call the foul.
This. I for one have always felt like the variety of 2Ks outcomes was the strength of 2Ks game--you can create the same situation many times and see tons of outcomes. This is why the Single and Neutral Outcomes stick out like a sore thumb. They don't always have to call the foul, but a missed block has to result in the defender's momentum taking them out of good defensive position at a minimum. See Horford below:

And its not to say guys like Gordon Hayward or Jabari Parker wont get blocks at all--just that them missing and being out of the play or getting called for a foul will exceed any rejections--they just lack the skillset. Thats gameplay thats authentic...its the same thing that wont allow Ben Simmons to go 10 for 10 from the line...just won't happen, and its OK.

Embiid got whistled here. Its fine...it happens. In end the number of shots he changes/blocks will far exceed his fouls.

Just because a player can make a play doesn't mean they'll ALWAYS make it. Even with solid timing.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-17-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
MVP

It's the lack of momentum tied to weight that really kills things;in 2K 330 lb Shaq can miss a block and recover with the same speed as 135 lb Muggsy Bogues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »