Home

For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (IGN)

This is a discussion on For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (IGN) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (

Does Mike Wang care that godlike 3pt shooting is ruining the gameplay.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #34
Banned

Re: For Those That Didn't Know, Mike Wang Got Noticed From Posting on the OS Forums (

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
If their were 3 basketball games, one just focused on strict gameplay, fixing bugs and adding intriguing modes, then there was one that was in the middle but still had a little microtransactions and lacked strict gameplay focus fixing bugs etc, then the third was like 2k's game riddled with microtransactions and a excessive grind, ignoring easy bug fixes, glitches etc, the majority would buy the first one, your validation for microtransactions is wrong, its simply that 2k has had a monopoly on the basketball game market.
If EA executives were smart, this is exactly the route they would take (1st option) AND market it heavily as such:

- Great balanced gameplay. No OP builds

- Easy Grind (people would still be intrigued by trying out MORE builds AND actually getting into the competitive modes more) -- think 2K14. $20 maxxed out your guy, then hop in the game. I probably played 1000 crew games that year, and it was a blast because the majority of the game was spent on building your roster, recruiting, and developing team chemistry. How it should be!

- No or low VC

NBA Live would get 1000's of users just from these 3 elements alone, because

1) There's a large percentage of gamers who vehemently can't stand the grind/VC model

2) There's a large percentage who stopped playing 2K due to the grind (plenty on my friends list). This would bring them back.

3) It's contradictory to 2K's new business model, so there's an opportunity there. 2K is so reliant on this model now, that a game that was the antithesis to it, a throwback of sorts (and sim??), would be refreshing af to the bball game community.

I actually hope NBA Live starts competing, competition is good. Ironically (because 2K knows what it's like to be on the other side of it), 2K has kinda gotten like Madden got being an NFL game monopoly.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #35
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Lol, I need to tell some of these movie directors who had their projects ruined by studio interference they should have just "put their foot down"

Unfortunately, it doesnt work like that in real life. They can certainly fight it, but the funding entity always gets the final say. It's not really about guilt or innocence, just common sense of how this stuff works.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-31-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #36
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Reading these posts, I question if some of you ever had a job before if you think you can just go against what corporate wants.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith01
Does Mike Wang care that godlike 3pt shooting is ruining the gameplay.
In the real-life modern NBA, the rule changes have destroyed defense so badly that a three-point shooter jumping INTO a defender is a foul.

On the defender.

But sure, it's 2K's fault.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #38
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Reading these posts, I question if some of you ever had a job before if you think you can just go against what corporate wants.
Exaaaactly...
Alot of folks would be "fighting the power"alright... from the couches of their own home without a job cause they would definitely be fired

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #39
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I thought the same thing. Don't get me wrong, people should be able to voice their opinion or expertise on the subject with their corporate heads and not be "yes" men. However, if my boss tells me "This is how we're going to do it, and we appreciate your input.", to me...that's the end of the conversation. I'm going to create the best product that I can while maintaining the company's goals and vision. You think I'm going to give up my good paying job for a small minority of people? Nope...not going to happen. ESPECIALLY if I love what I'm doing, and I enjoy working for the company.

And I'm talking from experience....
Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
In the real-life modern NBA, the rule changes have destroyed defense so badly that a three-point shooter jumping INTO a defender is a foul.

On the defender.

But sure, it's 2K's fault.
Are you seriously saying 2K has no fault in this arcade gameplay lol, and it's the NBA's fault basketball has become less "sim"? Bball is still bball.

I think Steph Curry has warped too many fan's and 2K's perspective on what real basketball actually looks like. The only thing that's basically changed is less physicality and more team's and more players are shooting more 3's. But you're not seeing godlike shooters or godlike range, sans Steph Curry, Damien Lilliard, Klay Thompson. Yet 2K has hard coded a game killing badge into the game (Limitless Range) off of ONE once-a-generation player.

Please stop defending this company when the gameplay and business model of the last few years hasn't warranted it.

Mike Wang is in charge of the gameplay, I'm guessing has MAJOR pull with 2K, and he'd rather poll Twitter on what he should do instead of just producing a balanced basketball game. And come off it with the "big wig funders" , etc. If 2K had ANY sense, they'd realize that their HARDCORE ballers, brand ambassadors, defenders of their sim gameplay and commitment to realism, are what helped pushed this game forward with their feedback and ideas. That still should be their base. Or they can continue catering to the casual crowd who have no idea or appreciation for realism vs arcade (they actually prefer arcade), and keep creating a basketball environment where up is down. But what happens from that? You'll get the actual hoopers play this game less and less, or be the passionate base behind it.

Here's what 2K can't put a price on: Respect & Credibility. If they lose 100% respect as a realistic representation of basketball (both in gameplay and company goals), that will have a negative trickle down effect, eventually affecting sales.

2K is basically going the NBA Live route. Full appeasement of casuals and forgetting their roots. Which makes this article by IGN even more ironic/laughable lmao.

Last edited by Keith01; 12-31-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »