Home

New shot contest update

This is a discussion on New shot contest update within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New shot contest update

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Haven't played yet but from what it seems, yes. Doesn't even look like you have to actually contest either. You can just stand near them like 2k18's trash contest system.
Naaa not for me tbh

Just played 3 games in park still dominating on offense all my shots were open.

We had easy job against stretch who was zigzagging tho.

Good patch finally.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth9012
Naaa not for me tbh

Just played 3 games in park still dominating on offense all my shots were open.

We had easy job against stretch who was zigzagging tho.

Good patch finally.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Well thats good to hear. Like I said I haven't played yet, so I still gotta see for myself. But with some vids i've seen, it seems like its reverting back to 2k18 type contest system.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
Rookie

MDSavageBeast's Arena

Has this patch hit XB1 yet?
Old 01-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I'm sure it's a blessing for those who play online.

Offline, who was already suffering from the last contest update, have to deal with this registering as heavily contested-

FB_IMG_1548529498430.jpg
Old 01-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Look like attempt to cure the symptom, but not the root of the problem.
The root problem is the effect of badges and takeover, neither make sense and are enablers of this mess. I can see this update even improving stretch bigs, because its much easier to get uncontested 3pt(esp. deep 3pt) shot than any closer shot because you work on wider space and its much harder for defense bring extra help defender. And it enables for stretch big to actually be better on defense now.
Unless its specifically about shot contest beyond the arc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I was just thinking about this whole contesting shot argument. The offense is using the most simplest method to put points on the board, but the defense is expected to be elite to defend it. How does that make sense?
Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

This game is so much more fun when you’re not at the mercy of some scrub bombing threes in your face with Hedo Turkoglu.

Great update!
Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #24
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Disclaimer:

I'm content playing this title for fun and I use the builds I pursue to have fun with not getting caught up in what the wave is. What I do value competitively is what the game can offer me in respect to a skill-gap based on how the gameplay mechanics proceed. Right now, it's just way too gimmicky to be taken seriously for competitive enjoyment or competitive reward.

The wave in 3v3 and 2v2 Park is guys with Drummond and Whiteside type builds paired up with Brook Lopez type Stretch Bigs and they are screening for Brook while the defensive guards scramble frantically to chase these "elusive" bigs

I'm not asking for the whole farm but I'd negotiate for a few changes that would at least deter this lineup from being part of the meta for top OP lineups. I'm simply asking for the Bigs to not have the tools to be so elusive. Allow the non-dribbling builds to be extremely vulnerable to forced and unforced dribble pickups by virtue of their virtual dribbling rating and lack of dribbling badges that distinguishes them as a non Playmaking threat. This alone transforms the gameplay and decision-making tenfold...

It's a clear problem in hierarchy and archetypal value when you can value a Stretch Big or Pure Sharp more than a Playmaking Guard for Playmaking. You've empowered the 7ft Stretch to setup for himself and his teammates with little resistance to encourage him to do otherwise let alone do less. Address the contributors to this and you'll clean up the environment tenfold...

Second to that is to balance the disparity between how easy it is to sink a 3 with someone right under your chin versus how hard it is to make an open or wide-open close shot with someone of the same or similar value in ratings and badges for close shots. How are we rewarding smothering coverage on 3 more than we are smothering coverage in the paint?

Coverage and Contest need to be distinguished. I'm not advocating for these phantom limb contests that count as light contests when no hand was raised.

Coverage is the space between you and your matchup. The more space: the more open you are considered. Yes, a defender anywhere within a foot of you should be considered but that *crab dribble from behind is welcomed.

Contest is the ability to disturb the shot with your hand. The closer to the shooter's window the more effective the contest. The contest isn't the be all end all for affective shots however. A defense hunkering down on you with no contest can at times be more oppressive and difficult to shoot over than s contest into your shooting window from a well-timed distance.

Some of those smothering and tightly covered defenses should be triggering an adjustment in the base delivery of the jumpshot - especially these smothered and tightly covered defenses that are accompanied by contests. In some instances a foul should even be drawn because of how tight you are in the shooter's space.

*The crab dribble is great for holding-off the contest but you still need to be considered to be taking a tightly covered shot or even smothered. Imo, the crab is there so you can delay the timing of the defender's contest but it doesn't suddenly void the defenders existence - the defender is still draped over you. You even here commentators describe this as smothering defense or trying to draw a shooting foul.

Sent from my S8_Pro using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »