Home

Stamina is a joke

This is a discussion on Stamina is a joke within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Rookie

BeerPoisoning's Arena

OVR: 0
Stamina is a joke

*** I rarely play offline so this more-so pertains to online play. I guess it could relate to either game mode but this isn’t about “progressive fatigue” or sitting star players for rest while holding a comfortable lead. What is it with 2K and stamina? LeBron, Curry, Durant, Giannis, Harden (all the big names) — All of these guys will play 40+ minutes in any given game without experiencing a skill drop. Why is this different in 2K?

Play Online Now. I can’t even begin to tell you how irritating it is every single game to figure the best time to rest the starters. If they sit out the 2nd quarter, they’re gassed in the 4th. Sitting out the 3rd quarter makes them fresh for the 4th but it’s also senseless because stamina recovery after halftime is a nice boost. Deciding to rest the starters for 1-2 minutes at the end of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seems like a brilliant idea but when you’re in a groove and somebody’s hot, you’re forced to choose between an idiotic coaching decision of benching a hot player or saving his energy for later.

Honestly stamina has always bugged me but I just lost a game for absolutely no reason - because of it. Allow me to whine and share my story...

Bucks vs Warriors (I’m Bucks)
Let’s skip straight to halftime, the score is tied. Neither of us have used any bench players. Start of the 3rd he has Steph and Klay on the floor, but the rest of the starters are benched including KD and Draymond. (He keeps this lineup the entire 3rd quarter) Now I’m in s decision pickle. This is prime eating for Giannis offensively with those 2 on the bench. But I know I’m risking his energy big time. I decide to send out my entire second unit but I keep Giannis on the floor. 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and I have a 7 point lead. I sub out Giannis and put in Middleton. The 3rd quarter ends with me holding a 3point lead. Start of the 4th, we both have our starters in. 4 1/2 minutes remaining and me still up 3, Giannis gets the Gatorade logo. Durant drives on him 3 straight possessions, now I’m down 3. Giannis can barely move. I’m literally forced to sub him out. A bunch of high-end role players is no match for the elite Warriors, I lose.

Now I know you’re all thinking that I was destined to lose because GS has more weapons so they can bench accordingly. That’s bull crap. Giannis averaged 43mpg in the playoffs last year. If he can only miss 2 minutes of a 45 minute game without being a zombie, there’s no reason why he can’t miss 3 minutes of a 24 minute game. It’s all unrealistic, unfair. I’m not saying that 2K should get rid of stamina or that you shouldn’t have to bench at all... 3 minutes is literally HALF of a 2K online quarter. Why isn’t that sufficient rest time? Star players barely rest that amount in close playoff games.

Opinions? What resting methods do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: Stamina is a joke

Definitely agree. The stamina regen doesn't really makes sense sometimes. I usually rest my starters after 3 mins of play though. The only way i'm keeping one in is if i'm down big and NEED them in. Also when I do keep a starter in, i'll always try to keep a guy in who has the tireless scorer badge so his performance is not affected as quick. So for example since I usually use OKC, that's either Wesbrook or PG i'm keeping in. Both have tireless scorer badges. I think Giannis has it too tbh(and I think its a gold badge)...you must have had him on the floor pretty long for him to get the gatorade logo. Also as a rule of thumb, I never let any of my players go under 75 energy. I'll bench them before they do.

Last edited by WarMMA; 02-16-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
Rookie

BeerPoisoning's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Definitely agree. The stamina regen doesn't really makes sense sometimes. I usually rest my starters after 3 mins of play though. The only way i'm keeping one in is if i'm down big and NEED them in. Also when I do keep a starter in, i'll always try to keep a guy in who has the tireless scorer badge so his performance is not affected as quick. So for example since I usually use OKC, that's either Wesbrook or PG i'm keeping in. Both have tireless scorer badges. I think Giannis has it too tbh(and I think its a gold badge)...you must have had him on the floor pretty long for him to get the gatorade logo. Also as a rule of thumb, I never let any of my players go under 75 energy. I'll bench them before they do.

There’s nothing wrong with your logic and your rule of thumb is a good one... But that’s also the issue. We shouldn’t be virtually forced into subbing after 3 minutes of play. There’s no flow.

I think it just mainly bothers me because of the fact that I’m a Bucks fan, I almost always use Milwaukee. The team is literally built around Giannis so creating offense without him on the floor is like pulling teeth. Great shooters but these guys don’t create their own and running a P&R with Lopez is total trash.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:12 AM   #4
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPoisoning
There’s nothing wrong with your logic and your rule of thumb is a good one... But that’s also the issue. We shouldn’t be virtually forced into subbing after 3 minutes of play. There’s no flow.

I think it just mainly bothers me because of the fact that I’m a Bucks fan, I almost always use Milwaukee. The team is literally built around Giannis so creating offense without him on the floor is like pulling teeth. Great shooters but these guys don’t create their own and running a P&R with Lopez is total trash.

Yh I agree with you. Some players should definitely be able to go longer like they do irl. I feel the regen should be a bit better after a few mins too. I use the Bucks from time to time too, so I know how it can be not having Giannis on the floor. But i'm really never in a position where Giannis is tired cuz of the way I play, like said in my above post. Definitely agree with what you're saying though. Sux having to choose between keeping a hot player on or benching them to save energy. In those situations though, i'll keep the hot player on if i'm down and just try to make something happen before he nears 75 energy lol. If i'm up i'll just bench him.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
MVP

jk31's Arena

i usually sub out 3 starters after 5 Minutes, then at the 3 min Mark i bring them back in and sub out the other 2. i will always keep 2 starters minimum on the floor. but in our online League we also changed stamina sliders to 55 and fatigue rate to 45.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Stamina needs to have better regen after a few mins for sure though. Some guys are getting tired much quicker than they do irl. And like Beer was saying, I really hate when a player gets hot closer to the end of a quarter and I have to sub him out cuz I wanna save energy. In fact as far as that goes, I have an idea about that. I think when a player gets hot, he should get a temporary energy boost (like an adrenaline rush) that would put his energy up by say plus 10-15. So for example, say the quarter is coming to an end, the players energy is in the 70's, you score and he becomes hot. With the temporary energy boost from getting hot, his energy would go from the 70's to the 80's. With something like that, you wouldn't have to bench a guy that's on fire once he has a decent amount of energy and you can put him to use. However it would only be temporary, so once he cool's down it would go back to whatever it was before he became hot.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Rookie

I always thought stamina was in the game to encourage people to actually use a rotation. When players become fatigued in real life, their skills DO drop in a way, don't they? They're less aggressive or their jumper becomes a little tired-looking.

Sorry but it kinda sounds like you should get more used to using players other than your stars. I've used Milwaukee online and had no issues when Giannis came out. I found their bench to be quite good actually, especially using Hill or DiVincenzo to initiate the offense. Try a freelance set with them.

I use the Spurs mostly and normally start White or Mills/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol and sometimes I'm garbage with the starters and the bench comes in and saves me lol.

Revamping how stamina and fatigue works is hardly what I'd be working on if I was trying to fix 2K for 2K20.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

you are right my friend! and it's became a sad one, when few patches ago the CPU almost stopped calling for TO... just finished a game vs CPU. the game was tight until the end and the first TO the CPU took was 1:32 remaining in the 3rd quarter, my players were just washed out. and yes, i'm using rotations
(Superstar, 10 mins per quarter)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »