Home

dribble handoffs, lead passes and defending the PnR

This is a discussion on dribble handoffs, lead passes and defending the PnR within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
dribble handoffs, lead passes and defending the PnR

I've been playing this game quite a bit lately and a few things are tripping me up. Please excuse me if this is all very elementary.

1. How do I properly execute a dribble handoff, where the player receiving the ball continues to curl around or past the handoffer? It always seems that the player wants to come to a stop or slow way down which completely defeats the purpose and is especially frustrating when the driving lane is there. The playbooks I've used have a ton of plays like this, and they usually wind up with my tow players standing close together.

related..

2. How do I properly throw a lead pass? It seems that my players always want to slam on the brakes when receiving a pass, especially on set plays. Player curls across the lane, or makes a cut, pass to them.....bam, slam on the brakes at the elbow as they receive the pass.

3. How do I force no switch. When my perimeter players are picked, especially by a big man, I want to go over or under and chase the ball handler. Unfortunately, on a regular basis, so does my big man, ending in far too many wide open dunks for the roll man. How do I approach and play pick-and-rolls properly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: dribble handoffs, lead passes and defending the PnR

1) Hold circle (PS4) and point the left stick at the player you want to come receive the handoff and let go of circle to make the pitch or handoff. Timing is key here, if you let go too soon there won't be a screening effect, too late and the defender will catch up. If you're running a handoff set play and want the receiver to continue curling towards the basket, hold triangle instead and point the left stick at the receiver to make him cut towards the basket.

2) Works the same way as Madden. Use the left stick to point which way you want to lead and the icon of the player you want to pass to. Only works with icon passing.

3) Go into defensive settings and change the setting for "stay attached" to yes and hedge to "catch hedge".
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

One thing to help on anticipating on the pick and roll defense is to turn on the voice prompt things. I can’t remember exactly where it is, but your teammates will let you know what to do, because sometimes chasing down the ball handler is not the right play for the defense. Switching is a little weird sometimes, but it simulates players talking on defense which is really good. It lets you know what your teammates are thinking.

- Rick Wise
Old 03-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngofny
1) Hold circle (PS4) and point the left stick at the player you want to come receive the handoff and let go of circle to make the pitch or handoff. Timing is key here, if you let go too soon there won't be a screening effect, too late and the defender will catch up. If you're running a handoff set play and want the receiver to continue curling towards the basket, hold triangle instead and point the left stick at the receiver to make him cut towards the basket.

2) Works the same way as Madden. Use the left stick to point which way you want to lead and the icon of the player you want to pass to. Only works with icon passing.

3) Go into defensive settings and change the setting for "stay attached" to yes and hedge to "catch hedge".
Just to add to the hand off. You also want to look at where the white circle is underneath the players. That also tells you who will start the action.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
One thing to help on anticipating on the pick and roll defense is to turn on the voice prompt things. I can’t remember exactly where it is, but your teammates will let you know what to do, because sometimes chasing down the ball handler is not the right play for the defense. Switching is a little weird sometimes, but it simulates players talking on defense which is really good. It lets you know what your teammates are thinking.
It's funny, I use it when playing by myself. But when friends are over. They think it's cheating
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
It's funny, I use it when playing by myself. But when friends are over. They think it's cheating
Why you over there cheatin ya boys jeebs? lol

It is cheating but then its not. its very realistic. Can you hear your teammates talking in real life on the court? YEP. You can also hear the defense talking. This aint madden where you can see my play call.

now the question is, was 2k devs smart enough or did they go far enough to make sure that the higher Defensive IQ guys say the correct things more often than not and the reverse is true for the lower defensive iq guys?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
Why you over there cheatin ya boys jeebs? lol

It is cheating but then its not. its very realistic. Can you hear your teammates talking in real life on the court? YEP. You can also hear the defense talking. This aint madden where you can see my play call.

now the question is, was 2k devs smart enough or did they go far enough to make sure that the higher Defensive IQ guys say the correct things more often than not and the reverse is true for the lower defensive iq guys?
They say what they’re doing. So if the defender calls “switch”, that call for a switch is what the CPU is doing. The rating is already packaged in. It is not connected to the rating directly but implicitly.

And yeah lol, no cheating, just communicating with your teammates. Just tell them it’s more realism.

- Rick Wise
Old 03-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
1. How do I properly execute a dribble handoff, where the player receiving the ball continues to curl around or past the handoffer? It always seems that the player wants to come to a stop or slow way down which completely defeats the purpose and is especially frustrating when the driving lane is there. The playbooks I've used have a ton of plays like this, and they usually wind up with my tow players standing close together.

related..

2. How do I properly throw a lead pass? It seems that my players always want to slam on the brakes when receiving a pass, especially on set plays. Player curls across the lane, or makes a cut, pass to them.....bam, slam on the brakes at the elbow as they receive the pass.

3. How do I force no switch. When my perimeter players are picked, especially by a big man, I want to go over or under and chase the ball handler. Unfortunately, on a regular basis, so does my big man, ending in far too many wide open dunks for the roll man. How do I approach and play pick-and-rolls properly?

1. You have to really time the handoff right with the Circle/B button to get a clean DHO. There are also a LOT of set plays in the game where the AI takes poor angles to the ball handler which makes it difficult to get a smooth handoff. The AI can't execute many of those plays well.

2. Hold Triangle/Y with the stick pointed towards the basket. The players usually still pause on the catch unless they are immediately branched into the layup/dunk/shot animation. Timing the pass so they don't have to dribble afterwards is important.

3. Stay Attached set to Yes. On-Ball Screen set to Go Over or Go Under. Hedge set to Catch Hedge or No Hedge.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »