Home

Since when is "Rondo ball" good basketball strategy?

This is a discussion on Since when is "Rondo ball" good basketball strategy? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Since when is "Rondo ball" good basketball strategy?

Why is it these supposed "comp" teams or wannabes always have ONE guy (PG) dribble around and around, around screens, set up wrap arounds, 5out ball etc etc ?? Everyone trying to be "Dimez". You ever see the irl Warriors play? Everyone touches the ball. You're not building chemistry with your team if the PG has 90% usage rate. Also it's not putting much pressure on the other defenders.

Why do they do it? 'Cause they're all copycats. They don't actually know any other way to play apparently. It's "Play 2K" not "Play Basketball". They're just trying to sync up HOF dimer with HOF limitless etc. But in the process, bad offensive flow, predictable O, and less team chemistry. People should realize there's other basketball strategy (see GSW) than "PG dribbles around for 20 sec trying to get 30 assists".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #2
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Since when is "Rondo ball" good basketball strategy?

People do it because it's the most effective strategy and its super simple. Trying to pass around the ball or run a real offense this year in 2k19 is a sure way to get a turnover fest.
This game just isn't sophisticated in Pro Am/Park.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:36 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Passing lane steals are easier to get in 2K19 than they've ever been in any previous version of Pro Am.

Pass animations in 2K19 have a bad habit of pulling your intended target out of his spot up position and randomly carrying him into defenders.

Shooting off the catch is super buggy in 2K19, often giving your jump shot a different timing window than what you'd normally get if you just came down and shot off the dribble.

And if you ever touch your right joystick while a competent lockdown defender is guarding you, it will be an easy steal for the LDD if their timing is good.

Those are some of the main reasons why people prefer to use shooting PGs this year instead of passing PGs or dribbling PGs.

All that, plus the fact that 2K19 foolishly decided to let people green 100% of their shots once their shooting rating reaches an 86 or higher.

Last edited by jyoung; 12-25-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Banned

I kinda get why, but still I've been on teams who can run a motion offense similar to the Warriors and limit TO's and not play Rondo ball and be successful. You have to be a lot more in sync, but that's why it's better -- you improve your team chemistry with more players touching the ball.

Maybe that's the point is that it's "super simple" to run, and guys become scared to do anything else. Just don't tell me these players are the "best of the best" or "comp". Good players to me means you can run any type of offense and be successful. Copycats and Rondo ball addicts play so predictable with their screens & wrap arounds that it becomes easy to beat with the right 5. I've been on both sides of it, and it's boring to play against or be apart of.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
MVP

ph33's Arena

It's really bad. And when you play with these copycats that have no IQ you can tell they don't know how to play any other way because their habits are pretty much on autopilot.

There are so many people out there who hold the ball for 15+ seconds on the shot clock. It's mesmerizing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Actually ran with a squad last night in the rec for the first time in months. We've all known each other for years, so since we haven't played this year much we had some hiccups but we went on a 5game winning streak. Basically, i was at the 2 all night as my shot creating slasher. We had a stretch and a post scorer down low with a shot creator at the 3 and the PG was a shot creating playmaker with HOF dimer.

When i say "hiccups" i mean we got off sluggish to a few teams and won one game from behind by 3. Lol the first couple games were good games, but we definitely could have played better. The stretch wasn't hitting his open looks as his badges aren't maxed yet but i was consistently getting 18-20 points off the break.

Once the stretch got hot for a few games we couldn't be touched. I started getting more touches as well because we were putting so much pressure on them in transition. They couldn't make mistakes in offense. And then in a half court set, we either fed the post scorer or hit the stretch.

There are other ways to win than 5 out. A couple of teams we faced were "comp" teams. A lot were scrubs.

Chemistry is the number one thing.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:27 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Actually ran with a squad last night in the rec for the first time in months. We've all known each other for years, so since we haven't played this year much we had some hiccups but we went on a 5game winning streak. Basically, i was at the 2 all night as my shot creating slasher. We had a stretch and a post scorer down low with a shot creator at the 3 and the PG was a shot creating playmaker with HOF dimer.

When i say "hiccups" i mean we got off sluggish to a few teams and won one game from behind by 3. Lol the first couple games were good games, but we definitely could have played better. The stretch wasn't hitting his open looks as his badges aren't maxed yet but i was consistently getting 18-20 points off the break.

Once the stretch got hot for a few games we couldn't be touched. I started getting more touches as well because we were putting so much pressure on them in transition. They couldn't make mistakes in offense. And then in a half court set, we either fed the post scorer or hit the stretch.

There are other ways to win than 5 out. A couple of teams we faced were "comp" teams. A lot were scrubs.

Chemistry is the number one thing.

Running a full 5 Squad in rec and calling other people scrubs. That’s rich.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
It's really bad. And when you play with these copycats that have no IQ you can tell they don't know how to play any other way because their habits are pretty much on autopilot.

There are so many people out there who hold the ball for 15+ seconds on the shot clock. It's mesmerizing.
Lol exactly. Zero creativity. To me it tells me they are gamers not ballers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »