Home

How to defend

This is a discussion on How to defend within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Rookie

LeanderRednael's Arena

OVR: 0
How to defend

How do you defend in this game? I suck at defense. Sometimes I have a couple of good minutes but then the CPU adjusts and comes up with something better. If I shoot ok, the CPU shoots well. If I shoot well, the CPU shoots even better.

I don't want to decrease shooting sliders to a point I am finally able to win because this would get me too many rebounds...

So...how do you defend? I use ACE and everything is set to auto. Is ACE broken? I found some Popboy strategies but when I use it, I do see an improvement but the result is also worse at the same time so the bottom line is unaffected.

Do you play man vs. man? And also switch to the on-ball defender? The CPU brings the ball so you select your PG...then it passes to the SF and you switch to the SF? I can guard the CPU in man vs. man but then it passes to someone who has run to an open spot but my CPU-controlled defender did not react...so the player is open.
Sometimes I only control the best shot blocker and wait in the paint (of course close to defensive assignment)...sometimes it works but again the CPU-controlled other defenders are too slow and don't guard well...resulting in a 3PT shot.

I cannot be everywhere on the court and do everything. Sometimes just raising my arms and let my CPU defenders steal or block the ball works better...because manually selcting, moving, jumping etc. takes longer. I do get blocks and steals but the CPU reacts to it, adjusts...and does something I cannot defend...I tried decreasing the pass speed and what not.

The best results is to control every position for just some seconds...by selecting the player next to the ball handler..****nning into position...then switch to the player next to the attacker the CPU might pass to...constantly switching players every few seconds and moving them around a bit...as if I control the active defender for too long, the CPU passes to someone who has freed himself from the defender as the CPU-controlled defenders are slow and lazy...I think I control the player assigned to the ball handler but already press icon passing and have the icons visible...then switch to someone the CPU might pass near next.

I use sliders with hands and on-ball defense very low...should I change it?

Which sliders should I change so I will win?

Lower the CPU's offensive awareness?
Increase hands? Increase on-ball defense?
Not use ACE?
Change contest shot sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Pro

Iasounis's Arena

Re: How to defend

See if Czar has a video on YouTube. He works with 2k now, but gave some great (actually common sense) tips a few years ago that still apply.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Rookie

LeanderRednael's Arena

Thanks! After losing a ton of games (always by 10-15 points, 4x6 minutes) I finally won a game, 4x12 minutes. I enabled "who to guard" and everything was easier because I was able to focus better.
In addition, I shot well and Harden (CPU) had a bad day...oh, and I disabled ACE and used custom settings.

PS I also watched a video by Czar after the game...now I know how to contest shots. LOL I used to raise my hands only...without left stick up + jump or flicking the right stick up and releasing it again.

Last edited by LeanderRednael; 04-05-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Great to hear. I miss the angles on defense. They used to make one function of the right stick angle your player like the good defenders do.

- Rick Wise
Old 04-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Rookie

LeanderRednael's Arena

Now I think again that the game is broken. Am I the only one that gets different results with 6 minute quarters? I don't know if it is only minutes or also being some games in a season...some games are normal but then I get games where the CPU only run and guns and scores in the paint...the Spurs just dropped 54 on me in ONE quarter....shooting 70%. I played like in my win...but it felt so off. Either My League is broken or it is because of 6 minute quarters.

In my current My League season I got 1 win and a close loss with 12 minute quarters but had awful games with 6 minute quarters...the CPU seems to play differently with less minutes...they rush shots..****n and gun...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasounis
See if Czar has a video on YouTube. He works with 2k now, but gave some great (actually common sense) tips a few years ago that still apply.
I swear that Czar guy struggles just to go through the menu's sometimes, he has some good tips because he helps make the game, so obviously he knows the in's and out's, but there's some other guys out there that can break down defense better.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
Pro

Iasounis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
I swear that Czar guy struggles just to go through the menu's sometimes, he has some good tips because he helps make the game, so obviously he knows the in's and out's, but there's some other guys out there that can break down defense better.
I'm sure that there are. Just remembered Czar's video was one of the first that gave me 'the basics'. I've searched and watched others. YouTube is a good source.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm guarding whoever has the ball, been doing it for years, playing on-ball defense. . . I switched-up the way I contest shots soon after Czar posted that contest shot video, it helps alot. I'm able to switch on defense whenever I want so why not, it's the best defense you can play instead of depending on the CPU to do it for you. . .

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »