Home

Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting?

This is a discussion on Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #73
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Unfortunately, you’re probably correct.
Not verbatim, but Mike Wang said something to the effect that green releases were his biggest mistake for one reason that they’ll be so hard to get rid of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Mike Wang is pretty much on record for admitting that mistake. For the record, who would have thought a visual shooting aid would become the most popular feature ever in a basketball game? Especially considering that people were migrating to the MyPlayer mode where they only have to remember ONE shooting form. You would think the PNO, My League/MyGM, MyTeam (maybe), and Offline players would be the one to put up the biggest "fight", because we have to know so many shot releases for so many players. Nope....
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #74
Rookie

MakePostGreatAgain's Arena

I sincerely think all gripes listed here in this thread may be grossly fitted to one origin:

The shooting system is a "one size fits all". I dare not say anymore since such gross statements can never be proven.

but midrange and post shots be damned, maybe even layupd
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #75
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakePostGreatAgain
I also wish 2k would meet big men in the middle as well. Only two hook shot animation sets are completely bug free, while every jump shooter gets a large number of working releases to choose from (also get to use the jumpshot blender tool...).
Your right, they got all these animations for dunking, driving layups and of course endless amounts for jumpshooting, but hook shots and alot of post animations are stripped down from what they use to be in the series. Along with the post and inside game not being nearly effective as it use to be, now the animation selection is going down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #76
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Mike Wang is pretty much on record for admitting that mistake. For the record, who would have thought a visual shooting aid would become the most popular feature ever in a basketball game? Especially considering that people were migrating to the MyPlayer mode where they only have to remember ONE shooting form. You would think the PNO, My League/MyGM, MyTeam (maybe), and Offline players would be the one to put up the biggest "fight", because we have to know so many shot releases for so many players. Nope....
All Mike Wang gotta do is adjust the sliders to make shooting harder in next years game. Go back to 2k16 greens where they're not 100% makes. He sold majority of the community a dream claiming 2k19 was going to have a skill gap and how shooting was going to be much harder. This years shooting is just as easy if not easier than previous years. This game in general is much easier with how broken Takeover is, the contested shot system etc.

They also need to be active in nerfing jumpshot bases just like they did in NBA 2k17. It's unacceptable for Set Shot 13 to still be as good as it is. They let the community get away with A LOT this year. They need to do better moving forward.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
All Mike Wang gotta do is adjust the sliders to make shooting harder in next years game. Go back to 2k16 greens where they're not 100% makes. He sold majority of the community a dream claiming 2k19 was going to have a skill gap and how shooting was going to be much harder. This years shooting is just as easy if not easier than previous years. This game in general is much easier with how broken Takeover is, the contested shot system etc.

They also need to be active in nerfing jumpshot bases just like they did in NBA 2k17. It's unacceptable for Set Shot 13 to still be as good as it is. They let the community get away with A LOT this year. They need to do better moving forward.
played a lock who went 8/9 from 3 last night using that base lol. As for the takeover many knew where that was heading especially when he said it can take your ratings over 100.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #78
Rookie

2K really ought to try and balance their shooting and dribbling animations so there aren’t always a few that are OP and used by everybody and their momma. There are so many unnatural looking dribble animations that are way too fast.

I am curious as to where that C was shooting from though. I can imagine someone leaving him wide open over and over again in the corner or something and being like “How does he keep making it??” IRL I’m the most inconsistent shooter I know but even I can randomly make several shots in a row even when contested before I go back to my Draymond Green ish lol.

As others have said I think the REAL problem is that everyone with a 3-point rating of like 70+ can shoot 60-80% from 3.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #79
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted

People are not going to go for the "Green =/= 100%". You're better off taking the meter out completely, so people don't even have to worry about it.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #80
Pro

Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
People are not going to go for the "Green =/= 100%". You're better off taking the meter out completely, so people don't even have to worry about it.

This is a very true statement.
If they have a green release they are unable to understand how that isn’t a guaranteed make.
I made this argument before 2k19 released...
There should be no shot meter, no badges, no takeover, no boosts, nothing artificial that isn’t actually in the game of basketball.
If you “boost” in the NBA you get fined and suspended. However, since it’s a money machine for 2k, instead of removing them they make them more necessary.
Badges are not needed since we already have ratings. There’s nothing that they can do with badges that they can not accomplish with ratings.
If you argue that the shot meter or any of the other above listed items are needed, then you probably are not as good as you think you are.
These are all crutches to help people that aren’t good, be better.
Don’t claim a skills gap when you add in features to level the playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by awg811; 04-16-2019 at 08:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »