Home

Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting?

This is a discussion on Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #49
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does ratings even matter when it comes to shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBalla21
He was left open, and he made the shots.

You can play gap on mediocre shooters, you just have to closeout against a player that knows release timing. A late closeout is good enough to keep them in check.

This is how the developers made the game and no patch is going to change it. At a certain point you just have to accept the way the game is and adjust to it. You're going to drive yourself up the wall wanting the game to be something its not.
Yh but that's the problem right there. They give us the 100% green releases and now all of a sudden knowing release timing is way more of a thing than it was in the past. Shooting was a lot more realistic when greens weren't a thing. Now you can't leave a mediocre shooter open if a player knows timing, cuz now they can hit shots at 100% and possibly go 4/5 with Giannis for example smh. I get what you're saying, but what i'm trying to say is that the game needs to eventually change from that. Nothing should be 100% make chance with shooting. All that does is make shooting more about mastering releases and less about actual ratings and make percentages.

Last edited by WarMMA; 04-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #50
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Nothing should be 100% make chance with shooting. All that does is make shooting more about mastering releases and less about actual ratings and make percentages.
Long story short....no one is scared to shoot the 3 ball in Park and JRC. In PNO, no one is scared to shoot with any player with a rating above 60. I'm guilty of that mentality too. I'll shoot with one those generic players from the All-Time/Classic teams and not think twice about it.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 04-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 10

Went back down nostalgia lane: 2k11 and 14. It's amazing how scientific of a game 11 was. 14 has a better feel but I'd probably prefer 11 with later controls (l2 r2 to post or triangle toggle still mad weird.)

No jump shot meter, no greens. I'm bricking all kinds of shots haha. I'm trading dudes who can't space the floor. I miss that. Of course cpu is deadly esp after halftime but the gamble feeling of shooting. I miss that. I mean I'll go 5-30 no problem. I'm gonna take the shots but it's funny when it's like CMON SON YOU'RE WIDE OPEN AND THAT'S THE THIRD ONE IN A ROW YOU MISSED. YOU'RE THROWING THE GAME. Then you call a time out and tell him to start packing his bags.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #52
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Went back down nostalgia lane: 2k11 and 14. It's amazing how scientific of a game 11 was. 14 has a better feel but I'd probably prefer 11 with later controls (l2 r2 to post or triangle toggle still mad weird.)

No jump shot meter, no greens. I'm bricking all kinds of shots haha. I'm trading dudes who can't space the floor. I miss that. Of course cpu is deadly esp after halftime but the gamble feeling of shooting. I miss that. I mean I'll go 5-30 no problem. I'm gonna take the shots but it's funny when it's like CMON SON YOU'RE WIDE OPEN AND THAT'S THE THIRD ONE IN A ROW YOU MISSED. YOU'RE THROWING THE GAME. Then you call a time out and tell him to start packing his bags.

-Smak
Sometimes I wish I had a XB360, so I can play NBA 2K11 a few times just to see if it was as good as I remembered it. Back then, you had to know your team to be successful in H2H matches, but it was before the rise in popularity of YouTube where everyone and their mama nowadays search for game exploit videos.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 04-12-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #53
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak

-Smak
There have been Green Releases in 2k11, but back then it didnt mean you make the shot 100%, much more you Hit the shot with the highest percentage possible according to your rating.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #54
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
There have been Green Releases in 2k11, but back then it didnt mean you make the shot 100%, much more you Hit the shot with the highest percentage possible according to your rating.
I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that the shot meter was introduced in NBA 2K12, because people were whining that it was "too hard" shoot and players shouldn't have practice then memorize all of the players' individual shot animations in NBA 2K11.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #55
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

There wasn't a legit shot meter, your shot feedback just lit green if I recall correctly. But back then it was more realistic. Like jk31 said, it didn't mean a 100% make chance like now. Just meant you got the highest percentage chance of the shot falling. That's what 2k needs to go back to. Just have good, early and late releases. And then the green releases should just add bonus make percentage to your shot, but not make it 100%.

Last edited by WarMMA; 04-12-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #56
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that the shot meter was introduced in NBA 2K12, because people were whining that it was "too hard" shoot and players shouldn't have practice then memorize all of the players' individual shot animations in NBA 2K11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
There wasn't a legit shot meter, your shot feedback just lit green if I recall correctly. But back then it was more realistic. Like jk31 said, it didn't mean a 100% make chance like now. Just meant you got the highest percentage chance of the shot falling. That's what 2k needs to go back to. Just have good, early and late releases. And then the green releases should just add bonus make percentage to your shot, but not make it 100%.
WHat are you guys talking about...? The shot meter wasn't brought in until 2k15 I think. That's why 2k11 and 2k12 are looked at highly by old school people like us. But those games have so many other problems. I can't in good heart look the other way. 2k19 is 200 times better. The only thing you can get back then was shot feedback.

But the best thing is that you can turn it off. Just watch the ball hit short (means you were late) and if it's long (you were too early)

Last edited by jeebs9; 04-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »