Home

Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

This is a discussion on Should bigs only get certain jumpshots? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murrayís Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Rookie
 
Dlee3's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2015
Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

If you are a online player, I'm sure you already noticed that 7 foot non/shooting and shooting bigs have these unrealistic quick/highjumping jumpshots. I can't recalled a shooter big to have a remotely close jump shot to the jump shot we are seeing online in NBA history. I believe its breaks the game.

If Bigs only have access to jump shot bases that resemble Joel Embiid, Dirk, Robert Horry, and etc. This would lead toward a realistic play style
Dlee3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2009
Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

Itís not really the the speed or jump height of the shots that are the problem. Itís that 2k doesnít balance their jumpshots evenly.
Some bases have bigger green release windows and are easier to time. Thatís the reason that almost everyone uses the same bases.
Itís 2kís fault!
Regardless of what jumpshot is used, the attributes of the player using them should be the determining factor in the success rate, not bases itself.
Again, this is 2kís fault for making certain bases unequal to others.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
awg811 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Mar 2009
Re: Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Itís not really the the speed or jump height of the shots that are the problem. Itís that 2k doesnít balance their jumpshots evenly.
Some bases have bigger green release windows and are easier to time. Thatís the reason that almost everyone uses the same bases.
Itís 2kís fault!
Regardless of what jumpshot is used, the attributes of the player using them should be the determining factor in the success rate, not bases itself.
Again, this is 2kís fault for making certain bases unequal to others.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports


You are not wrong about any of that, but I agree with the OP that it looks weird seeing bigs with small guard shooting packages. Thereís a reason that bigs donít get very high off the ground when they shoot, so it does look weird. If the jump shots were all balanced in terms of green window and such, it would still look weird.

How would you balance the releases anyways? Iíve thought about it but havenít come to a solid conclusion on how to do it. You canít just make all green windows the same size, because the release windows in general arenít the same size, as faster shots have smaller windows in total. If all green windows are the same size, then faster releases would have proportionately larger green windows. If the size of the green window scales with the total window size, then long releases would have the advantage with larger green windows.

Now if greens werenít automatic, there wouldnít be a balance problem....
Krucialist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2009
Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krucialist
You are not wrong about any of that, but I agree with the OP that it looks weird seeing bigs with small guard shooting packages. Thereís a reason that bigs donít get very high off the ground when they shoot, so it does look weird. If the jump shots were all balanced in terms of green window and such, it would still look weird.

How would you balance the releases anyways? Iíve thought about it but havenít come to a solid conclusion on how to do it. You canít just make all green windows the same size, because the release windows in general arenít the same size, as faster shots have smaller windows in total. If all green windows are the same size, then faster releases would have proportionately larger green windows. If the size of the green window scales with the total window size, then long releases would have the advantage with larger green windows.

Now if greens werenít automatic, there wouldnít be a balance problem....


I donít disagree with you or the OP either. However, Kevin Durant is 7í0Ē, would his jumpshot be for a big or a small? What package would a 6í10 shooter use? Would 6í10Ē shooter get different packages than a 6í10Ē post scorer? What is the cutoff point?
Green releases do seem to be the biggest reason for the problem, however, if all green windows were the same default size (very small) and scaled larger depending on attributes, that could help solve the issue.
Example, if a pure lock tried to use a fast release jumpshot their window would be extremely small due to that fact that their shot rating is so low, it would be difficult to hit the window. If a pure sharp used that same base, their green window would be much bigger because their shot rating would increase that green window.
If that makes sense, it could solve the issue of having non-shooters using quick release jumpshots and force them to use slower release shots. I donít really know what could solve the height of the jumpshot though.
The most used jumpshot, at least that I see, is LaMarcus Aldridge. Itís a fast base and Aldridge is a big, so saying the big men donít have high jumping fast release jumpshots seems to be incorrect in the first place.
Again pointing to the idea that itís a green release window balancing issue that 2k doesnít seem concerned to address.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by awg811; 05-10-2019 at 04:07 PM.
awg811 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 38
Join Date: Dec 2006
Blog Entries: 49
Re: Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

The "Aldridge" shooting form that's been overpowered in 2K for several years now bears little resemblance to how LA shoots the ball in real life. It should have been deleted from 2K's jump shot archive years ago.

The SF, PF, and C positions shouldn't have access to any jumpshots faster than 500 ms.

The Aldridge base is 450 ms and lets your character jump super high in the air, which is what makes it so cheesy.

Durant's jumpshot is 535 ms, for comparison.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.
jyoung is online now  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Rookie
 
Dlee3's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2015
Re: Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The "Aldridge" shooting form that's been overpowered in 2K for several years now bears little resemblance to how LA shoots the ball in real life. It should have been deleted from 2K's jump shot archive years ago.

The SF, PF, and C positions shouldn't have access to any jumpshots faster than 500 ms.

The Aldridge base is 450 ms and lets your character jump super high in the air, which is what makes it so cheesy.

Durant's jumpshot is 535 ms, for comparison.
Yeah LA shot definitely have to get reworked!

If they do only allow "500ms" or slower shots for those positions that would def be in the right direction toward sim play style.
I don't think 2k will be able standardize green releases for every jump shots, there are too many variable. UNLESS they are able to patch the jumpshots daily
Dlee3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2019
Re: Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

"Green" releases have ruined the perception of realistic shooting. Players should only be rewarded with shot feedback based on attributes, the selection of shot and the timing of release. All of that still shouldn't automate success (100%), but increase the likelihood of it. You shouldn't know a shot is going in before it actually does lol.

Green releases should only correlate to excellent timing, but never automate a bucket.

Back to the topic. If developers want this game to resemble anything derative of real life basketball then YES, bigs should only receive a limit of bases.

Physically speaking--bigger, heavy set players usually don't put more legs into their shot, because of their overall size & strength in proportion to the size of the ball & the distance from the hoop.

If green releases are here to stay, 2K will somehow have to make the window of timing the same for all forms...

Which would be impossible (as previous poster has just said) now that we can create jump shots w/"faster, normal, or slower" releases. It really wouldn't matter what bases you have because of that element alone. There's too many factors when it comes to the success of shooting in 2K, though.

Durant is an exception. There aren't many players who are 6'11", 230-235 lbs., but extremely agile, yet deceptively strong, and can't palm a basketball (the size of your hands matter a lot when shooting, which a lot of people forget and something 2K obviously doesn't consider. But that's besides the point lol).

Last edited by SlimFast_GymRat; 05-12-2019 at 04:22 AM.
SlimFast_GymRat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Should bigs only get certain jumpshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimFast_GymRat
"Green" releases have ruined the perception of realistic shooting. Players should only be rewarded with shot feedback based on attributes, the selection of shot and the timing of release. All of that still shouldn't automate success (100%), but increase the likelihood of it. You shouldn't know a shot is going in before it actually does lol.

Green releases should only correlate to excellent timing, but never automate a bucket.

Back to the topic. If developers want this game to resemble anything derative of real life basketball then YES, bigs should only receive a limit of bases.

Physically speaking--bigger, heavy set players usually don't put more legs into their shot, because of their overall size & strength in proportion to the size of the ball & the distance from the hoop.

If green releases are here to stay, 2K will somehow have to make the window of timing the same for all forms...

Which would be impossible (as previous poster has just said) now that we can create jump shots w/"faster, normal, or slower" releases. It really wouldn't matter what bases you have because of that element alone. There's too many factors when it comes to the success of shooting in 2K, though.

Durant is an exception. There aren't many players who are 6'11", 230-235 lbs., but extremely agile, yet deceptively strong, and can't palm a basketball (the size of your hands matter a lot when shooting, which a lot of people forget and something 2K obviously doesn't consider. But that's besides the point lol).
The green window itself should be the same millisecond length wise across the board though. Whether it hits at 550-555ms or 410-415ms, they should all be very very short windows. We have by far too many green releases in the game to where it's at the point that sharpshooters that are open do nothing but hit greens it feels like.
__________________
PSN: ODB_BZA
SG 6í8Ē Post Scoring Shot Creator
Chemthethriller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Top -