Home

Will NBA 2K20 fix defensive sliding?

This is a discussion on Will NBA 2K20 fix defensive sliding? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Will NBA 2K20 fix defensive sliding?

Next gen sports games usually need 2-3 years to get the cobwebs out before you really get a solid game. The sliding issue should be fixed here and now since weve had plenty of ps4 versions of this game

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

The only way to play secure on ball defense in this game is by using someone like Tony Allen or Kawhi.

Everything just feels so loose on defense its not even worth trying. They don't even bother to put #1 Sim on their game anymore lmao

Sent from my SM-A205G using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
Banned

In my opinion, i think the defense is fine. I use a PG and always harass the crap out of the ball handler like pat bev. Its really all about learning the controls and utilizing them correctly. Some instances you are using hands up, some instances you are using turbo and some instances you are using the L2 as a strafe left or right move.

I think alot of people just dont understand how defense works in this game. You mainly need to make contact with the ballhandler to keep him in check. If you arent making any kind of contact, the ballhandler will just turbo right by you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyNscratchy
In my opinion, i think the defense is fine. I use a PG and always harass the crap out of the ball handler like pat bev. Its really all about learning the controls and utilizing them correctly. Some instances you are using hands up, some instances you are using turbo and some instances you are using the L2 as a strafe left or right move.

I think alot of people just dont understand how defense works in this game. You mainly need to make contact with the ballhandler to keep him in check. If you arent making any kind of contact, the ballhandler will just turbo right by you.
Nope.

There is tons of evidence out there from experienced players showing how a good defensive response will go to hell at the very last second because they got caugt up in a canned animation. Jumping at fakes or reaching fouls without touching anything.

Sent from my SM-A205G using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
Rookie

m29a's Arena

If you're talking online, it's worth considering the latency alone working against you as a defender and not knowing which direction the opponent is going to go. You'll always be at a disadvantage.

Offline though, in my experience it's rather easy to play defense especially this year with how generous and overly physical the body-ups are. It allows worse defenders to play well beyond what they should.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
If you're talking online, it's worth considering the latency alone working against you as a defender and not knowing which direction the opponent is going to go. You'll always be at a disadvantage.

Offline though, in my experience, it's rather easy to play defense especially this year with how generous and overly physical the body-ups are. It allows worse defenders to play well beyond what they should.
Why is it that I can play NBA Live on-ball defense, online, correctly read the offensive player, and react accordingly? Even NBA Live 18 had much better on-ball defense.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
Why is it that I can play NBA Live on-ball defense, online, correctly read the offensive player, and react accordingly? Even NBA Live 18 had much better on-ball defense.
Because holding LT in NBA Live essentially attaches you to the offensive player...there isnt really anything to read and react to besides the steal indicator that pops up...

This is why there arent a lot of organic blow by's in the game unless your playing a human who's completely out of position. Theres the "drive past you" animation or the defender stumble...

I feel like theres a trade off...I dont want to be attached to the offensive player and locked into playing animation chess, but I also dont want to slide around when trying to defend one on one...I think 2K16 was really good at this balance...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #16
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
No game does on ball defense realistically live or 2k, live slows down the offensive player first step ability so that defense can adjust in time and uses larger forcefield to simulate player bodies, so either you want the game to adjust for user shortcoming which takes away some of your control or you want full control and you have to account for various issues including lag, and not just from servers but from our own display devices which people seem to ignore.

Last edited by coolcras7; 07-28-2019 at 10:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »