Home

Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

This is a discussion on Random...NBA 2K19 Sales within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
Rookie

Vic_Clancy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

Honestly, there's two types of "microtransactions" in my book, ones that give you an advantage and ones that do not. I say that to say, I don't care what price 2K charges for shoes or a du-rag. If they wanted to lock them behind a pay wall that can be only accessed with real money, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

The actual relevant question is what is the "real" cost to be able to play the game as intended. To me, 2K19 was farrrrr ahead of 2K18, but still not in the ideal spot. Speaking from the perspective of a primarily "mycareer" player, the game is very fair with VC after about an 85 overall. Your game checks, with endorsements, and other ways to earn VC provide with more than enough money to buy upgrades, animations, clothes, and whatever else you desire (except for the very high-end clothes).

The issue is that the VC costs to make a new player "playable," which to me is at about an 80 overall, is VERY steep. I don't have my game in front of me, but I think it takes about 125K, depending on your build. Without paying for VC, I think it would take 75+ hours of playing (notably, with a bad player) to reach that point. 2K tried to address this, somewhat, by giving rebirths at 94, but to me that overall was too steep. If 2K lowered the climb from 60 to 80 (or started us off at a higher overall) it would address alot of my concerns.

TL;DR: 2K19 > 2K18 when it comes to microtransactions; however, it stil requires wayy too much time/VC to upgrade your myplayer. I don't care if they charge 1,000,000 VC for a pair Curry 2s.
MLB: Nationals
Europe: Barcelona
MLS: DC United
College: Look at my avatar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #26
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Clancy
Honestly, there's two types of "microtransactions" in my book, ones that give you an advantage and ones that do not. I say that to say, I don't care what price 2K charges for shoes or a du-rag. If they wanted to lock them behind a pay wall that can be only accessed with real money, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

The actual relevant question is what is the "real" cost to be able to play the game as intended. To me, 2K19 was farrrrr ahead of 2K18, but still not in the ideal spot. Speaking from the perspective of a primarily "mycareer" player, the game is very fair with VC after about an 85 overall. Your game checks, with endorsements, and other ways to earn VC provide with more than enough money to buy upgrades, animations, clothes, and whatever else you desire (except for the very high-end clothes).

The issue is that the VC costs to make a new player "playable," which to me is at about an 80 overall, is VERY steep. I don't have my game in front of me, but I think it takes about 125K, depending on your build. Without paying for VC, I think it would take 75+ hours of playing (notably, with a bad player) to reach that point. 2K tried to address this, somewhat, by giving rebirths at 94, but to me that overall was too steep. If 2K lowered the climb from 60 to 80 (or started us off at a higher overall) it would address alot of my concerns.

TL;DR: 2K19 > 2K18 when it comes to microtransactions; however, it stil requires wayy too much time/VC to upgrade your myplayer. I don't care if they charge 1,000,000 VC for a pair Curry 2s.
I agree with your point about the cost of entry being too high. I'm personally comfortable with playing online once I get a build up to around a 75 overall; that way I can use my own custom jumpshot, but it would indeed take awhile to get there without buying some amount of VC.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #27
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
It is surprising that a basketball game sold 12 million copies.

That's about double of what we already thought was really high at around 7 million.

Just goes to show you that the people around here who "boycott" the game and repeatedly let us know about it are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Just goes to show you that the people around here who "boycott" the game and repeatedly let us know about it are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Oh yeah the boycotts

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #29
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I haven't bought any VC and I play 2k all the time.

There is nothing sad about it, and obviously, the people spending money arent as miserable as this small bubble of complainers are making you think.

There is no competition but that's not because 2K is holding anyone back or trying to hinder them.

"anti consumer" is a ridiculous embellishment and that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're on the internet.
What is VC? ha

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 08-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #30
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In my entire life, I have literally, and I mean literally, never been more wrong than about 10 years or so ago when I said that 5-6 million copies was the most a basketball game could ever sell even if the quality was super great. Just flat out dead wrong.

Czar talks about gameplay not even selling the game anymore, and with the early buzz that 2K20 is generating, if gameplay is on point, then could they reach 14 or 15 this cycle. It's unbelievable.
I REMEMBER THIS!!!!! LOL. I think it has been very difficult for fans who "grew" up with 2k to understand what a giant this game has become. You can't do everything like you used to when your game gets this big. It is not a mom and pop shop anymore.

WE as in the hardcore gamer, no longer carry the narrative. We think we do because of the echo chambers we gather in but it is a big world out there.

I don't even think reading sales numbers can help you understand the impact the game is having world wide right now.

I remember when we as a community used to have "launch" parties for the game and go to game-stops and try to convince people to give the game a chance. LOL.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #31
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I REMEMBER THIS!!!!! LOL. I think it has been very difficult for fans who "grew" up with 2k to understand what a giant this game has become. You can't do everything like you used to when your game gets this big. It is not a mom and pop shop anymore.

WE as in the hardcore gamer, no longer carry the narrative. We think we do because of the echo chambers we gather in but it is a big world out there.

I don't even think reading sales numbers can help you understand the impact the game is having world wide right now.

I remember when we as a community used to have "launch" parties for the game and go to game-stops and try to convince people to give the game a chance. LOL.

Ive been buying NBA2k since the very 1st game they made, except I boycotted NBA2k9, due to no CH2k, I stuck with CH2k8 and NBA2k8, still probably the most fun I ever had playing video games, were those games, and as good as those games were, I know I couldnt go back and play them now, and enjoy them, due to how much NBA2k has evolved.

I always knew they had something special in the making early on, but cant say I ever thought it would have the draw it has world wide, that it does now. Sure as a offline Association player only, I have my gripes, like lack of charges, and lack of shooting fouls on 3pt attempts, ( although hoping those issues are finally fixed this yr), but overall, this game is by far the best sports video game made yr in and yr out. So I expect it will be no different with NBA2k20.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Let me ask this...

Outside of the opinion of "I hate microtransactions", do anyone think microtransactions were bad in NBA 2K19? I thought it was waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than NBA 2K18. They were stingy as hell about giving up some VC.
i thought it was worse.

i was able to earn more vc playing walk on in 2k18...i mean bac then you were even able to get an endorsement cheque for your shoe deal after about 8-10 walk on/pro am games. They cut that option out this year(can only get it playing my career) and you earned less in JRC. They were more stingy this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »