Home

Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

This is a discussion on Random...NBA 2K19 Sales within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #33
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I REMEMBER THIS!!!!! LOL. I think it has been very difficult for fans who "grew" up with 2k to understand what a giant this game has become. You can't do everything like you used to when your game gets this big. It is not a mom and pop shop anymore.

WE as in the hardcore gamer, no longer carry the narrative. We think we do because of the echo chambers we gather in but it is a big world out there.

I don't even think reading sales numbers can help you understand the impact the game is having world wide right now.

I remember when we as a community used to have "launch" parties for the game and go to game-stops and try to convince people to give the game a chance. LOL.
Man I remember I got 2k from gamestop one year and the cashier was like "are you sure you don't want NBA Live instead!?" like he was shocked.

Those days Live ads were all in the windows and we didn't have dev blogs.

We had to get our info from GameInformer and IGN when whomever reviewed it relased that info.

Even then, Gamespot's site had Live ads all over the 2k review page

Wild times to see, seeing where we first got sig moves in 2k7 to where it is now, which is a ridiculous leap for the entire genre of sports games.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:25 AM   #34
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I haven't bought any VC and I play 2k all the time.

There is nothing sad about it, and obviously, the people spending money arent as miserable as this small bubble of complainers are making you think.

There is no competition but that's not because 2K is holding anyone back or trying to hinder them.

"anti consumer" is a ridiculous embellishment and that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're on the internet.
The cost of research and development continues to increase while games stay at the $60 price range. As long as consumers are willing to spend more on microtransactions and VC then the suits at Take - Two will continue to monetize the non - NBA (you know what it says on the front of the box and what is the "main draw" of the series) aspects of the game. Just do like any smart, sane consumer would do and STOP SPENDING YOUR MONEY ON VC!

Also, do GTA Online players bitch as much about microtransactions as 2K players do?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 08-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #35
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimFast_GymRat
I don't play too much online either...
like a lot of simheads that avoid some of the toxicity playing with different hardcore casuals. And that's just it, the online world is a much separate culture from the offline so I couldn't reliably judge your experience the way you would like me too.

But there ARE some valid points being made on both sides that are being conflated into a positive/vs. negative discussion.

If some ppl were less critical of the game's entirety they probably would get their point across better.

NBA 2K19 is a great game, the best 2K I've played since 2K16, and a great game always warrants its massive amount of sales, but even with that said, there's always a downside to having a heavily "commercialized" product central to its company's success (2K Sports). You just can't please everyone.

For those that can't pay to play, they still haven't found a sweet spot to lesson the grind that "helps" level the playing field (because it can never be equal). The problem is... is that a consumer has EVERY right to spend as much as they want on a game to get the most out of it. Afterall, they spent more so they should have an advantage... That's the point of microtransactions.
But 'how much more of an advantage?' is the real question.

Edit: Sorry, not the OP's but the other commenter's opposed view on sales.
Smart and thoughtful response, man.

I hope beyond hope that the massive success of NBA can get the suits at Take - two to green light some other sports titles (beyond basketball and wrestling). They weren't all critical darlings, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss having MLB, NHL, NFL/All - Pro and (insert tennis games name here) around......

More options please, Take - Two?

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 08-09-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 13
Icon7 Re: Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Man I remember I got 2k from gamestop one year and the cashier was like "are you sure you don't want NBA Live instead!?" like he was shocked.

Those days Live ads were all in the windows and we didn't have dev blogs.

We had to get our info from GameInformer and IGN when whomever reviewed it relased that info.

Even then, Gamespot's site had Live ads all over the 2k review page

Wild times to see, seeing where we first got sig moves in 2k7 to where it is now, which is a ridiculous leap for the entire genre of sports games.

for its day - that 2k7 demo and the night before 2k video
Old 08-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Impressive. All that "anti consumer" and "predatory" stuff, yet and still the game is selling more units and making more money than ever. Something isnt adding up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

haha in other news, people are still selling crack.

I find the wording hilarious in that article: 2k plans to add microtransaction 'opportunities' to all of their games. THX. That's why I didn't buy the new golf club.

But good on 2k for making money, and good on you dudes for being happy they are making money (more so than wanting to keep your own...)

It's obviously a successful business model. That's why outrage comes into the mix. If it wasn't successful, we wouldn't need outrage because they wouldn't be able to keep doing it.

Shame on 2k for thinking people should only make one player and grind it all year, otherwise pay out the... I mean, that's how I feel, but you know how I feel.

Edit: 2k always had its magic, even their football game(s) were interesting. They have an interesting take on sports, and it's fun. It's not fun to get hosed, though. Probably no game is worth that, but 2k hasn't blown me away for years.

Edit: and @ Czar, ya we know, but it's still bogus. There's no reason 2k couldn't add a grind-free sim mode, but you know why they won't? Because people would play it instead of getting on the grind wheel. So, it's not about the casuals being disappointed w/ change, it's about wanting to make maxx money. Which is fine, but it's not an issue of accessibility like some people might say. Doing what I said would probably equal more copies sold, but it would cut off enough micros that it would not be profitable overall (plus more work.) It's sad.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLSmak; 08-12-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #38
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0

Guys.

I will buy this game. This game is great and I love basketball.

But if your telling me this game is better than ever with micro transactions, when we literally have to play like 180 NBA games just to get like a 75 rated player. Your crazy.

People way smarter than me calculated how many game hours it takes to get to a 90 rated player. Simply put, if you aren't unemployed, you're going to have to spend an extra $20 to $40 to make this game remotely playable.

Then you will be like a 70 rated player and you will still have to play another 100 games just to get to a 75 or 80 rated player.

This isn't acceptable....

Fortnite has people paying $60 for skins... because the game is free. Expecting people to pay an extra $40 or not have a life is crazy.

We've gotten to the point that people are saying this year is better because you don't have to pay to change something minor.

But it's a good basketball game so I'll deal...

I won't be able to compete in the park because I don't have the money.

I won't be able to compete in My Team because they will match a 83 rated team with a 99 rated team. This leaves me with My League and My Career offline.

The gameplay is good, rosters get updated, game looks good, and a few friends might want to play online. In the end I'll overlook these glaring flaws. And enjoy the game however I can.

With all this being said, do you really expect 2k to make the amount of money they make on VC and just give that up? If game sales radically decrease they may change, but seriously, some people spend $200 in VC. Most spend at least $20. Multiply that by the millions and millions of people who bought this game.

When people like me are still willing to put up with it, there is no reason for them to stop and I can't blame them. But I'm not about to be a martyr and not buy the game... Too many people will buy for it to really matter and I love basketball too much to avoid it.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #39
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Smart and thoughtful response, man.

I hope beyond hope that the massive success of NBA can get the suits at Take - two to green light some other sports titles (beyond basketball and wrestling). They weren't all critical darlings, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss having MLB, NHL, NFL/All - Pro and (insert tennis games name here) around......

More options please, Take - Two?

The things I would do for a new College Hoops 2K or a new whatever they want to call it football game (or a new Top Spin if the first two aren't possible)...I am not proud of it.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #40
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
haha in other news, people are still selling crack.

I find the wording hilarious in that article: 2k plans to add microtransaction 'opportunities' to all of their games. THX. That's why I didn't buy the new golf club.

But good on 2k for making money, and good on you dudes for being happy they are making money (more so than wanting to keep your own...)

It's obviously a successful business model. That's why outrage comes into the mix. If it wasn't successful, we wouldn't need outrage because they wouldn't be able to keep doing it.

Shame on 2k for thinking people should only make one player and grind it all year, otherwise pay out the... I mean, that's how I feel, but you know how I feel.

Edit: 2k always had its magic, even their football game(s) were interesting. They have an interesting take on sports, and it's fun. It's not fun to get hosed, though. Probably no game is worth that, but 2k hasn't blown me away for years.

Edit: and @ Czar, ya we know, but it's still bogus. There's no reason 2k couldn't add a grind-free sim mode, but you know why they won't? Because people would play it instead of getting on the grind wheel. So, it's not about the casuals being disappointed w/ change, it's about wanting to make maxx money. Which is fine, but it's not an issue of accessibility like some people might say. Doing what I said would probably equal more copies sold, but it would cut off enough micros that it would not be profitable overall (plus more work.) It's sad.

-Smak

This is a videogame, not drugs. The fact that you use that as an analogy says more about you and your disdain for the game than anything.

Surprise!!!! Companies like money. Even when they make a lot, they want even more. Its pretty evident that microtransactions aren't going anywhere so you may as well accept it or stop gaming. Don't buy the new golf club. Don't buy 2K20. That's your right. At least in the case of 2K, the game is flourishing without you people. Stop acting like its a crime or something nefarious or that people don't know whats going on with micrtransactions. Micros have been around long enough that most people know what they are getting into.

You're right, good on 2K for making money. Good on anyone getting money. I'm all for seeing people winning. 100%

Yeah, outrage...

Shame on people who know how 2K has been getting down this entire gen getting "outraged" and buying the game every year. Who's the fool? My pockets are just fine. I don't need you worrying about what I spend. I'm good, homie. You keep projecting your personal take on microtransactions on the buying public. Some agree with you. Most don't as evident by the numbers.

It's funny, I haven't spent one red cent on 2K19. Not one. I haven't felt pressured to. I'm the same with Madden. I'm having a blast with M20. I do hate the stupid MUT offer every time I sit down to play. But, it's a button click and I'm off to my CFM. I understand the reality of gaming in 2019. I'm not out to rage and fight some moral fight. I'm not out to change anything. I don't care. I play to have fun. When I stop having fun or feel exploited, I'll do something else. It aint that serious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »