Home

Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

This is a discussion on Random...NBA 2K19 Sales within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nb.../1100-6468923/

I guess they found the sweet spot with VC pricing of in-game items.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Random...NBA 2K19 Sales

You have guys with multiple builds. So it's not surprising...
Old 08-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
You have guys with multiple builds. So it's not surprising...
It is surprising that a basketball game sold 12 million copies.

That's about double of what we already thought was really high at around 7 million.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
Pro

This is actually a horrendously sad story as it gives them free enterprise to continue and push the line. This is already one of the if the not most anti-consumer video game on the market. If anyone had hopes of even some of the more absurd microtransactions or smaller pay for play boosts being rolled back then that is now officially a dream. I really thought 2k19 was a step back for the franchise and sales might have been down a tick as me and some others I know gave up playing the game very early last year. But I guess I was wrong and it is more popular than ever. Now Live has decided to drop the ball yet again so there is absolutely zero competition to keep anything in check.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Let me ask this...

Outside of the opinion of "I hate microtransactions", do anyone think microtransactions were bad in NBA 2K19? I thought it was waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than NBA 2K18. They were stingy as hell about giving up some VC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
This is actually a horrendously sad story as it gives them free enterprise to continue and push the line. This is already one of the if the not most anti-consumer video game on the market. If anyone had hopes of even some of the more absurd microtransactions or smaller pay for play boosts being rolled back then that is now officially a dream. I really thought 2k19 was a step back for the franchise and sales might have been down a tick as me and some others I know gave up playing the game very early last year. But I guess I was wrong and it is more popular than ever. Now Live has decided to drop the ball yet again so there is absolutely zero competition to keep anything in check.
I haven't bought any VC and I play 2k all the time.

There is nothing sad about it, and obviously, the people spending money arent as miserable as this small bubble of complainers are making you think.

There is no competition but that's not because 2K is holding anyone back or trying to hinder them.

"anti consumer" is a ridiculous embellishment and that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're on the internet.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

There is nothing sad about it, and obviously, the people spending money arent as miserable as this small bubble of complainers are making you think.

There is no competition but that's not because 2K is holding anyone back or trying to hinder them.

"anti consumer" is a ridiculous embellishment and that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're on the internet.
Wow!, are you a paid shill or really just that much of a fanboy? We pay full price for a game, then in order to compete you have to spend at least another game price. If that was not bad enough you then are still at a competitive disadvantage if you are not willing spend VC on boosts before every online game, a straight pay to win strategy. There is a large market of competitive gamers. Now you obviously are not one, but if you were you would understand that no one that wants to compete is willing to wait around for half the game's life cycle until they have a player that can compete online. And even if they did without spending anything extra on VC they would still be at a huge disadvantage to those that did purchase the player day one. This is straight predatory marketing on a specific segment of purchasers that they know are willing to spend more in order to win more. Not only is it just to have a level playing field but they actually make the early stages very unenjoyable for many players by starting you with a player that has no business being an nba draft pick. Then let's not even get into issues like the prices for clothing, which I think is fine because it does not effect gameplay, but even then they have done things in the past like charge you for even wanting to see what a hair cut would look like on your player or to start your player with a beard. And how about the last couple of years where they take the release day of the game (the first day the nba has agreed they can put out a game) and put it behind a pay wall to buy a legendary edition giving yet another advantage to those willing to play more. This while they inflict advertisement on every aspect of the game we already paid for to the point where there are commercials that you cannot skip being put into the game in the final months before the next iteration comes out.

I get it, this game has a ton going for it with a plethora of modes and a lot of polish, but for you blind defenders willing to back them up no matter how slimey the practice allows the whole community to suffer. Go check Metacritic's user scores averaging like a 1 or 2 the last couple of years for this exact reason.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

Exactly they give you options to earn VC but people chose not to use them and instead spend actual money so they could be immediately competitive in the park, also the whole VC to upgrade your player was something the community asked for, people complained that they did not have the time to grind and request an option to pay to upgrade their players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »