Home

NBA 2K20 / NBA 2K21 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 / NBA 2K21 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD

People wonder when guys like taildog and I will finally relent on the triangle. People get that we have nostalgia about it, but they say pure triangle ain't winning in the NBA. Sure pinch post and bling pig work, but sideline triangle just isn't that effective. The defense easily reads the most foundational part of the offense. Beyond that, the triangle has a lot of actions/movements that don't scare modern defenses.

But we know too much about the value of threes and the inefficiency of midrange jumpers and post-ups, the triangle is literally the triple post offense. They can say it's antiquated, but what these people don't know is that many different variations exist within modern day offenses. Another flaw is that the triangle requires a team to have more high iq/skilled players than most teams posses. Every team can't have a Jokic or Gasol that can facilitate from the high post and score at two/three levels. Triangle doesn't work so well if you have guys like Nerlens or Tyson Chandler (and those are decent players).

That's why I never listen to the narratives of pot puffers and glue sniffers. The reason sideline triangle doesn't work because most of the time, teams don't commit to running the sets correctly. You see it in the game film. Guys clearly don't have knowledge of the sets, are out of position or just don't care enough to make it work.

That isn't to say it's all bad, but people take Spurs motion, Princeton, high PnR, regular dribble drive, or DHO based offenses over the triangle. Me? I'll take the triangle, Warriors offense, Spurs motion, DHO offense and Princeton any day of the week.

I appreciate most peoples opinions but the fact is the triangle would most certainly work if a team fully committed to it and properly taught it. When I ran it with the Mystics on 2k20, we got TONS of 3s. The only reason why some of these Knicks teams didn't take a lot was because they didn't have a lot of players who were comfortable shooting the 3. You get every action that exists in the other offenses I mentioned by running the triangle. While it helps to have gifted passers, if you teach it correctly, you can create good passers. If you look at the Spurs Motion Offense, you'll notice that they incorporate several Triangle principles. To all those pot puffers and glue sniffers, I say this: Don't try to tell me that the Triangle doesn't work. It works, with several variations. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Well at the point you wont get the commitment. Players arent with teams for a long time now, times have changed.

The triangle isnt evil, but the days have moved passed it to a point, so teams use aspects of it that clearly work, but to base the entire team around it is not going to happen in todays NBA.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Well at the point you wont get the commitment. Players arent with teams for a long time now, times have changed.

The triangle isnt evil, but the days have moved passed it to a point, so teams use aspects of it that clearly work, but to base the entire team around it is not going to happen in todays NBA.
True, lots of teams run different sets like pinch post or blind pig. I like the two-man game and screens as well as pressure release plays. When you look at the Warriors and how they run different sets it reminds me of how the Bulls or Lakers run it because it creates space for others to do work. While I respect the modern offenses, the functions of the triangle works in different ways.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 8

https://youtu.be/ihYCtiqA6aM
Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 8

I think the triangle didn’t work in NY because of the lack of teaching and to some extent the lack of buy in from melo who is paying for it now. The fundamentals of a sound offense and defense is what set Phil’s teams apart IMO. I think the 98 lakers had more talent than the 2000 team. And 2000 more than 2001. And 2001 more than 2002. Look at the rosters. Steve Kerr, like Phil and to a lesser degree Pop, have players work on fundamentals at every full practice. They matter. The particulars of how a screen is made or how a cut is made matter. Footwork, timing, rhythm all matter.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #30
Banned

So to modernize the triangle in 2k are there any plays that run similar things but with more emphasis on creating open 3s and layups?

While everyone in this thread loves and has an appreciation for the offense run by Phil Jackson in Chicago and LA I'm sure we could put together a good playbook that people can create on their own that is more appropriate for playing with modern teams.

I've always appreciated how beautiful the offense was to watch when it was humming but I know little about the actions and proper read/react principles but I'm willing to help any way I can.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #31
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman87
True, lots of teams run different sets like pinch post or blind pig. I like the two-man game and screens as well as pressure release plays. When you look at the Warriors and how they run different sets it reminds me of how the Bulls or Lakers run it because it creates space for others to do work. While I respect the modern offenses, the functions of the triangle works in different ways.

Spurs ran some semblance of sets also.

..but yeah I doubt it'll return to this modern league. Maybe never.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 01:17 AM   #32
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildog
Ironically I'm watching your interview right now. Haven't gotten to the triangle part yet

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »