Home

NBA 2K20 Gameplay Video - Clippers vs. Lakers (30 Minutes of Footage)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Gameplay Video - Clippers vs. Lakers (30 Minutes of Footage) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
Rookie

lvnba's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 Gameplay Video - Clippers vs. Lakers (30 Minutes of Footage)

Very disappointing to see players still SLIDING. You can see Harrell sliding very clearly around the 12:15 when setting a pick.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

The excessive ugly jump passes are whack.. So many jumping, 180 passes.. Lots of bad passes out of jump shots as well.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #35
Pro

Ok, I watched the whole video. Here's what I gathered:

1. Josh Hart is a NBA player, yet the most complex thing he called was a pick n roll. I was expecting a superior mindset on the sticks.. Do better, lol

2. I was looking forward to seeing the different player speeds and ball handling advancements from last year. The way they played didn't help observe that at all. Turbo fest with little plays ran, bad spacing and very few prudent isolations.

3. Bad defenders stick out more like in 2K18. In 2K19, if you are great at defense you can make bad defenders look good.

4. Unfortunately (It may be too early to tell) it looks like loose balls still have the tendency to gravitate to the team that originally had possession. Truly hope this was fixed.

5. Random percentages under players feet sporadically throughout the game... ahhh, more guides and assist in the game; don't we have enough already?

6. Blocking is different in a good way. One possession the kid got block happy and Josh Hart read it. Got him up in the air and the defender was planted while he ran past him. Nice..

7. Defense isn't as glued, but if you play the angles and move your feet, it looks like you can still defend well.

8. Not sure of level, but if you are dribbling mindlessly you better give me that damn ball. Don't patch it this year, 2K!

I'm looking forward to playing this game the right way and seeing exactly what has changed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I might stick with 2K19 this year unless the urge suddenly develops to play online in Park/Crew with the new and improved MyPlayer options.

We've heard a few times that certain player motion and animation systems were rebuilt from the ground up, but the animations look so similar that they must come from the same platform. The distinct running and dribbling styles are good additions, but can't shine because branching of animations is still choppy, player movements are still exaggerated and cover too much ground, and players lack subtle quick twitch movements that define most half court basketball action. Some of that is on user vs user control in these pre-release videos, but the animation sequencing and branching just isn't there yet IMO. I have no idea whether it's the motion capture, physics, game engine, etc.... it's just not tight enough.

Hopefully they keep building career mode features and core basketball gameplay features (freelance, series, actions) going into next gen. Those are the areas of the game that hold up over the years. So much of gameplay is subject to configuration (roster, sliders, ACE) and patches (nerf/bump) every year that we won't really know how it plays until release day. Even that config will only be reliable for a few weeks at a time as patches/updates roll in.

Out-of-the-box rosters might be the deciding factor for 2K20 since they apply to all of these online modes. It took 2-4 months for most major roster projects to complete in 2K19 and I'd estimate 3-5 months for 2K20 with all of the new badges that need to be understood. That's a lot of effort and delay time for offline gamers in a 12 month release cycle so it makes the decision tougher to upgrade each year.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #37
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

There's only so much that can fit in each release cycle, but for 2K21 let's put some focus on the OFF-BALL DEFENSE! It has to be rebuilt.

One of the first things you get taught in youth basketball is "BALL, YOU, MAN" and the lack of respect for that principle in 2K creates a lot of unnatural ball movement since the offense can exploit angles that would never play out in real life. Defenders should be hedging all over the place, cutting off passing angles without jumping passing lanes, and providing help rotations "one pass away". We can fake these through the Defensive Settings menus, but they should be treated like standard Basketball 101 principles instead of team/player specific settings that need to be overwritten to work.

OG/Czar... let us know where to sign the petition lol. Offensive gameplay has been moving forward faster than the defense. S/o to the new transition defense options, now let's get the half court options upgraded.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 19

"brothers and sisters, brothers and sisters, I dont know what this world is coming to!"

I never thought short shorts on the basketball court would ever be a thing again, or wanted in a video game...
Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #39
Pro

zrohman's Arena

This community is so toxic...

This video makes it clear... Movement has changed more in 2K20 than it has in several years, a radical change in movement. Players finally look to have more freedom of movement... Blow-bys, which happens all the time in the NBA, is in the game. A radical improvement.

And people are complaining because a superstar made a guarded shot... People want realism, but they hate that good defense doesn't equal a 100% miss. People want realism but then they hate when a superstar drills it in the face of the defense (how often does that happen in the NBA?)

There is so much complaining and nitpicking. I'm upset because their is big input lag online, wish defense would improve online. We all have little things. But when we see radical improvements can we praise those? Gameplay looks great
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #40
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Looks like another year of loose balls going back to the offense 90 percent of the time lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »