Home

NBA 2K20 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Review within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #41
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Live commentary isnt like radio commentary where they are calling out every pass that happens on the court to paint a picture...even though they still do that a lot more than usual in the game. I definitely don't see them often ignoring the important parts of the action- scoring, turnovers etc. They will break mid convo and comment on it...
I'm not expecting a radio-style broadcast. It's hard to explain lol. They actually do more of the pass callouts than a real TV broadcast would, but even those sound very robotic when they do.

But I'm more talking about just the overall awareness of the play. Sure, they break and say someone scored or there was a block or whatever, but they never really seem to discuss the whole play, or talk about things as they happen.

This play is a perfect example
Spoiler

Zion gets wide open, literally no one within 15 feet, then drives straight to the basket uncontested. There is no mention at all of a defensive breakdown, or Williamson being left alone, or the open path to the basket. Just a generic, "that falls, nice feed from Rondo."

And even the lines Harlan does deliver don't sound anything like he sounds when broadcasting a game in real life. I don't know if it's the stitching or just the robotic delivery, but there's no excitement to it. I love listening to Kevin Harlan call games for both the NBA and NFL in real life, but in 2K, he just sounds bland. I wish I could find a video of just a full NBA game that he called to show some examples.

Quote:
Obviously all the anecdotes will get repetitive once we hear them all, and there are still a few from multiple games ago that should have been gone. (I'm looking at you "Two hands for safety") but that's the nature of sports games.
The repetition for me is more about the backstories and side discussions than small quips like that. It becomes increasingly obvious when you play with the same team more often how little the commentary really follows the game on the floor.

Quote:
I heard Harlan yell out that DeRozan dunked all over Layman the other day. Who even thinks to record that specific dialogue? That's the stuff that stands out to me and adds flavor to commentary...
I agree, and I love things like that. I would much rather see more things like that, that are specific to the game happening on the court, than talking about what X player did over the summer, or hearing about who the best rebounding teams were last season after a foul call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #42
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I'm not expecting a radio-style broadcast. It's hard to explain lol. They actually do more of the pass callouts than a real TV broadcast would, but even those sound very robotic when they do.

But I'm more talking about just the overall awareness of the play. Sure, they break and say someone scored or there was a block or whatever, but they never really seem to discuss the whole play, or talk about things as they happen.

This play is a perfect example

Zion gets wide open, literally no one within 15 feet, then drives straight to the basket uncontested. There is no mention at all of a defensive breakdown, or Williamson being left alone, or the open path to the basket. Just a generic, "that falls, nice feed from Rondo."

And even the lines Harlan does deliver don't sound anything like he sounds when broadcasting a game in real life. I don't know if it's the stitching or just the robotic delivery, but there's no excitement to it. I love listening to Kevin Harlan call games for both the NBA and NFL in real life, but in 2K, he just sounds bland. I wish I could find a video of just a full NBA game that he called to show some examples.

The repetition for me is more about the backstories and side discussions than small quips like that. It becomes increasingly obvious when you play with the same team more often how little the commentary really follows the game on the floor.

I agree, and I love things like that. I would much rather see more things like that, that are specific to the game happening on the court, than talking about what X player did over the summer, or hearing about who the best rebounding teams were last season after a foul call.
Right after the play you posted-

GA: “That’s the 10th straight point they’ve given up in the point”

KH: “Now here’s Rondo” “Pass to James” “And he uses the glass on the lay in” “Lebron’s got 6”

GA: “They’re at their best when Lebron is pushing”

That's real and specific commentary on the situation, I think we take for granted how much that actually happens compared to other sports games because we are simply used to it.

Delivery could definitely be better (I think being able to dynamically say names instead of "he" "they" is a part of that) and they could certainly improve even more on specific situations, but I still think its top flight as far as commentary goes with how fast paced basketball is.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #43
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

I know we are all different and have different opinions, but I think the Game is great, I think it plays better then any 2k to date, and I don't play online at all so a lot of the issues guys are having are online issues. Im not going to give any more of my money for any of my player stuff, happy I don't play that mode.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 09-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #44
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Right after the play you posted-

GA: “That’s the 10th straight point they’ve given up in the point”

KH: “Now here’s Rondo” “Pass to James” “And he uses the glass on the lay in” “Lebron’s got 6”

GA: “They’re at their best when Lebron is pushing”

That's real and specific commentary on the situation, I think we take for granted how much that actually happens compared to other sports games because we are simply used to it.

Delivery could definitely be better (I think being able to dynamically say names instead of "he" "they" is a part of that) and they could certainly improve even more on specific situations, but I still think its top flight as far as commentary goes with how fast paced basketball is.
This is why I say it's difficult to describe lol. On the plays you quoted, that happened after a fast break leading to an open layup. Of course they scored in the paint on a break like that. But they don't mention the break at all, and just treat it as another bucket in the paint. And there was no excitement at all to the delivery on Lebron's layup (which probably should have been a dunk because he had a wide open lane, but that is irrelevant here).

It just doesn't sound at all like what a real broadcast sounds like. That's why I want to find a full game of Harlan commentating to do an apples to apples comparison and really point out what I'm trying to say.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #45
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramspeedkill
is this a good/must buy for a guy like you offline/myleague only wants to see good graphics, much changes in players face/hair updates and gameplay? I've seen such bad reviews everywhere Metricritics usues reviews are below 2 has worried me but mostly they are talking about online stuff and mypark?
At this point, user reviews are no longer reliable, because we live in a time where too many people believe in going online to intentionally give a bad review when something makes them mad. You're better off finding a good forum where people can talk about the game, but are not fanboys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #46
Rookie

ToughJuice's Arena

Nothing here that would warrant a purchase over 19. See you next-gen 2k.*
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughJuice
Nothing here that would warrant a purchase over 19. See you next-gen 2k.*

Your loss 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2
to me this game is really, really good, but my only complaint is when playing in the Timberwolves , as I play on the broadcast generic View, the fans still stand up blocking my view of the Court which is utterly ridiculous. 2K, this has been a problem for many years now and it is more than time for you to fix it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »