Home

Fix the Dribble Pull-up/Difficult Shots Badge

This is a discussion on Fix the Dribble Pull-up/Difficult Shots Badge within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Fix the Dribble Pull-up/Difficult Shots Badge

Since the last patch the dribble pull up has been completely broken as the timing has become so strict that even using a simple 15-17 foot pull up is overly risky and inefficient to attempt. It has become a more efficient play to fish for pull up and step back 3s then to just get your defender to bite, blow past them and take the easy two. It is also easier in many cases to time the fading side ways shots then the simple straight on pull up which is completely unrealistic, especially since it seems the timing is different on the pull up depending on what the dribble hand the ball is in.

Difficult Shots Badge. To make matters worse for shot creators is that the badge seemingly has little to no effect even on hall of fame. I tested extensively with the bade completely off vs the badge on hall of fame on dribble pull-ups, dribble fades, and step backs and can could not notice any difference in success percentages. The difficult shots badge was always the primary badge for shot creators and now it seems to be completely irrelevant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Fix the Dribble Pull-up/Difficult Shots Badge

15-17 foot dribble pull up is definitely an inefficient shot to take in real life tho.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliLPC
15-17 foot dribble pull up is definitely an inefficient shot to take in real life tho.
Second only to the Andrew Wiggins special 22 ft dribble pullup
Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
Second only to the Andrew Wiggins special 22 ft dribble pullup
Tell that to Kahwi, Kyrie, Westbrook, Chris Paul, exc. It is not an inefficient shot. Contested mid range are what they want to give up because of the added value of an extra point from the 3, not because it is harder to make smh. So let me refrase my argument and say a pull up wide open 3 instead. Pretty sure Curry and D-Lil think those are good shots. The point is that the green window is so much tighter than a standstill shot. In practice I will green at least 8 out of 10 long range 3s yet get maybe 4 out of 10 on the pull ups. And then that does not address difficult shots which i completely unequipped and have had no drop off in scoring from my side fades and step backs.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Tell that to Kahwi, Kyrie, Westbrook, Chris Paul, exc. It is not an inefficient shot. Contested mid range are what they want to give up because of the added value of an extra point from the 3, not because it is harder to make smh. So let me refrase my argument and say a pull up wide open 3 instead. Pretty sure Curry and D-Lil think those are good shots. The point is that the green window is so much tighter than a standstill shot. In practice I will green at least 8 out of 10 long range 3s yet get maybe 4 out of 10 on the pull ups. And then that does not address difficult shots which i completely unequipped and have had no drop off in scoring from my side fades and step backs.
Sorry one step inside the 3 point line is the worst shot in basketball contested or not. Mid range is what defenses want to give up because it hits at a rate that makes it inefficient due to the relative ease of converting at the rim and the extra point given on 3 point shots.

Dribble pull ups are a tough shot and should be harder to make. Last season with filters of GP > 60 and at least 5 pull up attempts per game there are 9 players on the league last year that had an eFG of at least 50% and all of them had better eFG overall than they did on pull up jumpers.
https://stats.nba.com/players/pullup...gular%20Season

If you want specifically 3 pt pullups using the same criteria above there are 11 players above 36% (roughly league average for ALL 3 pt attempts) on dribble pullups. It's a tough shot to hit in real life and I think that difficulty is appropriately represented in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
Sorry one step inside the 3 point line is the worst shot in basketball contested or not. Mid range is what defenses want to give up because it hits at a rate that makes it inefficient due to the relative ease of converting at the rim and the extra point given on 3 point shots.

Dribble pull ups are a tough shot and should be harder to make. Last season with filters of GP > 60 and at least 5 pull up attempts per game there are 9 players on the league last year that had an eFG of at least 50% and all of them had better eFG overall than they did on pull up jumpers.
https://stats.nba.com/players/pullup...gular%20Season

If you want specifically 3 pt pullups using the same criteria above there are 11 players above 36% (roughly league average for ALL 3 pt attempts) on dribble pullups. It's a tough shot to hit in real life and I think that difficulty is appropriately represented in the game.
Sorry but the league average is lower than the pull up average of those top players, so saying that is the case, a player with a high rating and then factor in the difficult shots badge on HOF meaning best, I don't think it should twice as hard to make that shot than a stand still 3. Now what about the pull up middie, those same types of players hit that shot at a much higher percentage than the league average for 3.

Now factor in that from close to 30 feet standing on 2k it is much easier to green than a pull up midrange. No matter your argument on efficiency the thought that people make a limitless 3 at a higher percentage than the moving middie is ludicrous.

For the last point we are also talking about a video game that cannot replicate the small foot adjustments. It also in this game takes much much longer to come to a stop and shoot with proper form than it does IRL let alone the NBA. The game forces you to take these types of shots to be able to get it off clean. If you come to a stop and shoot you will miss your window. IRL a good portion of these shots are actually shots a player would have time to slow their movement into a good form shot but the game is not capable of replicating that.

P.S.
a 15 foot shot is around the foul line extended far from one step inside the 3 point line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »