Home

Onball Defense is non existent

This is a discussion on Onball Defense is non existent within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Onball Defense is non existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by goma76
My suggestion is to leave more space between you and the other player. Do not stay close and playing intense defense every time can help to contain him.

Howewer in principle isn't wrong that you can pass every time your defender but the point is what that specific player can do after. I mean, nobody shouldn't stonewall you apart some cases but only elite player can consistently finish in traffic.

Seeing real NBA I don't think that you can stop easily a player who wants to go inside.

Your opinion?
i agree with you in theory. but the application of it looks bad on 2k20.

the ball is inside of the defenders body. which means you're ramming the ball into something. which means the ball should pop loose.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
To beat somebody to a spot you have to leave some space. Guys are used to the old 2k's where you can play bumper cars above the 3pt line.

All i see is blow bys in the NBA so lets not act like thats the point of reference for you guys.
if all you see is blow bys in the nba. then you're not watching the same nba as we are.

do blow bys happen? yep. do they happen everytime? Nope.

There's a reason why every team in the nba is running heavy picks at the top. they are trying to do what? Free up their perimeter player.

so without said screen there are fewer blow bys.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

I usually agree with EC. But, this year i think the onball defense is very realistic and the best its been in 2k.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Rookie

m29a's Arena

You have to pick your spots. You cannot get up close and expect to bump all game on the perimeter. Give some space so you have time to react to the drive and cut them off. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't, that's basketball. Ratings matter and there is a bigger difference between a great defender and a bad one like there should be.

I don't get how anyone could claim this is like 2K18 where you could use literally any player and initiate an auto blow-by. Feels like there is some exaggeration going on here and some just deeply hate the idea of a blow-by altogether.

IMO The real issue is that rotations and help defense haven't improved enough, and it doesn't help that some of the defensive settings don't work as well as they should.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 17

Alabama rob add me sun tzu worldwide and ill show you what im talking about.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 17

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

I think it's just much more tiered than it was in the past. A Giannis can, yes, bully his way to the rim against most non-elite defenders (using human vs. human) but can at least be challenged to an extent with elite ones.

Really bad defenders give up blow-bys even after a contact animation a good amount because they're just bad defenders. The game is trying to be less bumper car-y (finally) and I think that throws off conceptions a bit because we've grown so used to riding animations and the like. But riding animations are not really open to certain types of defenders (at least for the most part) and now it's more about guessing spots and trying to cut off certain pieces of the floor rather than bump someone the whole way.

However, steal spam is still a mess if you want to talk about a tragic issue with on-ball defense.

Last edited by ChaseB; 10-18-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think it's just much more tiered than it was in the past. A Giannis can, yes, bully his way to the rim against most non-elite defenders (using human vs. human) but can at least be challenged to an extent with elite ones.

Really bad defenders give up blow-bys even after a contact animation a good amount because they're just bad defenders. The game is trying to be less bumper car-y (finally) and I think that throws off conceptions a bit because we've grown so used to riding animations and the like. But riding animations are really open to certain types of defenders (at least for the most part) and now it's more about guessing spots and trying to cut off certain pieces of the floor rather than bump someone the whole way.

However, steal spam is still a mess if you want to talk about a tragic issue with on-ball defense.

Spot on with this post!!

Weak defenders get exposed. And I guess that's because certain players just have to have this pull. Because we obviously don't want good players being locked up by bad defenders.

Spam steals are going crazy. I just ran into a few games. Where people didn't even care that they were giving up the lane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »