Home

Onball Defense is non existent

This is a discussion on Onball Defense is non existent within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2019, 02:16 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Onball Defense is non existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think it's just much more tiered than it was in the past. A Giannis can, yes, bully his way to the rim against most non-elite defenders (using human vs. human) but can at least be challenged to an extent with elite ones.

Really bad defenders give up blow-bys even after a contact animation a good amount because they're just bad defenders. The game is trying to be less bumper car-y (finally) and I think that throws off conceptions a bit because we've grown so used to riding animations and the like. But riding animations are not really open to certain types of defenders (at least for the most part) and now it's more about guessing spots and trying to cut off certain pieces of the floor rather than bump someone the whole way.

However, steal spam is still a mess if you want to talk about a tragic issue with on-ball defense.

Agree with this, I hated being forced into bumping and hip riding animations, even to the point where it felt the game was pulling on my player from behind with a magnet..

In real world NBA basketball there isn’t a defender alive who can stay in front of good offensive players without giving them space. The league has always been about help and team defense, both of which are toned down a bit too much in 2K, but on-ball is vastly improved..

I do think open court defense could be tweaked. I can usually go end to end off a miss a littler easier than I feel like I should be able to. However, it is such a relief to see a player at full speed be hard to stop by players who are in a stand still, or side/back pedaling.. in last years 2K all you had to do was get within 5 foot of a player on the fast break and it would just suck the two of you together like a magnet.. even if the offensive player was full speed down-hill and had you beat on the angle.. insanely annoying. Glad it’s been revamped.

One thing defensively I have noticed was defensive post badges seem really OP. Played a game against Bill Russell the other day and if he was anywhere even remotely close to my post guy I could even get him to trigger the right animations. Like wouldn’t do the shots I was trying to trigger, wouldn’t attempt a dunk, etc.. he didn’t even have to necessarily be contesting the shot, just be somewhere close to me. Felt like everything was predetermined before I even pushed a button. That was very annoying. I guess OP post defense is better than just being able to abuse them with spin animations though, so I’ll live with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #34
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think you have to do the more turnovers the right way though. There's already an abundance of steal spam, so you'd need to just make it so you're creating turnovers through more avenues than just press steal at right moment -- or maybe actually make it so you have to press steal at the right moment and only press it once, and instead of relying so hard on that, make it more about positioning and the like again.
I personally think its to easy to steal the ball. I would rather the ball become loose or a player travel if you guess right and he dribbles/leads the ball directly into your body and chest. Right now dribbling directly into a person creates an auto crossover that allows the ballhandler to drive by you. There has to be a consequence for dribbling the ball directly into a person. I am speaking about non steal dribble turnlvers.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #35
Rookie

Yeaaa, I like on-ball defense this year. Help defense/steal spamming are issues, but sometimes, you have to just try and handle the help yourself. But sagging off of people just enough to give you time to react to the drive works for me, consistently enough, and if you have a good defender (which, honestly, I feel like every team has at least one decent defensive PG/SG), unless the offensive person breaks you down with a dribble move consistently, trying to penetrate won't work (and honestly, I don't think I've met any players who are actually that nice with dribbling).

Of course, this is mainly in PNO, so it's possible that this won't apply to the AI in offline modes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #36
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I personally think its to easy to steal the ball. I would rather the ball become loose or a player travel if you guess right and he dribbles/leads the ball directly into your body and chest. Right now dribbling directly into a person creates an auto crossover that allows the ballhandler to drive by you. There has to be a consequence for dribbling the ball directly into a person. I am speaking about non steal dribble turnlvers.
Yeah I think one issue is that "space" has been death in prior 2K games, and still is in this game in the open floor for transition, but in the halfcourt giving a player space when he's not at top speed has been very helpful. But your point about the auto-crosses and the like is why space is still dangerous, especially because you're still banking on riding animations after giving space much of the time, because during those interactions is when you can force the turnovers.

So creating more variety in those turnovers would be mutually beneficial for that dance.

I do think it's fair to say the tiered system of defenders means there are haves and have nots where certain dudes get blown by no matter what, which feels a little absurd when you do everything right and still get owned when the user hasn't done anything more than turbo into you and then slide by. So you either feel like a brick wall or useless a lot of the time on defense when on the ball this year with not much in between.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 1

All I saw was blow bys last night. Ball is predicated on rotations and help Defense not blocking fouls 2k doesn’t call..
Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #38
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
All I saw was blow bys last night. Ball is predicated on rotations and help Defense not blocking fouls 2k doesn’t call..
You are not lying CPU defense is a joke now....Blow bys and no defensive rotation is not good right now...
Old 10-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #39
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

They need to at least bring back the automatic charges from 2k17. I guess peple find shooting to hard this year so all people do is sprint at you with their best driver until it works (or it doesn't). Yes it can be contained, but I'd rather see more charges for literally just sprinting at me lol
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #40
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
You are not lying CPU defense is a joke now....Blow bys and no defensive rotation is not good right now...
Quality game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »