Home

Why is MyCareer so Hard for casual players?

This is a discussion on Why is MyCareer so Hard for casual players? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #9
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why is MyCareer so Hard for casual players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Mycareer is easy. Play on HOF for a real challenge. I stick on All star and I'm averaging 40 pts and 12 assists recently might bump up the difficulty.
I've always believed that increasing the difficulty in MyCareer does little to effect the player. It only changes how well the AI plays with you.

I've only gotten a challenge out of the mode when trying to win as a role player with a low usage rate.

You have to use a lot of house rules if you don't want your stats to get out of hand. I've had to limit myself to not use the y button for boards or I would average 20rebs a game(with a 50 rebound rating).

Same goes for scoring. The CPU just can't defend some moves properly so I limit how many times I use them. I only set/use pick and rolls when the coach calls it. If there is off-ball action in my post-up play I pass to it if it's open. I have to put all kinds of limitations on my game.

It gets boring stuffing the stat sheet all the time. I'm much more excited when Jrue, Zion, or Lonzo have great games. Most of the time they play like idiots, but if they didn't every game would be a blowout win and I wouldn't want to play anymore.

EDIT: oh and this one is probably most important. I never call for the ball. Relying on the cpu to give you the ball on their own is a challenge in itself. If you don't create a passing angle that they can recognize then you're not getting it. I do call for lobs if I seal off a fronted defender with space tho because the computer can't recognize that situation but any other time it's up to them. It really makes you value pure passing players like Lonzo because he's a very willing passer.

Last edited by BasketBalla21; 11-24-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBalla21
It sounds to me like you never learned how to work well with your team and the game punished you for it once to difficulty increased. If you want actual pointers my suggestion would be to turn playcalling to auto, play art to full, and let your teammates get in a rhythm with you.
I dunno bro - I won a championship with the Nets and had to carry KD and Kyrie’s bum *** coz they kept doing dumb ****.

I would let them ISO or run plays and the plays would just break down and we’d get blown out.

When I got my OVR up I literally HAD to average a triple double just to get close to a win.

I’m on the Knicks now and trying to get them a championship is me fighting with the coach lol.

I set rotations making sure all these slashers stay out of my way so we can play team ball but the lineups get reset every game and I have to deal with DSJ ruining every fast break and Julius Randle spotting up in the midrange and bricking consistently.

The playoff difficulty curve is also far too sudden.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I dunno bro - I won a championship with the Nets and had to carry KD and Kyrie’s bum *** coz they kept doing dumb ****.

I would let them ISO or run plays and the plays would just break down and we’d get blown out.

When I got my OVR up I literally HAD to average a triple double just to get close to a win.

I’m on the Knicks now and trying to get them a championship is me fighting with the coach lol.

I set rotations making sure all these slashers stay out of my way so we can play team ball but the lineups get reset every game and I have to deal with DSJ ruining every fast break and Julius Randle spotting up in the midrange and bricking consistently.

The playoff difficulty curve is also far too sudden.
Are you playing on pro too? If you want to win no matter what you can just lower the difficulty.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't want to win the chip every year so I'll take the loss over forcing stats. Especially if I'm on a weak team. That kind of challenge is the only thing that keeps me playing offline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer86
I play on pro and still find it way too hard. Yes I suck but I'm only a casual player, I only play the game for 1-2 hours a night after work so don't have time to be a god at the game unfortunately. I have a 90 overall SG with all HOF shooting badges and I average around 50 points a game with 9 rebounds and 8 assists which is decent.

I also finished the regular season with the Bucks 75-7 so the regular season wasn't even the issue we blew teams out the water. Yet when the playoffs came around and we were up against the 8th seeded Magic (A team we swept in the regular season) suddenly the AI turned into shooting gods greening for fun and my dumb teammates constantly fouling them and missing easy jumpers.

I get that the playoffs are supposed to be more intense and harder but does it really have to be that difficult on pro? We ended up losing the series 4-2 and I just felt frustrated that all that effort in the regular season was just to get cheesed by the cheating cpu. If I didn't download it the disc would have been snapped. So yeah that's my rant, not sure if anyone has any suggestions but I just needed to vent.
I haven't gotten to the playoffs yet, but I'm playing on Pro as well and right now me and the Spurs are on a tear through the league! If anything it's almost too easy... At first I struggled with my 66 OVR Playmaking Shot Creator PG. But too quickly as my stats rose, it became child's play to dominate most games.

The games were I get the most challenge is against real life top teams like the Lakers or the Bucks. Their defense put the clamp on me all game long and I'm reduced to having to find my teammates to generate some offense, which isn't always easy. Otherwise I usually cruise to 20 point wins most games and a player of the game selection.

I'm currently at 91 OVR, so I may have to up the difficulty to All-Star and see how that goes. I tried that earlier in MyCareer when I was in the low 70's ratings, where I was averaging 20 PPG, 5-6 APG and 2 RPG, suddenly I had trouble even getting 10 points and 1 assist per game. I will say that it was a lot more challenging that way, even though my team still won the few games I had it on all-star. But it started to get frustrating always missing my shots and my AI teammates not helping me out when I was on the court. And really I just want to get through my first season and put my player's growth behind me.

My only pet peeve is that I think player growth is too easy and too quick. I don't remember being able to go from a 66 ovr scrub to a 91 ovr superstar within 1 season in NBA 2K16. And I'm only 60 games into the season. In fact IIRC, at the same point in my career in that game I had managed to bring my player to a 76 ovr and I hadn't even been able to crack the starting lineup yet! In comparison I got into the starting rotation in NBA 2K20 after 15 games (sorry Forbes...)

I also think "greens" ruin the gameplay a bit. I don't remember them being this good back in the day. Even if you hit green back then, if you didn't have a high enough overall it wasn't a guaranteed basket. Now you can be 70 ovr in shooting, but as long as you have your shot timing down and hit green, it's money every time. Kinda waters down the gameplay a bit, IMO.

Also, I'd like to add that in games where I'm having trouble, I just switch up my game. Instead of looking for the inside play, I try to use my team a bit more. I mean I have Derozan, Murray, Gay and Aldridge with me and ONE of them has to be able to find the bucket when I can't. Although I don't know why my team decided to trade Poeltl for Lopez in my career... Also I don't know why my player's mood is constantly on "outraged"; I have the most minutes, I'm constantly their best player, I get tons of awards and accolades. The fans love me. The coaches love me. The players love me. I only choose dialogue options that puts my team in the light instead of choosing the selfish responses. It's weird... Maybe because my salary is still 1000vc per match? But it's my rookie season!! LOL!
Old 11-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5FromTheBean
Playoffs are simple. Just simulate every game until you have 3 wins in the finals. If your team loses the sim, just quickly restart the game closing the app and restarting again. The game will restart at the beginning again. I normally play the clinching game of the finals.

You should be able to win the title every season without fail and fill up your trophy area.
Thanks bro I will try this, should I literally just close the app as soon as I sim and see the end score? Will it actually let my team win if I keep doing that or is it fixed where everytime you sim to the end you lose? I only ask because I've simmed games before and my team loses everytime, even if it's against a poor team and my team is an elite team.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #14
Rookie

Thanks for the advice bro just won my first ring ever on a Nba 2k game, took a lot of restarts against tne Rockets in the Finals lol they're so OP but we got the W. Now going to create a big man build for the Nets
Old 12-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

So you didn't take anyones advice since you went on to cheat anyway?

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
Rookie

I did I took that guys advice and it worked

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »