Home

NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K20 Simulation Basketball Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedreanu
I am confused. Reaching foul tendency, if I remember correctly, there is no such thing? You meant reaching foul slider, right?

I always have all foul sliders at 100 except shooting ones, they are a bit lower.

The best way to achieve more non-shoting fouls, reaching ones in particular, is to lower the ball handling SLIDER to cca 15, give every player an ENFORCER badge and lower the ball security to 0.

But this creates other problems, CPU cant create a thing with such low ball handling.
Yes,I meant the reaching foul slider;I guess I read so much about tendencies in this thread that I wrote the wrong thing.

The best way I can explain it is that the foul sliders kind of work as a team on defense.The CPU takes these into consideration during gameplay and will tend toward the option (steal/strip vs contest/shot block,etc.) which is less likely to generate the foul.Think of it as the CPU coach telling his players "Hey guys, the refs are calling this foul tonight, so do this other thing on defense instead".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #66
Pro

YungGun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3

The best way I can explain it is that the foul sliders kind of work as a team on defense.The CPU takes these into consideration during gameplay and will tend toward the option (steal/strip vs contest/shot block,etc.) which is less likely to generate the foul.Think of it as the CPU coach telling his players "Hey guys, the refs are calling this foul tonight, so do this other thing on defense instead".
So wouldn't the best thing to for fouls be to give each foul slider the same value? That way the CPU won't try to cheat and use what's less likely to be called. In the default 2K sliders, majority of the foul sliders are set up this way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungGun
So wouldn't the best thing to for fouls be to give each foul slider the same value? That way the CPU won't try to cheat and use what's less likely to be called. In the default 2K sliders, majority of the foul sliders are set up this way.

yeah, I had all foul sliders to max for quite a while and very little nonshooters appeared

btw fouls fall with speeding up the game - no dribble drive and nosetup dribble tendencies are quite irritating in original roster, but when set high as they should be and combined with higher DISH (to stop spamming the layups and have more the drive and kicks) the game is so fast that defensive players dont even get a chance to make a foul, they are constantly in the chase

good example was this experimental cpu vs cpu match of mine, really great flow, maybe even to great:

https://youtu.be/u4X5u-DzBss

only 11 fouls with stealing tendency for ALL players to max!
with physical defense for both teams
and with all players having enforcer badge

unnacceptable!

also, 37 assists for warriors is a bit to high but ok, if theres some aspects I am willing to sacrifice in trying to achieve realistic look, thats it

Last edited by Vedreanu; 05-17-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #68
Pro

YungGun's Arena

Quote:

only 11 fouls with stealing tendency for ALL players to max!
with physical defense for both teams
and with all players having enforcer badge

unnacceptable!
Yeah, idk what's the deal with tendencies, but they either don't work this year or I'm doing something wrong. Even with the reach tendency maxed, and all other defensive tendencies zeroed out, I don't think players are reaching in enough. I even raised the steal slider to 100, and they're still not reaching.

You said something that was interesting tho in regards to the speed or pace of the game itself having an effect on fouls. I never thought about that, but it makes sense if you look at the NBA today. Now I have to fire up 2K and do some more testing

Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:

It's a good place to start.Increase all of the foul sliders a bit to the same value and see where the game is at;if there is a particular problem with certain fouls still not being called,you can then go back in and tweak them just a little bit to try and bring them up.

In your case, you didn't think there were enough reaching fouls.A good baseline to start with would be all foul sliders to 70, then bump up Shooting Fouls by 2 or 3 points, and see where things are at.Also make sure that Go For On Ball Steals isn't set super low.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, idk what's the deal with tendencies, but they either don't work this year or I'm doing something wrong. Even with the reach tendency maxed, and all other defensive tendencies zeroed out, I don't think players are reaching in enough. I even raised the steal slider to 100, and they're still not reaching.

You said something that was interesting tho in regards to the speed or pace of the game itself having an effect on fouls. I never thought about that, but it makes sense if you look at the NBA today. Now I have to fire up 2K and do some more testing
Tendencies either work in such a complex way its almost impossible to comprehend for outsiders like us, or most are just broken. I think its a bit of both.

Players will start to reach more when the ball handler is bad, aka when setting the ball handling slider low. Try with 0-15, you will definitely see a bunch more non-shooters called. But, its not the same game anymore with such a low ball handling value.

MAYBE something can be achieved by pushing SHOOTING DEFENSE - GATHER slider high, like 70+. This way defenders should be playing much closer to attacking players, but the sideeffect of this is - less three pointer taken globaly. Which is a big no-no for me
If I have to sacrifice something, then let it be the reaching fouls.

ANOTHER option is setting all defenders to TIGHT/SMOTHER defense. But,
1) I dont like having all players being guarded the same way. It doesnt make sense. Giannis for instance is gonna love it.

2) ACE appears to override this defensive setting the most! I've had some success by applying various defensive settings, but some get overiden, some dont. Seems to me that on-ball/off-ball defense is one of those aspects ACE bypasess the most.

(Just cant get AI players to keep tight on Brook bloody Lopez and stop giving him open 3 after open 3 all day long. I mean really!! What the hell is even that?? Why is ACE so stupid regarding those things? Choosing to guard on GAP the man who's only outsite threat is 3p shot, ffs!?

I mean, even he calls himself the SPLASH MOUNTAIN )

Last edited by Vedreanu; 05-17-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #71
Rookie

And btw, since we have some nice discussion going - maybe someone can finally fill me up regarding COACH badges and game styles:

do they have any influence on the gameplay whatsoever?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #72
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
What do you think lowering the DRIVE tendency would achieve? I always thought "DRIVE" is the main parameter which also regulates the occurence of FINNISH behaviour.
In other words: if a player has his DRIVE tendency set to 100, he will use every possible opportunity to drive to the basket and DRIVE*FINNISH/100 would be the formula for "real" tendency for relentless driving to the rim, aka true finnishing.
What you described is how it worked in 2K19, but I haven’t seen the same behavior in 2K20.

As far as I can tell from testing, the Drive tendency in 2K20 controls how long the dribble drive remains active inside of the paint. The Attack tendency controls the style of drive once the player reaches the paint. Layup/dunk/floater tendencies and Slashing badges determine the style of finish inside of the paint.

I’ve used the Drive tendency at 0 for most players to get rid of the forced shots through defenders when a player drives to the paint but isn’t driving aggressively. In other words, using Drive as the likelihood of driving through contact instead of using dribble drives. In reality, the play design and other tendencies have MUCH more to do with whether a player will attempt to use the dribble to penetrate a defense from the Mid/3PT ranges. The Spot Up Drive & Off-Screen Drive tendencies are much more useful to create style of play for individual players than using the global Drive tendency.

Attack vs Dish to Open Man is a more important relationship than Attack/Drive. I agree with you that having the Dish/Pass tendency higher than Attack allows the CPU to play more realistically and keeps the ball moving in half court sets. I don’t set them based on their relationship, but my scales for Dish to Open are 50-99.

Last edited by youALREADYknow; 05-18-2020 at 09:24 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »