Home

We Deserve a Separate Button for Dunks & Layups

This is a discussion on We Deserve a Separate Button for Dunks & Layups within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
We Deserve a Separate Button for Dunks & Layups

Picture this your 7ft tall with a standing dunk rating of 99 because your a 99ovr you have the ball right up under the basket, with a 6'10 C on your back but the basket is right in front of you and he is behind you. Your going for the easy 1 hand slam but instead u throw up a weak layup that gets affected by his intimidator badge and him jumping, so you miss a direct under the basket easy bucket that any real person would have dunked because u cant control rather or not u decide to lay the ball up or dunk it.

Lets be realistic when has anyone been running at the rim or at the rim and not known if they were going to dunk the ball or lay it up... Its so fake and un-realistic we should easily be able to choose if we want to try a dunk or a layup for example layups could be square and dunks could be Triangle...if anyone else has this problem where u go for a layup at the wrong opportunity sound off here and hopefully 2k sees this and makes the simple adjustment for us

Sent from my LM-X220 using Operation Sports mobile app

R.I.P King Kobe

PSN:Jfingaz27
Twitter: @Jof3_
Twitch: JOF3

Best places: Mount Carmel High School, ESPN 1000

R.I.P MOM . Father of Jerry IV, Jaiden, Jeremiah and Mila-Rose
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #2
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We Deserve a Separate Button for Dunks & Layups

That wouldn't be any different than now. You can't dunk just by pressing the shoot button. You have to hold turbo and the shoot button together so:

shoot button = layup = input 1

shoot button + turbo = dunk = input 2

Two separate "buttons" for two separate animations.

What you really want is for a dunk animation(whether it's successful or not) to happen no matter what as long as you input the dunking controls. That could happen just as easily with the current button layout.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:38 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBalla21
That wouldn't be any different than now. You can't dunk just by pressing the shoot button. You have to hold turbo and the shoot button together so:

shoot button = layup = input 1

shoot button + turbo = dunk = input 2

Two separate "buttons" for two separate animations.

What you really want is for a dunk animation(whether it's successful or not) to happen no matter what as long as you input the dunking controls. That could happen just as easily with the current button layout.
U said what i wanted to say so much better than me

Sent from my LM-X220 using Operation Sports mobile app

R.I.P King Kobe

PSN:Jfingaz27
Twitter: @Jof3_
Twitch: JOF3

Best places: Mount Carmel High School, ESPN 1000

R.I.P MOM . Father of Jerry IV, Jaiden, Jeremiah and Mila-Rose
Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 AM   #4
MVP

tru11's Arena

lay ups and dunk already have a different input.

Not to mention all buttons are pretty much taken.

Also the animations are based on more then just ratings and button input.

Tendency, badges, positioning and such all play the part to determine what animation you will get.
Fatigue also plays a huge role in the equation.

What we could need is contact being called as a foul much more.
Also the area of effect of defenders needs to be lowered.

Positioning favors defense more then it does offense now and i suspect that intimidator is the cause.

Although it seems its lessend compared to it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

I think you overestimate how often players dunk IRL. Maybe if this was NBA Jam would you dedicate an entire button.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
lay ups and dunk already have a different input.

Not to mention all buttons are pretty much taken.

Also the animations are based on more then just ratings and button input.

Tendency, badges, positioning and such all play the part to determine what animation you will get.
Fatigue also plays a huge role in the equation.

What we could need is contact being called as a foul much more.
Also the area of effect of defenders needs to be lowered.

Positioning favors defense more then it does offense now and i suspect that intimidator is the cause.

Although it seems its lessend compared to it used to be.

Offline player here, and I completely agree. There are many times where I am in front of a defender but still get sucked into a canimation (lol, remember that word?) It's almost as if the positioning on the court doesn't matter as much as the badges and other things. I understand if there's a player with higher defensive ratings than an offensive player. But if you got beat, you got beat. I shouldn't have to pay because the game wants to showcase a badge or showcase a rating. Not at all saying that they shouldn't matter, but if I have position on you or if I beat you to a spot, that should override your badge and your rating.

Kind of like rebounding. If you box someone out and you have good position, there should be no reason for them to grab the rebound because they have more badges or are higher rated. Position is position. What I see happening in the game should make sense as opposed to just saying "Oh yea Bam had great position and boxed out Anthony Davis, but because AD has more rebounding badges and has a higher rebound rating, he got the rebound."

Go MIAMI Teams!!

Last edited by wrestlinggod1; 04-18-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
I completely agree. There are many times where I am in front of a defender but still get sucked into a canimation (lol, remember that word?) It's almost as if the positioning on the court doesn't matter as much as the badges and other things. I understand if there's a player with higher defensive ratings than an offensive player. But if you got beat, you got beat. I shouldn't have to pay because the game wants to showcase a badge or showcase a rating. Not at all saying that they shouldn't matter, but if I have position on you or if I beat you to a spot, that should override your badge and your rating.
Kind of like rebounding. If you box someone out and you have good position, there should be no reason for them to grab the rebound because they have more badges or are higher rated. Position is position. What I see happening in the game should make sense as a opposed to saying "Oh yea Bam had great position and boxed out Anthony Davis, but because AD has more rebounding badges and has a higher rebound rating, he got the rebound."
Sometimes ratings don't even matter. My friend has a pure slasher with a max dunk rating and he can have a full head of steam, start a dunk animation, get knocked out of that animation for one that looks like a foul and not have a foul called.

We joke all the time about how my 84 rated 2-way sharp draws more fouls on layups than his 97 rated slasher.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #8
Banned

Housh123's Arena

I feel like everyone responding needs to say if they play online or not

Because some of the stuff y’all saying i would never expect from an online player

The OP is absolutely correct and the ppl saying otherwise i can only assume don’t play online

This board seriously needs to have identifiers.

The dunk and layup bottoms absolutely needs to be separated and idk how anyone could say otherwise. Dudes literally just drive randomly HOPING to get a dunk. If getting a dunk was harder it would increase the skill gap

But we alll have to realize a lot of the ppl on this board only post because they suck

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »