Home

it amazes me 2k still won't allow for archetype/build change in myplayer

This is a discussion on it amazes me 2k still won't allow for archetype/build change in myplayer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #33
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: it amazes me 2k still won't allow for archetype/build change in myplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
100% agree. I forgot which one it was, but either NBA 2K15 and/or 2K216 showed you what people will do with "too much freedom" at player creation. Those were the years of the 7'0" SF Demigods. If you were to YouTube "best builds" then, they were all literally building the same SF. I wanted to have a center then, but I was getting killed in the park, and the REC was a cesspool of snobbary if you wasn't a SF demigod. Who wants to wait an hour to get in one game of 5v5? Nowadays, there's at least some variety in the videos respectively. Yes, there are some common "best builds" out there based on the position, but they're not all showing videos to build the same SF to play in all modes.

Take Two is a business first. Like you, I don't care that much about the whole VC thing, but I think they struck a "fair" balance with it this year. Hell, I created two builds myself relatively quick. If there's one thing that I would to change is how fast you can get Rep. That crap is slow as hell to build up, but I get it. Everyone can't be an Elite before the next game comes out.
It was 2k15 and yes it was as bad just in different way. But it had nothing to do with "freedom" u simply had enough upgrade to max near everything and u could get every single badge at max level. They just didn't yet add required athletism , ball control and shooting caps for heights/wingspans like the next games which broke balance completely. Also contested shooting was really too good with Deadeye badge.

2K16 had best the system by far, you had quite all around player with certain upsides and severe ball control/speed/shooting nerf the taller your player is. Also gameplay overall was most balanced than any 2k before or afterwards.

I personally have no problem at all to do well online with this system, but it doesn't make it "fine" by default. I don't get this hurt feeling about the suggestions for quality of life improvements, like adding change of height and weight suddenly would get 2k to bankrupt lol.

Quote:
To say there's not enough information to tell you what badges do and their impact is a complete lie. There are a LOT of videos and websites (NBA 2KLabs and NBA 2K Tutes) that go in-depth on the impacts of the badges. Yes, 2K Sports doesn't explain the numerical impacts of the badges, but the information is out there. Plus, if you don't like the badge, you CAN choose something else instead. Stop acting like that if you chose Rim Protector HOF as one your badges, you're stuck with that badge forever. You can change it at the next upgrade, or whenever you feel like it when you max out the category.
Nowhere i said there is no information outside the game itself. Its just the essential stuff SHOULD be stated before you start adjusting anything in the game. From perspective of brand new player , isn't it abit of bs to look for 3rd party information on thing u haven't played yet or if its early time after release and no reliable info on social media at all.

Last edited by Vroman; 05-20-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #34
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Man... This is crazy.

It doesn't matter what build you make, position you pick, pie chart, physical attributes, we've all made builds we wish we could have done something differently. Even if height/weight/position were still locked, having the ability to reset your attribute points, pick a different physical pie chart, or even swapping out a different takeover. This would infinitely enhance the replay value for each character we make.

My idea of being able to even reset your career season with a new roster to include player trades after the deadline would make career worth playing halfway into the game cycle.

If you could "start again" in any facet, no matter what that entails, regardless of whatever restrictions are put on it, it would be worth it.

The fact that this is such a widespread feature in many online games but not 2k is an issue worth talking about at least.

Just having a conversation about how cool that would be and the possibilities that would open up shouldn't be met with the level of hostility a few guys here show.

What happened to just spitballing? Being creative.

For me, this would be an awesome addition. I'd be excited for something NEW about MyCareer. Because you've NEVER been able to just START OVER.

New Game+ is awesome for single player RPGs. An implementation of that idea to a sports video game? What? That's totally sweet.

Hell... If they had this on Madden it would be awesome too.

Ok... You've gotten your player to 99. You've won the NBA Finals 10 times. You've got all your badges. But your team just traded for Anthony Davis. You really want to build up another character from scratch? Or would you prefer a "reset" function to a character you know was fun, but maybe you want some more speed. You want some more shooting.

Why is this a bad idea?
The short answer is "They can...but you're likely not the way we'd imagine,because people can't be trusted to control themselves."

I'm not afraid to say that the idea has some merit; the thing is it would have to be very strictly implemented because if you let people go around resetting whenever they please,people will do it repeatedly...most likely as soon as the first little thing goes wrong.While useful for players,from 2K's perspective it is a bad idea.

Again the main objective here for Take 2 is to make money,particularly via microtransactions.If people are going around resetting so much,they're likely not spending much,if any,money on VC.

The CEO of Take 2 has already stated in the past that their goal is to get every costumer spend something along lines of at least an additional $60 per year on micros.That puts these two pretty well directly at odds with each other since it basically kills all the other incentivization 2K towards VC has built into game,at least as it pertains to MyPlayer.Like it or not,2K is kind of counting on people making mistakes or not being careful with their MyPlayer because it drives additional business for them.

For an idea like that to be worth it to them, you'd likely end up having to spend so much VC that it would near equivalent to what you'd spend building a new character....which puts us right back at square 1.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #35
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroman
It was 2k15 and yes it was as bad just in different way. But it had nothing to do with "freedom" u simply had enough upgrade to max near everything and u could get every single badge at max level. They just didn't yet add required athletism , ball control and shooting caps for heights/wingspans like the next games which broke balance completely. Also contested shooting was really too good with Deadeye badge.

2K16 had best the system by far, you had quite all around player with certain upsides and severe ball control/speed/shooting nerf the taller your player is. Also gameplay overall was most balanced than any 2k before or afterwards.

I personally have no problem at all to do well online with this system, but it doesn't make it "fine" by default. I don't get this hurt feeling about the suggestions for quality of life improvements, like adding change of height and weight suddenly would get 2k to bankrupt lol.

Nowhere i said there is no information outside the game itself. Its just the essential stuff SHOULD be stated before you start adjusting anything in the game. From perspective of brand new player , isn't it abit of bs to look for 3rd party information on thing u haven't played yet or if its early time after release and no reliable info on social media at all.
Honestly, I'm about accountability. People should take the time to learn the game and its mechanics instead of diving headfirst into it. This could be me as a person, but I really believe in...if you make a mistake then learn from it.

If you allow people to "respec" their characters, then most people will stop building multiple builds which impacts the VC revenue. Basic economics. Why take the time to build up another character when you can change the current one to whatever? Great for consumers, sucks for the company. Sounds good until the consumers start complaining about there's no innovation with the game, because 2K Sports didn't generate the extra profit to explore different ideas with the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
100% agree. I forgot which one it was, but either NBA 2K15 and/or 2K216 showed you what people will do with "too much freedom" at player creation. Those were the years of the 7'0" SF Demigods. If you were to YouTube "best builds" then, they were all literally building the same SF. I wanted to have a center then, but I was getting killed in the park, and the REC was a cesspool of snobbary if you wasn't a SF demigod. Who wants to wait an hour to get in one game of 5v5? Nowadays, there's at least some variety in the videos respectively. Yes, there are some common "best builds" out there based on the position, but they're not all showing videos to build the same SF to play in all modes.

Take Two is a business first. Like you, I don't care that much about the whole VC thing, but I think they struck a "fair" balance with it this year. Hell, I created two builds myself relatively quick. If there's one thing that I would to change is how fast you can get Rep. That crap is slow as hell to build up, but I get it. Everyone can't be an Elite before the next game comes out.
I agree.There are definitely things 2K could do better in the MyPlayer build process,especially in the area of giving concrete numbers when it comes to animations and how badges work, instead of some vague description.Still, I will take the current system over the days of every player being able to shoot like Ray Allen,dunk like Vince Carter, rebound like Rodman,etc. that you mentioned.

You make a point about fair balance.One thing I learned working in retail is that there is kind of a tug of war going on between the consumer and the business....each wants as much of an advantage as possible and if it goes too far either way, you've got problems.If a business has it all their way and they'll be price gouging and charging you just to walk into the front door.....let the customer have it all their way and they'll only offer pennies on the dollar for items and be able to exchange it for a new one indefinitely so they'd never have to make another purchase ever again.It really is a fine balancing act.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #37
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
The short answer is "They can...but you're likely not the way we'd imagine,because people can't be trusted to control themselves."

I'm not afraid to say that the idea has some merit; the thing is it would have to be very strictly implemented because if you let people go around resetting whenever they please,people will do it repeatedly...most likely as soon as the first little thing goes wrong.While useful for players,from 2K's perspective it is a bad idea.

Again the main objective here for Take 2 is to make money,particularly via microtransactions.If people are going around resetting so much,they're likely not spending much,if any,money on VC.

The CEO of Take 2 has already stated in the past that their goal is to get every costumer spend something along lines of at least an additional $60 per year on micros.That puts these two pretty well directly at odds with each other since it basically kills all the other incentivization 2K towards VC has built into game,at least as it pertains to MyPlayer.Like it or not,2K is kind of counting on people making mistakes or not being careful with their MyPlayer because it drives additional business for them.

For an idea like that to be worth it to them, you'd likely end up having to spend so much VC that it would near equivalent to what you'd spend building a new character....which puts us right back at square 1.
Pretty much, and I didn't even think about how they would "compensate" for the VC loss if they even dared do that. Probably would take 5 months just to get your player to an 80, but "Hey! You can totally respec your character once you get to 95!". Naw...I'm good. I hated that level of grind in NBA 2K18. The VC grind was ridiculous!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #38
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
I agree.There are definitely things 2K could do better in the MyPlayer build process,especially in the area of giving concrete numbers when it comes to animations and how badges work, instead of some vague description.Still, I will take the current system over the days of every player being able to shoot like Ray Allen,dunk like Vince Carter, rebound like Rodman,etc. that you mentioned.

You make a point about fair balance.One thing I learned working in retail is that there is kind of a tug of war going on between the consumer and the business....each wants as much of an advantage as possible and if it goes too far either way, you've got problems.If a business has it all their way and they'll be price gouging and charging you just to walk into the front door.....let the customer have it all their way and they'll only offer pennies on the dollar for items and be able to exchange it for a new one indefinitely so they'd never have to make another purchase ever again.It really is a fine balancing act.
Sounds like you took the same college business classes that I took, lol. You hit it dead on the nail. There's a fine balance between the two groups.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #39
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Quote:
Honestly, I'm about accountability. People should take the time to learn the game and its mechanics instead of diving headfirst into it. This could be me as a person, but I really believe in...if you make a mistake then learn from it.

If you allow people to "respec" their characters, then most people will stop building multiple builds which impacts the VC revenue. Basic economics. Why take the time to build up another character when you can change the current one to whatever? Great for consumers, sucks for the company. Sounds good until the consumers start complaining about there's no innovation with the game, because 2K Sports didn't generate the extra profit to explore different ideas with the game.
Didn't say you should just get free respec to anything that you get basically multiple builds for free, you didn't read posts and assumed things so wrong.
Adjusting current build =/= having multiple builds for free, you'd still have to make different builds if you want different style/position players.
Last part most funny. Revenue kept growing over the years and the "innovation" we getting are more and more silly sponsored events, near unplayable park, dodgeball, trivia, expensive actors for mycareer story. But basic improvements for actual gameplay modes are nono(pro am not improved since 2k16 for example) .
Old 05-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #40
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroman
Didn't say you should just get free respec to anything that you get basically multiple builds for free, you didn't read posts and assumed things so wrong.
Adjusting current build =/= having multiple builds for free, you'd still have to make different builds if you want different style/position players.
Last part most funny. Revenue kept growing over the years and the "innovation" we getting are more and more silly sponsored events, near unplayable park, dodgeball, trivia, expensive actors for mycareer story. But basic improvements for actual gameplay modes are nono(pro am not improved since 2k16 for example) .
How about you explain it to us in details?

Are you talking about paying VC to change the takeover? (I could live with this)

Are you talking about paying VC to redistributed the points within the same category, as a result, you're still maintaining the same number of badges? (I could live with this too)

What change are you exactly talking about?

And don't lie to yourself...the extra VC revenue does help in the development of the game. Whether or not you like the changes is a different story.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »