Home

Should 2k Allow Us to Pay for Badges?

This is a discussion on Should 2k Allow Us to Pay for Badges? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

The game is already pay to win as it is so why not just let people pay for the badge upgrades instead of forcing players to repeatedly grind monotonous tasks while reinforcing horrible play styles. I mean, even after I have a fully grinded myplayer, i still have to purchase boosts to be on an even playing field. Why not just save competitive players the hassle and allow them to bypass the grind. Players like me would actually spend more money by creating new builds if I knew i would not have to spend a plethora of hours doing something that is just not fun for me to do.

The only reason not to do this from 2K's perspective is so that they can keep the illusion that it is not a pay to win game, or so they can present the amount of time spent played in mycareer. They could put in a minimum attribute system for what overall a player would need to be to unlock a certain badge level. For instance I would need an 80 block rating for a silver rim protector, 90 gold, 95 hof. That way we could just play the mycareer games in a legit manner of realistic basketball instead of trying to job the system with getting 20 alleyoop dunks but forcing 15 turnovers at the same time. What most people are playing in mycareer is not basketball.

This also would keep the cheaters who find every badge glitch and don't get caught from having such a huge advantage early on. And it might make them even more money. I am just wondering how the PR hit would be, and would the community revolt at this idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Re: Should 2k Allow Us to Pay for Badges?

I wouldn't be too terribly against the idea. I personally would probably put a tighter restriction on it in some shape or form so people can't be maxed out players on Day 1. I think I would require at least one playthrough of the my career mode, or your first player has to reach an overall of 95 to "unlock" the option for a second build. I'm just spit balling at the moment.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 AM   #3
MVP

tru11's Arena

They used to have it so in dont see why not

They where hidden behind rating requirements though and people did not like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-22-2020, 03:25 AM   #4
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
They used to have it so in dont see why not

They where hidden behind rating requirements though and people did not like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Never had option to get badge without grinding. Only had VC cost to upgrade it to highest level once u unlock it.
I don't know where you taking this from that people "didnt like it" , never seen a complaint that lets say you need high reb rating for rebounding badge and you should get it with whatever rating.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
MVP

jk31's Arena

while i think that in General, playing These my Player modes online together with friends may be fun, i am glad that i am completely away from this arcade Nonsense that it is today.

i still think for online it should not be possible that There are 10 90+ players running around, but Yeah, do as you please, throw more and more money in the mouth of the 2k demon. maybe its Not 2k who i should hate but you people who Ruin the game with your money spending Attitude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 05:38 AM   #6
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
while i think that in General, playing These my Player modes online together with friends may be fun, i am glad that i am completely away from this arcade Nonsense that it is today.

i still think for online it should not be possible that There are 10 90+ players running around, but Yeah, do as you please, throw more and more money in the mouth of the 2k demon. maybe its Not 2k who i should hate but you people who Ruin the game with your money spending Attitude.
If company itself has the lowest standards to just look for most exploiting monetizing schemes within fully paid product, then players attitude doesnt matter. Company will always think players spend too little and instead focusing on evolving the product and making it more fun its all about advancing the smarter "schemes" to lure as much money possible from whoever willing to pay at all.

You'd think if people will stop paying things could change, but that's not true. At first game would go free to play to get more people in play and paying for micro transaction or if it really stop accumulating wanted income for corporate suits , it would just cease to exist at all. Thats what happened to NBA Live since 2011 failure, company didn't just magically "learned" of mistakes, it just came to point to close the studio.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31

I thought that I would never see the day where I would actually defend the MyPlayer mode, but...you got it completely wrong, homie.

You know that I am/was (haven't decided for NBA 2K21) mostly a PNO player. I'm speaking the truth here, but the MyPlayer mode is the reason why 2K Sports can keep pushing the game for more (good or bad) innovations. Also, it's not as arcade as you think it is unless you play MyPark which, to me, makes sense that it would seem more arcade in nature. 3v3 basketball makes it hard to have sim elements when it's so easy to get open and score. REC is what the NBA side of the game should play like. Real talk. Minus stupid/selfish teammates and bully squads, I'm starting to favor the gameplay and statistical RESULTS of REC waaaaayyyy more than PNO.

In REC, the matchmaking keeps players 93 and lower together, and 93+ overalls most times than not. So, it's really not 10 90+ players running around together. You play the game according to your playing style, and you have fun. Will there be incredible performances every now and then? Of course, but that's no different when you play offline and VO lights up a team for 40 points. Sometimes, the game mechanics and situations lends itself to someone having a great game. As a center, I was 2 assists and 2 blocks short of a quadruple double.

If anything, you should be mad at 2K Sports for not taking that extra money to invest in some new servers and/or increasing the size of development team. Like you, I thought VC was a terrible thing, but I think they really did strike a good balance between earning and buying VC in NBA 2K20...damn, I actually defended microtransactions too, lol.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 05-22-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
MVP

tru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroman
Never had option to get badge without grinding. Only had VC cost to upgrade it to highest level once u unlock it.
I don't know where you taking this from that people "didnt like it" , never seen a complaint that lets say you need high reb rating for rebounding badge and you should get it with whatever rating.
Never said you could purchase badges without grinding.

OP was talking about badge upgrades which indeed could be purchased as i said.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »