Home

Been watching NBA Restart.

This is a discussion on Been watching NBA Restart. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #1
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

Giannis is proving how dominant he is yet again. Even with how dominant he is in the game, he's not represented as he should. His long strides to the paint need to mean more. The way he uses his leverage in the high post, turns and is at the rim in one step launching over everyone. Its just too unreal watching it live. No way 2k is giving him a true representation of his dominance.

Zion played like 12 minutes yesterday and ping ponged around everyone. We've never seen anyone like Giannis before, long strong and lanky. Zion is the opposite. Short, stout and unreal with his touch and vertical. Boy is going to be a problem for a long time.

Luka and KP are also just vastly misrepresented. KP is a sniper at 7'3. He shoots 4-5 feet behind the line with regularity. Last i checked he doesn't have the limitless range badge at all. And the way he crashes to the rim is elegant. He's truly a Unicorn gliding on the court. His strides and athleticism are a ridiculous combo. Luka meanwhile is just so crafty. Everything he does is polished and the game has him with 60 ratings in the post and high 80s on dribbling. There's not a flaw besides his outside shooting in his offensive game.

James Harden is ridiculous.

All i got right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Been watching NBA Restart.

i am an offline player who does not seek to exploit the game in any way, playing MyLeague exclusively with a sim approach, and i have never seen a player as good as giannis is in game. LeBron is the only other player that comes close in terms of 2K19-2K20. i would imagine this is what bo jackson felt like in tecmo bowl for those who grew up on that. with that being said, apart from more signature animations, i don't know how they are supposed to do a better job replicating what you're seeing on the court and it would have been nice if you left some suggestions as this could have been posted in another thread or sub forum. remember that player ratings are almost entirely adjustable/subjective.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Rookie

m29a's Arena

I watched most of the games as well but don't fully agree on some points. I think there is some slight exaggerations, especially basing it off a single game for these players.

I'd say most people playing the game aren't going to want Giannis to be even more effective than he already is. It'd be way too easy and automatic, especially with how some people already feel about driving/blow-bys as-is.

Zion has shown to be very efficient on offense, but at times struggles on defense when he can zone out. If we're basing off the last game, while he shot 6 for 8, his +/- was -16 in just 15 minutes of play which is... not good. That said, very bright future for him as long he stays healthy.

As for Luka/KP, I think they're represented reasonably well. If you meant crashing with regards to rebounding, KP isn't typically known to rebound aggressively especially with poor box outs, but he was able to rebound very well because the Rockets are undersized and not good at rebounding with their lineups. As for KP 3 pt shooting, he was 35% so far for the year which is pretty close to league average. I'd agree though he should probably have limitless range.

James Harden is indeed ridiculous, though in terms of defense he certainly played a role (like the rest of the team) in allowing the Mavs to get the basket with incredible ease for the first 3 quarters of the game when they gave up a massive amount of points.

I'm just saying it's good to have a balanced take on things and not get too carried away.

Last edited by m29a; 08-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

Giannis is too overpowered in NBA 2k20... plain and simple. In the real world he is a dominant beast but not as much as he is in the game if you know how to use it...
Old 08-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

Ben Simmons is another one of those players who are overpowered. In real life he’s not aggressive all the time. But in 2K since he’s a 6’10 point guard with ball handling and speed he creates a huge mismatch and his dunk animations are crazy.

In general I think height creates too much of an advantage. Guys like Tacko and Boban are way better in 2K than what they are in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by El_Tercero; 08-01-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #6
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Regardless of how effective they are, the game isn't at a point where foot planting and length of stride makes a difference.

These players should be transcendent. They're all generational talents.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
I watched most of the games as well but don't fully agree on some points. I think there is some slight exaggerations, especially basing it off a single game for these players.

I'd say most people playing the game aren't going to want Giannis to be even more effective than he already is. It'd be way too easy and automatic, especially with how some people already feel about driving/blow-bys as-is.

Zion has shown to be very efficient on offense, but at times struggles on defense when he can zone out. If we're basing off the last game, while he shot 6 for 8, his +/- was -16 in just 15 minutes of play which is... not good. That said, very bright future for him as long he stays healthy.

As for Luka/KP, I think they're represented reasonably well. If you meant crashing with regards to rebounding, KP isn't typically known to rebound aggressively especially with poor box outs, but he was able to rebound very well because the Rockets are undersized and not good at rebounding with their lineups. As for KP 3 pt shooting, he was 35% so far for the year which is pretty close to league average. I'd agree though he should probably have limitless range.

James Harden is indeed ridiculous, though in terms of defense he certainly played a role (like the rest of the team) in allowing the Mavs to get the basket with incredible ease for the first 3 quarters of the game when they gave up a massive amount of points.

I'm just saying it's good to have a balanced take on things and not get too carried away.
Kinda off topic but using plus-minus for a single game is...problematic. It can easily be skewed by mini shooting streaks/slumps in game and doesn't account for opponent/teammate strength at all.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Regardless of how effective they are, the game isn't at a point where foot planting and length of stride makes a difference.
I can see stride being implemented as a tendency or slider the way shorts length goes from 1-10 iirc, so maybe the average 6'3 player would have stride length set at 35 and Giannis would be at or above 95 or something ridiculous like that, if that makes sense

I also think they should just have their motion capture guys go in and perform basic actions such as rim runs off a screen, all out sprints from one end of the court to the other, putting the ball on the floor after a triple threat move, etc. just so that they can have multiple preset running styles (think MLBTS) designed to represent the variety of different ways players move on the court. I get that the point of this thread was more towards separating the elite players from everyone else but I think the way to actually do that is to have it so that no one player looks or feels the same animation wise.

this is a concept obviously already in the game via dribbling and shot styles but it ought to expand to include things like rebounding, passing, and running as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »