Home

How to possibly fix the broken shooting mechanic

This is a discussion on How to possibly fix the broken shooting mechanic within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
How to possibly fix the broken shooting mechanic

The interview with Mike Wang/Agent inspired me to make this topic. I'm sure that this will never make it past here (not enough 'clout' to get it to someone who will actually listen and at least consider it), but it is what it is.

IMO, the 100% green release system needs to go. Or, at least be completely reworked. Because of how the shot mechanic/jumpshot system works, the game had devolved into 'Looking on YouTube and 2k Lab for the fastest shot with the largest green 'window.' This has caused an utter shooting imbalance that I'm not sure both the devs or players TRULY grasp, as it allows players to completely circumvent their given shot rating, making it a completely useless stat. It allows, and promotes, non-shooting builds to become snipers.

This should NEVER be the case. It doesn't allow for actual basketball defensive strategies, as in being able to help off of below average to poor shooters. I shouldn't have to fear Ben Simmons, Steven Adams, or Andre Roberson from the perimeter because a user 'knows' the player's particular shot animation. And allowing for a 100% scenario is simply not good for the game, because it completely overrides the ratings put in place for players based on their build/archetype.

My idea is to rework the shooting system to incorporate elements from the current mechanic, along with elements from past mechanics.

1.) Bring back shot success being based on shot rating and SHOT GRADE. Remember, in 2k's past, you could green a shot with anyone. However, if you shot a particular shot that the player doesn't normally make, you could easily end up with an 'Excellent D+" grade. Yeah, you timed Dwight's shot correctly, but you know darn well that he had no business shooting that shot. This would help to limit 'non-shooting builds' from doing things they aren't built to do. There would be a CHANCE that it will fall because it was timed right, but not with any sort of real consistency. "Make _____ beat us with his shooting" once again becomes a real strategy.

There could be two ways to follow the grade system based on your shot rating (I'm only including wide open shots for this instance). The first will be loosely based off of a school grading system for a more 'comp' setting, and the second being a scale that I made up for a more Park-like 'casual' experience.

COMPETITIVE:

99-97: A+
96-93: A
92-90: A-
(Elite shooters. If they get an excellent release, you can more or less count it. Very slim chance of open misses on greens. 93-99 rated shooters are probably the only ones who should have their greens be close to 100%, maybe 95%-99%?)

89-87: B+
86-83: B
82-80: B-
(Great to very good shooters. If they get an excellent release, there's still a really high chance of making the shot, but not particularly guaranteed.)

79-77: C+
76-73: C
72-70: C-
(Average, middle-of-the-pack shooters. If they get an excellent release, they have a decent chance to make the shot, but can be spotty/hit-or-miss.)

69-67: D+
66-63: D
62-60: D-
(Subpar shooters. If they get an excellent release, it's pretty much a dice roll. You can start to leave them open, as they will struggle to hit with any sort of consistency, but the higher-end shooters can surprise the defense if they get on a roll with a couple Dimer-assisted passes.)

59-below: F
(You can pretty much walk away from them. If they get an excellent release, you can live with the results, because they aren't going to beat you from outside with a wildly inconsistent shot.)

PARK/CASUAL:

99-95: A+
90-94: A
89-85: A-
84-80: B+
79-75: B
74-70: B-
69-65: C+
64-60: C
59-55: C-
54-50: D+

(Meant to simulate players messing around on outdoor courts. They'll hit more shots out there than they normally would in more competitive settings, ala Hoodie Melo.)

2.) ALL jumpshots should have the same green window size, with the placement of the window moving depending on shot speed. This is a no-brainer. One or two particular shot animations shouldn't completely overpower the other 95% of the jumpers placed in the game because of the green window size.

3.) Almost all shot types should be 'greenable', from wide open to shots that are heavily contested, excluding smothered. It sounds crazy, but hear me out. If you know where your release point is on the shot, it should only shrink slightly depending on the contest. However, because greens are NOT 100%, it all falls back on SHOT RATING, with badges being a supplement. "Good offense beats good defense." Sometimes you can do everything right on defense, and an elite shooter/scorer can still make the shot. I'm not saying completely ignore defense, but only elite defenders should be able to stop an elite shooter from greening their shot (possibly a defense rating threshold that cuts off the ability to green?). But remember, just because they greened it doesn't mean it will fall.

4.) Ratings thresholds for badges and badge levels. Let's say they bring back the pie charts, and being able to pick whatever badges you want. Just like with animations, certain badges and badge levels should be locked behind a rating threshold.

99-90: HOF
89-80: Gold
79-70: Silver
69-60: Bronze
59-below: Nothing

This goes for Finishing, Playmaking, Defense and ESPECIALLY Shooting. Once again, this stops players from doing anything consistently that their build was not made to do.

With these changes, it will make people truly think about what archetype they want to make. If you want to make a pure defensive build, then know that even if you green your open shots, you still might not make it because your SHOT RATING, along with your SHOT GRADE are going to determine how consistently the shot falls.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 08-03-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

Re: How to possibly fix the broken shooting mechanic

Generally sounds like a good idea, though one could debate the exact numbers.

I for myself think that no player on the world should be able to hit 100% of his shots just by getting a green release. That just completely destroys any correlation to real basketball. Give a 99 rated player a real high percentage on a green shot, yes, but never, ever 100%!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Generally sounds like a good idea, though one could debate the exact numbers.

I for myself think that no player on the world should be able to hit 100% of his shots just by getting a green release. That just completely destroys any correlation to real basketball. Give a 99 rated player a real high percentage on a green shot, yes, but never, ever 100%!
Yeah, that's why I said 'probably'. But yeah, I can edit that part.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Pro

YungGun's Arena

Offline I agree, online I completely disagree. In a competitive setting, only greens should go in imo. You can't have randomness in competitive video games at all or you put players at a disadvantage they have no control over. At the same time, the higher the rating, the easier it should be for a guy to green a shot.

For example, if I MISS a wide open 3 with a high 3 ball then watch a guy MAKE the same wide open 3 with a lower 3 ball, that's some bs.

Last edited by YungGun; 08-03-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungGun
Offline I agree, online I completely disagree. In a competitive setting, only greens should go in imo. You can't have randomness in competitive video games at all or you put players at a disadvantage they have no control over. At the same time, the higher the rating, the easier it should be for a guy to green a shot.

For example, if I MISS a wide open 3 with a high 3 ball then watch a guy MAKE the same wide open 3 with a lower 3 ball, that's some bs.
no, thats Basketball.

how about that example: you habe two Teams. one plays solid basketball and outsmarts his opponent on many possessions while Not perfect at Timing shots, resulting in many close but Not perfect shots, the other one knows how to time his shots but does Not Really have any skill besides that. In the current setting, the latter one likely will win the game though the first one actually has more skill. i find that really unfair, or do you disagree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Pro

YungGun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
no, thats Basketball.

how about that example: you habe two Teams. one plays solid basketball and outsmarts his opponent on many possessions while Not perfect at Timing shots, resulting in many close but Not perfect shots, the other one knows how to time his shots but does Not Really have any skill besides that. In the current setting, the latter one likely will win the game though the first one actually has more skill. i find that really unfair, or do you disagree?
You're right, it is basketball, but 2K isn't basketball it's a GAME. Timing your jumpshot is a SKILL in a VIDEO GAME. If you can't do it and I can, I should get rewarded for that instead of my shot going in solely based on CHANCE.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
You're right, it is basketball, but 2K isn't basketball it's a GAME. Timing your jumpshot is a SKILL in a VIDEO GAME. If you can't do it and I can, I should get rewarded for that instead of my shot going in solely based on CHANCE.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
how much of a skill is timing when everyone can green a majority of their shots? whats next missing open layuos cause you didnt hit a green window?

getting open is the real skill and takes iq. your rating and openness should be a bigger factor than timing.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:

when it comes to competitive games how many are sport games? these suggestions sound like they come from a fps crowd.

when people talk about skill in this game all i hear is shooting.nobody talks about not being able to counter some of the bs

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »